Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jayson A

macrumors 68030
Sep 16, 2014
Perhaps I'm a bit sensitive, We're burying my stepson's father tomorrow and the loss for him is overwhelming. Your post to me was coming off that you were tired of hearing your mothe.

Peace.

I know it sucks to lose someone you love but don't take it out on us because someone made a light hearted thread about voice messages.

Honestly, I wish you could turn them off. It's like getting voice mail 20 times a day... If she wants to talk to me so bad, call me... Don't send me a voice message saying "hello!"

He's not complaining that his mom is talking to him, it's just that the tiny voice messages are getting to be too much. There's doing something and then there's OVER doing something.

pooleman

Suspended
Jan 11, 2012
Eastern CT
Oh dear lord...

I'm at my wits end...

I've received about 10 audio messages since Saturday & 3 video messages. Many of the messages are of her just saying hello.

I just had to say something...to someone, anyone.

Don't get it twisted. It's cute the first 3 times. I like the fact my parents close to 70 are gadget geeks. I'm glad she is having fun with her new 5s but...I really don't like audio & video messages. I can't just look at the screen with a glance to see what she says. I have to pick up the device. And when she sends them at 4am...

Pray for me...

I feel for you and know just what you mean.

The Doctor11

macrumors 603
Dec 15, 2013
New York
Well... This might not be the right thing to do. BUT you could tell here her service provider charges $0.10 every time she uses that

kerrikins

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2012
I sympathise, OP, and I'm sorry that people have jumped on you a bit!

I was raised by my gran who is now 88 and I completely understand where you are coming from. It doesn't change the fact that you love her, it just means that occasionally she makes you laugh and shake your head in frustration!

redman042

macrumors 68040
Jun 13, 2008
Oh dear lord...

I'm at my wits end...

I've received about 10 audio messages since Saturday & 3 video messages. Many of the messages are of her just saying hello.

Don't get it twisted. It's cute the first 3 times. I like the fact my parents close to 70 are gadget geeks. I'm glad she is having fun with her new 5s but...I really don't like audio & video messages. I can't just look at the screen with a glance to see what she says. I have to pick up the device. And when she sends them at 4am...

Pray for me...

I love my mom but communicating with her can be challenging at times. I totally get what you're saying. Also I love the new audio message feature but the inability to see what it says at a quick glance is a bummer. Would be nice if Apple ran a quick dictation routine on it and displayed approximate text to go with it.

AdonisSMU

macrumors 604
Oct 23, 2010
I LOVE my parents and keep them stocked up with the latest in Apple Gear! I am happy when they take an interest in the stuff I like. If I get a 4am call, I am happy to talk with them for several hours.

Xultar

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 4, 2010
I sympathise, OP, and I'm sorry that people have jumped on you a bit!

I was raised by my gran who is now 88 and I completely understand where you are coming from. It doesn't change the fact that you love her, it just means that occasionally she makes you laugh and shake your head in frustration!

I'm cool. I look at it like this way, people experience loss differently. I miss my gran, but man the stories I have if her and the ones we tell about her give us the greatest joy. We laugh & laugh till we can't breath about all the dating going on at her assisted living So much so I felt I had to give her the safe sex talk! Imagine that. #smh

My mom and I often talk about my Gran and we wonder what tech she'd have today. We also talk about all the tech she saw grow.

For sure, my gran would have an iPhone. As she said so frequently 'I don't like cheap stuff!' though she used a 4 letter word. She'd have an iPad & a Mac...oh and TiVo & for sure wireless cameras in the house to make sure the home care workers weren't stealing her stuff. I believe also that she'd have Kia Soul. She was a great lady.

Bigj1288

macrumors newbie
Oct 7, 2014
I agree with other people's sentiments about wishing they had this for their mom. I lost my mom in 2006 when I was 13. But at the end of the day, even though I would love to talk to my mom anytime or anyplace, in hindsight, I think we all can agree if our parents weren't taken from us earlier than we would've wanted, this could get annoying. OP I suggest that you put up with it and vent about it to anybody who will listen. I just know that she probably enjoys it way more than you hate it. So if she finds joy in knowing you can hear and see her, let her do it and like people said the novelty will wear off eventually. I'll take her porsche in the meantime :D

Xultar

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 4, 2010
I agree with other people's sentiments about wishing they had this for their mom. I lost my mom in 2006 when I was 13. But at the end of the day, even though I would love to talk to my mom anytime or anyplace, in hindsight, I think we all can agree if our parents weren't taken from us earlier than we would've wanted, this could get annoying. OP I suggest that you put up with it and vent about it to anybody who will listen. I just know that she probably enjoys it way more than you hate it. So if she finds joy in knowing you can hear and see her, let her do it and like people said the novelty will wear off eventually. I'll take her porsche in the meantime :D

Oh I'm not going to say a word. I was happy she took the time to sit down and explore her phone. She likes her 5s so much she said she can't put it down. I want her to explore cuz keeps her mind young. But no flashing on face time. The joke in my family is if mom face times DONT ANSWER!

