Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mitman

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 20, 2012
My main concerns about not getting the 6+ are that I use my phone for running so I am not sure how it would feel in my pocket and I also carry my phone around mainly in my pocket during the day (no tight pants, just normal guy jeans).

I am already aware about all the bend-gate issues so I don't what this to turn into a discussion about that. I mainly want to know how practical the 6+ is for daily life and if its a reasonable device to use and hold because of its nicer display and better battery, which are things that I don't want to miss out on. Also feel free to comment on the software side of things, like lagging if you want.

So, why did you get an iPhone 6+ and are you happy with it now, almost one month later?

Nhwhazup

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2010
New Hampshire
I ordered the Plus and while waiting for it started second nth easing myself. Once I got it, I was hooked. I can't imagine going smaller. I live in NH and now when I work out, I use either pockets in a fleece or in a FlipBelt.

smooth

macrumors 6502
Nov 12, 2007
Detroit
I got the 6+ specifically for its size. I too am a runner and I've pretty much ruled out an armband. I did use a running app on my 5 which I miss, but the 5 was borderline too big for the armband and didn't work well in my pocket. I've resigned myself to using my Shuffle for my runs but I heard about the Flipbelt on here and may give that a try.

I've had mine 2 weeks and am very happy with it. Great screen, great battery life and with my wallet case, I got rid of my wallet. No complaints.

Copefree

macrumors member
Sep 21, 2012
I got it because it looked awesome. And it's been nothing but awesome to me since launch day.

Shan S.

macrumors member
Apr 28, 2012
Why did you get an iPhone 6+ and are you happy with your purchase now?

I picked up my 6+ the first day it appeared in the apple store and have not regretted it all..

It took about 1 weeks use before it stopped feeling too large. Just remember to give it some time for your hand to adjust to the larger size... Once you do you will not look back.. I got it as I had a 5s and wanted to try a large screen phone. Saw the other phones with the large screen and just wanted one as I recently felt the 4 inch screens were finally too small..

Since then never regretted it.. The large screen, the much better camera and of course better battery are all winners in my book! The large screen and fonts are so much nicer to use in a daily basis.. It funny I have a full size 3rd generation iPad.. I actually use it much less as this has become a great all in one device.

Again it will feel large for a short while but once you get used to it it is hard to look at the smaller screen of the 6 or even something like the galaxy s5

Regarding size.. I wear regular fitting and relaxed fitting jeans (Levis 505 and 559). There is absolutely no issues with it fitting in the pocket or it feeling tight...

Running... It may feel a bit heavy or large. You may want to make sure it is secured to the body rather than bouncing around..

docal97

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2006
Southampton
My main concerns about not getting the 6+ are that I use my phone for running so I am not sure how it would feel in my pocket and I also carry my phone around mainly in my pocket during the day (no tight pants, just normal guy jeans).

I am already aware about all the bend-gate issues so I don't what this to turn into a discussion about that. I mainly want to know how practical the 6+ is for daily life and if its a reasonable device to use and hold because of its nicer display and better battery, which are things that I don't want to miss out on. Also feel free to comment on the software side of things, like lagging if you want.

So, why did you get an iPhone 6+ and are you happy with it now, almost one month later?

i run with my 6+ all the time with no issues. I am using an apple silicone case and holding the phone while i run, no different than with the 5s. No issues. I would like something smaller. I have considered using my nano, but it dosen't have the GPS tracking capabilities of the phones.

saltd

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2010
I picked up the plus instead of the 6 for a few reasons.

Better battery life. This is a huge advantage, and yes, it holds a charge like champ.

Additionally, the bigger screen helps me use it as a GPS device for my field work. More screen means more map content. I rely on this phone to keep me from getting lost, as my job takes me into some extremely remote areas. Also, battery life helps with this aspect too.

I'm 40 now, and my aging eyes appreciate the larger screen. So that's great too. Much better for laying in bed browsing at night( which is what I'm doing now)

What don't I like? The size. The phone is cumbersome for in and out of pocket use. I use a holster, which is kind of like a pocket protector-kind or a fanny pack. A necessary evil....it makes it much easier to use and is much safer for the phone. You don't wanna sit on it-it's thin and fragile

My overall take is is this: If you don't have a specific need or burning desire for the larger screen, get the regular 6. The 6 just feels better in the hand. You can always tether to an iPad or other tablet for the times you might want to use a bigger screen device away from home. As big as it is, it is NOT an adequate substitute for a tablet.

