Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iJny9956

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 16, 2012
Update 3

12 days of happiness... Having Ethernet problems once again out of the blue.

1. Ethernet is not detected even though I can AirPlay to it.
2. Works fantastically on WiFi

Damn:eek: it Apple fix this! (3 more days till media event so maybe then?)

filtre

macrumors newbie
Sep 15, 2014
12 days of happiness... Having Ethernet problems once again out of the blue.

1. Ethernet is not detected even though I can AirPlay to it.
2. Works fantastically on WiFi

Damn:eek: it Apple fix this! (3 more days till media event so maybe then?)

I asked for a refund because of that (I bought it 10 days ago).

It's a very disappointing unreliable piece of hardware.

A4orce84

macrumors 6502
Apr 17, 2012
Is there any way for us to download the next version of the OS? Even if it's in beta, I'd still get it if it fixes this Airplay issue.

Thanks,
Asif

iJny9956

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 16, 2012
update 7.0.1

has anyone installed this yet? so weary of updates form apple now :(

sctompa

macrumors newbie
Oct 27, 2014
(I wonder, I have AirPort Extreme AC, too.)

well here are the steps I took. you may laugh at this as this sounds like the good old days when you had to hit your TV several times for it to start working.

----

1. Did a factory Restore, just to make sure...

2. connected the Apple TV via WiFi, (the airplay still misbehaved over Ethernet at this time so i left it on WiFi sleep & airplay worked great while on WiFi, also i did log into all the services like store, home share etc.)

3. leave the apple TV on WiFi and let it go to sleep (I left mine over night)

4. without waking the apple TV plug in your Ethernet cable. I left this one in and constantly checked if the airplay service came up while the tv slept... so i left it sleeping over night once again.

5. Now I have a fully functional Apple TV

6. did a restart, did a unplug and everything works so far...:cool:

----

This does not make any sense, all I can say is that the update was not smooth for me and this is what fixed it for me, let me know if this works for any of you guys.

Did this and it's working again. Hopefully this will carry on working. Seems like the wifi woke up the wake up!

Cherish

macrumors member
Sep 27, 2014
Changing to Wifi worked for 5 days but the Airplay icon just suddenly stop appearing again. Resetting everything from iPhone to AppleTv also does not work. The problem will show up again!

So this is not a permanent fix and both Ethernet & Wifi has the same problem after latest update.

https://www.apple.com/feedback/appletv.html - Submit feedback to Apple so they will fix it asap!

peixesloucos

macrumors member
Dec 1, 2012
Brussels
I done a company reset and now Apple TV does not wake in WIFI setup.

Is there any fix?

Changing to Wifi worked for 5 days but the Airplay icon just suddenly stop appearing again. Resetting everything from iPhone to AppleTv also does not work. The problem will show up again!

So this is not a permanent fix and both Ethernet & Wifi has the same problem after latest update.

https://www.apple.com/feedback/appletv.html - Submit feedback to Apple so they will fix it asap!

Cherish

macrumors member
Sep 27, 2014
I done a company reset and now Apple TV does not wake in WIFI setup.

Is there any fix?

No permanent fix except setting your AppleTv to always on until Apple patches it.

Changing to Wifi or reset all device might only help for a couple of days but the problem will randomly show up on & off again.

Sym0

macrumors 6502
Jun 6, 2013
Yeah I have both variants of atv3 and the older one is patchy with waking, the switch to wifi has worked, but not sure how long. The newer variant has never let me down.

peixesloucos

macrumors member
Dec 1, 2012
Brussels
No permanent fix except setting your AppleTv to always on until Apple patches it.

Changing to Wifi or reset all device might only help for a couple of days but the problem will randomly show up on & off again.

My situation seems to be opposite. When I choose WIFI my Apple TV does not wake up and list under airplay options. If I connect my Airport Express to Apple TV with an ethernet cable, it is recognised and wakes up.

As soon as I remove the ethernet cable, the problem appears again.
Any one else have the same issue?

Exploding Hat

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2008
Could the latest update have been the reason my ATV nuked itself? Should I wait for the next software update to see if I can restore it from recovery mode or just chuck it?

iJny9956

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 16, 2012

I did several more hard resets including hooking it up to my computer via iTunes.

• AirPlay keeps disappearing
  • Apple TV also disappears from the Remote app via home share
  • Only way is to wake it manually with IR remote every single time!

Note:
Only my Apple TV 3 2013 rev is doing this, on the other hand the 2012 Apple TV 3 model is fine! Can anyone else confirm?

Here is where you can find more details.
http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/apple-tv/index-appletv.html

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
I have an older ATV3 with this problem. AirPlay is actually displayed on other devices, but it won't connect unless I manually wake it. Hoping for a fix soon!

tonyr6

macrumors 68000
Oct 13, 2011
Brooklyn NY
Thanks to all of you posting problems. I thought my ATV3 was defective as it just ended its year support. I would have my ATV3 plugged into Ethernet and seeing the LED light go out every few minutes for a second it all started to do this when I "upgraded" to 7.0. I thought it was my switch so I changed it still did it. Then I though it was my Ethernet cable so I switched it twice. Still did it.

I then reconnected my ATV3 when I moved my TV and found when I plugged in a shorter Ethernet cable and it just showed offline so I disconnected my ATV. I said great my ATV3 Ethernet broke so I decided to use my FTV and Chromecast which stream Netflix great but when trying to use the "Watch channels" (Disney, Disney XD) they all looked like mud and was definitely not HD. I saw pixel mud and bad blockage in the banding on all the live channels and on demand content. Even PC playback although a bit better did not look HD to me. It seems that the ATV3 is the only device that can play those channels in HD and maintain it. I had enough of mud PQ for about three weeks so I reconnected it the ATV3 again and I said I can always still use the wireless connection.

At first I used the wireless connection for a week and it worked fine but then I decided to try the Ethernet port again and it worked. After connecting it when I put the Ethernet switch in a different room. I only went in there three times at random and caught the LED go out twice. I was not using the ATV3 at the time so now I set it back up on my 5Ghz network and it is working fine so far using the watch channels but I have not used it enough to test it out if it is reliable or not.

Last edited:

iJny9956

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 16, 2012
Did this and it's working again. Hopefully this will carry on working. Seems like the wifi woke up the wake up!

I tired this method several times, and the results were actually surprising. the unit works for about 12 days then goes back to not being able to wake up.

strange that if i unplug it for like 2 weeks i actually get the thing to work but after some time the problem is back.

- airplay and homeshare is gone, so only way to wake it via aluminium remote.

EggyWeggs

macrumors newbie
Oct 20, 2011
Ever since the 7.0 update, I have intermittent problems with cover art not displaying after the AppleTV 3 wakes from sleep. Is this common?

After waking from sleep, cover art for iTunes Movies as well as art for Netflix do not show up. I have to restart the ATV each time to fix the issue. It may in fact happen elsewhere, but these are the 2 applications I use the most.

I am connected via Ethernet, which is also connected to a bridge.

Asolid

macrumors newbie
Feb 27, 2015
Fixing Ethernet port problem on AppleTV2

I have the same problem:
- WiFi works fine
- Ethernet connection does not work regardless of cable changed or reboot of AppleTV

Fixed the problem by power-down and power-up my 8-port Ethernet switch/hub

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.