Ruprict

macrumors newbie
Oct 13, 2014
Many of us, some who have lost their mothers, others who are estranged, would love to be 'bothered' buy our mothers or a loved one.

I suggest you reevaluate what is important in your life. You probably won't, but you should.

Last edited by a moderator:

MacGurl111

macrumors 65816
Feb 4, 2010
Seattle
Wow, some people woke up on the wrong side of the bed. Geesh.
My adopted mom passed away 10 years ago. My dad in law passes away 4 years ago. I thought this post was light-hearted. Don't take it out on others because you're in pain. Way to ruin a post!

OP, I get you! :D My mom and grandma and cousins loves to FaceTime. I hate it. So everytime they call me, it's FaceTime. Never a text or a regular call! Drives me insane. They love to sit on the phone for a long time too. :eek:

I love them all though!

Viremia

macrumors regular
Nov 6, 2006
Yep, my step mom got her first iPhone about 6 months ago and with it came incessant facetime requests from her... at all hours (she stays up really late). Half the time, it was just to say something like, "Hey son, I can see you! Isn't this incredible?" :rolleyes:

And for clarity, I lost my biological mother 40 years ago and didn't for a second take the OP in the wrong way. That's because I have a sense of humor and don't have tissue paper thin skin.

ea9

macrumors regular
Mar 14, 2011
Some people are so depressing.

OP, I feel the same way. Sometimes I get facetimed for hours (because they're with more people and now i have to say hi to everyone lolol) instead of a quick call. Fear not, a quick talk explaining the appropriate uses of iMessage, Facetime and voice notes settled everything :)

greytmom

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2010
Oh dear lord...

I'm at my wits end...

Pray for me...

LOL!!! Just wait until she starts sending you daily weather updates...

Xultar

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 4, 2010
LOL!!! Just wait until she starts sending you daily weather updates...

I'm actually looking forward to her videos from the golf course. She & the ladies take martinis out on the course & hilarity ensues. With the better camera on the 5s I'm going to have great blackmail material.

greytmom

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2010
I'm actually looking forward to her videos from the golf course. She & the ladies take martinis out on the course & hilarity ensues. With the better camera on the 5s I'm going to have great blackmail material.

You should consider doing this with the video soundtrack - these guys are hilarious!

Timbo69

macrumors newbie
Sep 16, 2014
You could try asking if her phone bends....if she successfully manages it you won't get any more voice messages

Ladybug

macrumors 68000
Apr 13, 2006
As a Mom, I'd say just be patient..the novelty will wear off. If not you might drop a hint or two later on. Remember how patient she was with you growing up...Anyway best wishes to you both.

iceperson

macrumors 6502
Mar 31, 2014
Some of you must be a blast to have around.

"Ugh, my mom called me frantic because the power went out during survivor and her DVR missed half of it."
"My mother is dead"
"..."

IrishVixen

macrumors 68020
Jun 20, 2010
My mother's been gone for over half my life and I laughed myself silly at this post. Those who don't see the humor probably have a bit of grief yet to work through.

I'm cool. I look at it like this way, people experience loss differently. I miss my gran, but man the stories I have if her and the ones we tell about her give us the greatest joy. We laugh & laugh till we can't breath about all the dating going on at her assisted living So much so I felt I had to give her the safe sex talk! Imagine that. #smh

My mom and I often talk about my Gran and we wonder what tech she'd have today. We also talk about all the tech she saw grow.

For sure, my gran would have an iPhone. As she said so frequently 'I don't like cheap stuff!' though she used a 4 letter word. She'd have an iPad & a Mac...oh and TiVo & for sure wireless cameras in the house to make sure the home care workers weren't stealing her stuff. I believe also that she'd have Kia Soul. She was a great lady.

My grandfather was similar to your grandmother--the assisted living stories...no, Grandpa, I'm glad you're happy but I REALLY didn't need to know about you & little blue pills! :D

Sounds like you have a terrific family. And yes, I can relate...my darling but ditsy mother in law discovered texting & Facebook this year and oh dear Lord, was she ever a bit of a pest for a while there. The novelty did finally wear off after a few months. Just hang in there!

ABC5S

Suspended
Sep 10, 2013
Florida
If you want to get this so called light hearted problem off your chest, maybe a professional would be a better avenue to explore, not on a public forum with strangers you don't know.. :D just saying OP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.