Oh, and as far as lag-dont worry about it. The Plus is blazing fast. Not an issue.

dragonjinse

macrumors 6502
Jun 13, 2013
I came from iP 5... iP 6's size is similar to 5 (only .7 in different)
So I decided to get iP 6+ instead.

So happy with my choice. :)

ryanide

macrumors 6502
Jul 23, 2002
Yes, love it!

Coming from a 5s the 6 did not seem like much different. The 6 plus is what I feel is a real usable size for a handheld device. The screen is not too large that you can not reach side to side, like on an iPad mini. Since my eyesight is good (for close up) I have the zoom off and the text quite small which gives me more usable space on the screen. I find that it is easy to view full websites in safari without lots of zooming in and out. Typing is much better as I almost never hit the wrong keys like I always did on the 5s.

On the down side, I find the larger size does not fit in my jean pockets especially if they are somewhat tight. I'm afraid of putting it in my back pocket and bending it. So, I carry it most of the time, which also means that I'm setting it down a lot. This is a little bit of an issue that I have not solved yet.

I have a clear case Amazon $12.99 that gives complete protection, has a nice fit and still shows off the Apple Design. I'm happy with this case, but wish I could find just a belt clip that I could snap it onto at times when I need both hands free.

In the car, it does not fit in my cup holder, but I got a Kenu Airframe+ which I just pop it into and it works great. Also, this way I can use it (at stoplights) without getting a ticket since it is considered "Handsfree!". (they give out a lot of those tickets for people using their phone at stop lights here in Los Angeles).

Maybe I can find a neck strap for it, like Apple's employee's name badges? or a gun holster? Or better yet, maybe it is time for someone to re-design some jeans with a large side pocket? I guess they call those Cargo pants, right?

Long story short, it's worth it. I don't regret it at all. If it went up a 1/2" in screen size, that would still be fine (iPhone 7 plus?).

cababah

macrumors 68000
Jun 11, 2009
SF Bay Area, CA
I initially got the 6 and then returned it for the 6+ and never looked back. Two main reasons: bigger/higher resolution display & battery life. It's the true upgrade over the 5S while the 6 is just a 5S with a larger screen IMO.

I still have my old iPhone 5 that I now use as a gym/running phone. I would recommend an iPod Nano or using your old phone if you have it. I think the 6+ is a bit big to use during exercise...also I just don't want to get it dirty and sweaty ;)

Last edited:

luminouslight

macrumors 6502
Nov 29, 2012
Orlando FL
LOVE my iPhone 6 plus. Haven't loved a phone this much since I got the iPhone 4.

The battery is amazing, the screen on this bad boy is a beast, and not to mention the camera! I recently took a trip to Zion national park and Las Vegas and took about 500 pictures total and they look totally amazing.

The only complaint I have about the phone is how slippery it is to me without a case but the Apple leather case solved that for me. The only other issue is being able to use it one handed obviously but those are minor complaints really.

Cooknn

macrumors 68020
Aug 23, 2003
Fort Myers, FL
I'm still getting used to the size. Love this phone, but I think I will force myself to learn to use two hands rather than risk dropping it because I'm trying to reach up. I don't use reachability :rolleyes:

Cool Pup

macrumors 6502a
Jun 18, 2010
Dallas, TX
I ordered the Plus originally and returned it, so while many others are praising the benefits (there are many), I'll offer a counter point of view.

I was a major defender and believer of the Plus because of how enamored I was with it. The screen was the best Apple device screen ever put out and the battery was easily the best mobile battery Apple ever put in a phone. I watched a lot of media on my phone and had it replace my iPad without even realizing it.

However, a moment occurred to me when I was out and looking to take some pictures with the camera. Not that I wear overly tight jeans, but they aren't baggy so it makes getting heftier devices out of pocket much more difficult, I ended up fumbling with it and it took me a long time to get the device out. It was embarrassing to me and I had missed the opportune picture.

Then, once this happened, I started to notice other difficulties I had with the device. I always take out my phone from pocket when I drive because I use my phone as my music player in my car. Getting my phone out of pocket while already sitting down was incredibly uncomfortable, and compared to how easy it was with the 5s, I had realized how important that portability is to me after all.

I saw nothing wrong with the Plus until it got to where I used Reachability a whole lot, which, I then realized, if I use Reachability this much, why do I need a massive phone? It just seemed like an unusual thing to do as frequently as I did because I consider Reachability something that should seldom be used.

Additionally, I started to carry my Plus around in my hand, which made me feel like I was carting around a paperback book in my hand at all times and it made me feel a little silly. Not that it wouldn't fit in my pocket, but I felt better about holding it because it was easier to pull out if I needed it in a pinch.

