Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

justinf77

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 18, 2003
Found this case for my iPhone 6 at my local ATT store today:

http://www.incipio.com/cases/iphone...olded-transparent-textured-case-iphone-6.html

It's called the Incipio Rival. It's an excellent case and I'm extremely happy with it so far. I had an Incipio Frequency for my iPhone 5 and I really love the quality of their cases.

The fit is absolutely perfect. It's very thin without adding much bulk to the phone. In fact, it's nearly as thin as their Feather case (1.524mm vs 1.778mm). These types of cases, with the TPU bumpers, offer excellent protection too, as I've dropped my iPhone 5 several times in a TPU case without any damage to show for it.

If I had to pick one thing to criticize about this case, it would be the firmness of the buttons. They can be a little difficult to press, but I also just got the case today and think the buttons may break in a little. Even if they don't, I'd still be very happy.

I was planning on ordering an Apple leather case in black like I had for my 6 Plus (which I just exchanged today for the 6), but now I don't see the need. I think the Incipio Rival will become the primary case I use for my iPhone 6.

justinf77

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 18, 2003
I'm bumping this thread because I really think this case deserves some more love around here :)

Let me know if you have any questions about the case and I'll answer them for you.

asylumgreen

macrumors newbie
Apr 22, 2011
I also had the Frequency for my 5 and really liked it (and the NGP, I think, for my 4).

This time, I was thinking about going with the Rival (because I like the lime green colour, which isn't available in the NGP). However, I noticed in the description that it says it has a hard shell back, unlike the Frequency, which I think was entirely TPU.

I was VERY satisfied with the Frequency, in the sense that it added minimal bulk and completely protected my phone from (many!) drops. Does the Rival seem as protective to you/are you worried about it having that hard shell aspect?

Just because I had such good experiences with Incipio cases the last two times I'm probably going with either the NGP or the Rival - I'm hoping you can provide some insight as to which would be best!

justinf77

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 18, 2003
I also had the Frequency for my 5 and really liked it (and the NGP, I think, for my 4).

This time, I was thinking about going with the Rival (because I like the lime green colour, which isn't available in the NGP). However, I noticed in the description that it says it has a hard shell back, unlike the Frequency, which I think was entirely TPU.

I was VERY satisfied with the Frequency, in the sense that it added minimal bulk and completely protected my phone from (many!) drops. Does the Rival seem as protective to you/are you worried about it having that hard shell aspect?

Just because I had such good experiences with Incipio cases the last two times I'm probably going with either the NGP or the Rival - I'm hoping you can provide some insight as to which would be best!

You're exactly right, the Rival does have a hard shell back, and I actually really like it. To me, it seems even more protective than the Frequency that I had my 5 in. It feels like a very solid case and I'm quite confident in the protection that it offers.

Because it does have a solid back, the case doesn't come off quite as easily as the Frequency did. I have to work it off one corner, and then another, before I can pop it off the phone. I don't plan on doing this often, though.

The NGP and the Rival are the exact same thickness according to Incipio's site, and I would guess that they both offer about the same level of protection. I happen to like a little bit of a design on the back of the phone, and I think the NGP looks a little boring. The Rival has a horizontal stripes pattern on the bottom half of the back of the case.

I would take pictures of my phone in the case, but my phone is the only camera I have at the moment.

awtryau89

macrumors 6502
Aug 7, 2010
My initial impressions of the Rival are very positive. I have always liked the NGP and have the black version for my 6+. I ordered the Rival through Amazon to check it out and it arrived today. I got the frost color and its great if you want to show off your phone. The back is hard plastic but it is very translucent without being a fingerprint magnet. The stripes at the bottom are not overly loud and really do not call attention to themselves in the frost color. They may in other colors. The branding is very light as well. Between this and the NGP its a toss up. They are exactly the same dimensions and probably add the same protection. I like the Rival much better already because of being able to see the back of the phone and the design around the edges is solid instead of transparent. Here are some pics.

Attachments

• IMG_0002.JPG
    IMG_0002.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 250
  • IMG_0004.JPG
    IMG_0004.JPG
    1,014.6 KB · Views: 251
  • IMG_0006.JPG
    IMG_0006.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 218
  • IMG_0008.JPG
    IMG_0008.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 216

Kilburn22

macrumors newbie
Sep 4, 2008
Can anyone tell me what the texture of the back is? I'm looking to get a case for my mom and I think she'd like this but she doesn't want a back that's too smooth or has no grip, like my Laut Huex.

awtryau89

macrumors 6502
Aug 7, 2010
Can anyone tell me what the texture of the back is? I'm looking to get a case for my mom and I think she'd like this but she doesn't want a back that's too smooth or has no grip, like my Laut Huex.

The back is smooth and doesn't offer much grip alone. The TPU sides are grippy though and help offset that issue.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.