After a lot of inner debates, I switched to a 6 and enjoy it more. Yes, I miss the screen and the awesome battery, but I have more portability and the lightness of the 6 is much-preferred by me. I have a tablet I use for media consumption and reading.

Once Apple trims the bezels and makes the device lighter, I might want to get right back to a Plus, but until then, I'm satisfied with the 6.

myscrnnm

macrumors 68000
Sep 16, 2014
Seattle, WA
Originally had a mere three days between the iPhone 6 announcement and preorders opening up to decide if I wanted the 6 Plus or 6 Minus. It was honestly a tough decision, since both were a huge upgrade from the 4S I had been using before. My biggest concern was that the 6 Plus would be too difficult to use with one handed and that it would not fit in my pockets.

Ultimately, I decided to preorder the 6 Plus for the larger battery (my 4S can't get through an entire day of use without a battery case), as well as the experience of using a phablet. I had previously considered getting the Sony Xperia Z Ultra, but decided against it as it was not offered by a US carrier, and using Android in the past had left a bad taste in my mouth.

It's now been nearly with the 6 Plus, and I would say I'm pretty happy with my purchase. To sum it up, I feel this is the best phone on the market today for me. With a case, it's not unwieldy, and I've found pockets other than those in my pants to fit the phone in (jackets, shirts, et cetera). Battery life hasn't been as phenomenal as I'd hoped for; but I can go a whole day without recharging if I'm careful. The build quality is top notch, and the display is gorgeous.

Of course the most important comparison to make in this context is to the 6 Minus. I hadn't handled either iPhone 6 prior to purchasing them, but having experienced the 6 Minus extensively at the Apple Store, I feel the screen size simply isn't enough of an improvement over the iPhone 5/5S (which now feels tiny; all the apps are crammed into that microscopic screen). Of course, this is what a lot of people want. The most backlash against the larger screens has actually come not from fandroids, but from iPhone users. The 6 Minus sits at the sweet spot for a smartphone footprint: easy to use one-handed, but large enough to enjoy HD videos on. This is perhaps where the 6 Plus easily loses out; I can't put it in my pants without it digging into my groin when walking, and without a case it's ready to slip out of your hands.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
I got the 6+ for the battery life. It really has amazing battery life. Alas, after the 6th time dropping the phone in just a 3-week span (thankfully, always inside a case) and after playing with the 6, I figured the 6+ just wasn't for me.

mightyjabba

macrumors 68000
Sep 25, 2014
Tatooine
I got it because ever since I started using an iPad mini a lot, my iPhone 5's screen had started to seem very small. I found that I wasn't using it much because the screen just seemed so dinky. I wanted something that would give me a bit more content on the screen, and at a larger size, and the Plus delivered on both counts.

The other things like the battery life and better camera were both nice bonuses, as was Touch ID (which I really like). Finally, the option to get 128GB of storage was attractive, since I've had 64GB phones for about 3 years now (although of course that's not unique to the Plus).

I have no regrets, although I was really unsure if I had made the right decision for the first few days. The iPhone 6 is a nice size in the hand, and probably a more practical one, but that's really the only advantage. I wouldn't trade the advantages of the Plus for that.

ScottishDuck

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2010
Argyll, Scotland
I got it because it was the most featurefull and had a large battery. It is too large and I know it, even for someone like me with huge hands, but I find myself enjoying it nonetheless. I'm very pleased with it.

gibsona

macrumors newbie
Jul 17, 2013
Battery

I got my 6+ mainly because of the battery size. It arrived yesterday, and I charged it to full at 8am this morning. It's now 11:30am and it's on 46%!!!! The screen has mostly been off, but it has been downloading tracks from iTunes Match. I really hope this is either just a calibration issue on first charge, or because of the wifi background download. Otherwise if this is normal it's going back. I'll be lucky to make it to lunch at this rate.

So so far, no, I'm not happy with it.:(

From A Buick 8

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2010
Ky Close to CinCinnati
I got the 6+ specifically for its size. I too am a runner and I've pretty much ruled out an armband. I did use a running app on my 5 which I miss, but the 5 was borderline too big for the armband and didn't work well in my pocket. I've resigned myself to using my Shuffle for my runs but I heard about the Flipbelt on here and may give that a try.

I've had mine 2 weeks and am very happy with it. Great screen, great battery life and with my wallet case, I got rid of my wallet. No complaints.

What wallet case do you have.

So far I love the 6 plus, great size for me. The battery life has been great, the low light pictures are very impressive.

frozentoast

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2007
Here to echo many of the sentiments above, it's been a long time since being this enchanted with an Apple product.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.