Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacVidCards

Suspended
Original poster
Nov 17, 2008
Hollywood, CA
For first time (outside of an Nvidia or Apple lab) a cMP booted with a GTX750 in it. I held the "Option" key and choose my boot disk.

Have been playing usual tricks but it wasn't working, asked my friend Netkas to have a look. He is, as usual, brillaint. Together we hammered through the rough spots. Still some fine details to be worked out, (PCIE 2.0 and DP boot screens) but getting first Maxwell popping those screens up gives me better hope for 970/980.

Thanks also to Dr. Barbara Keller from whom I got the brains to do these tricks. You will be missed.

Have been told that I am a "twit" so naturally we had to get a "twitter" thing going. When 970/980 get figured out, you'll know.

AkuskaUK

macrumors 6502
Mar 18, 2011
Shanklin, Isle Of Wight
For first time (outside of an Nvidia or Apple lab) a cMP booted with a GTX750 in it. I held the "Option" key and choose my boot disk.

Have been playing usual tricks but it wasn't working, asked my friend Netkas to have a look. He is, as usual, brillaint. Together we hammered through the rough spots. Still some fine details to be worked out, (PCIE 2.0 and DP boot screens) but getting first Maxwell popping those screens up gives me better hope for 970/980.

Thanks also to Dr. Barbara Keller from whom I got the brains to do these tricks. You will be missed.

Have been told that I am a "twit" so naturally we had to get a "twitter" thing going. When 970/980 get figured out, you'll know.

Nice! Guess my student loan is again going to you for a new card ;) Well done on the hard work!

CASLondon

macrumors 6502a
Apr 18, 2011
London
Its a little ridiculous to ask, given I just took delivery of the 780 6g, but since I do have this EVGA step-up plan eligibility for another month, I have to ask...

Is there any real world advantages to the 980 from a 780 6g that you can think of? Any that make the hassle of sending back and waiting for the 980 worth it?

I was guessing that only if they issued the 8g version might it be worth it, but happy to hear your guess.

Zorn

macrumors 65816
Feb 14, 2006
Ohio
Its a little ridiculous to ask, given I just took delivery of the 780 6g, but since I do have this EVGA step-up plan eligibility for another month, I have to ask...

Is there any real world advantages to the 980 from a 780 6g that you can think of? Any that make the hassle of sending back and waiting for the 980 worth it?

I was guessing that only if they issued the 8g version might it be worth it, but happy to hear your guess.

I'm currently in a step-up queue myself for a 980. The good part is, once you are locked into the process, you keep your card while you wait. They only make you send it in once there's a new product reserved available for you. So you are only really out for a handful of days, depending on what shipping speed you chose.

MacVidCards

Suspended
Original poster
Nov 17, 2008
Hollywood, CA
DisplayPort Boot Screens on 750...DONE !!!

We are plugging ahead.

I wish I could explain how this stuff works, but basically we are reverse engineering Apple & Nvidia's untold secrets.

GTX750 and GTX750Ti just need the PCIE 2.0 fix. I say "just" and this could take weeks or months. Netkas turns high-powered disassembling toward these things and I do painstaking pattern recognition and testing. As we have proven time and time again, we get results working as a team.

Crazy amounts of effort for things that Apple or Nvidia engineers could send us in an email if they wanted us to have weekends.

IN any case, it appears that MacVidCards will be able to offer GTX750 and 750Ti shortly after the Apple release of Yosemite. Hopefully with PCIE 2.0 working, or perhaps that will require some more time and a later update.

Thanks once again to Nvidia for putting the drivers out there after Apple gave up on cMP and PCIE interface. (and ability of end users to keep machines current )

As far as GTX970/980. We have every reason to believe that we will be able to make them work, especially as we now have first Maxwell GPU nearly perfect as a Mac card. 970 and 980 are more complex and drivers are newer. We will continue to move ahead on those but please be patient. Also consider that you support these engineering efforts when you get cards from us. Saving a few bucks and getting cards from the "johnny come lately" bozos doesn't help anyone but those copy & paste geniuses.

I am going to take a moment and toot our own horn here. If you look back over last 5 years, the ONLY additional GPUs with boot screens came from this team of two people. Nobody else, 2 people. The fact that both Nvidia and AMD have made self-init GPUs is nice, and many use them, but for a lot of people, the boot screens are what makes a Mac, a Mac.

Last edited:

CASLondon

macrumors 6502a
Apr 18, 2011
London
Toot away.

Any thoughts as to the relative gains (or lack thereof) from a 780 6g to a 980?

(do we know about 8g 980 release?)

Pending

macrumors regular
Oct 1, 2014
We are plugging ahead.

I wish I could explain how this stuff works, but basically we are reverse engineering Apple & Nvidia's untold secrets.

GTX750 and GTX750Ti just need the PCIE 2.0 fix. I say "just" and this could take weeks or months. Netkas turns high-powered disassembling toward these things and I do painstaking pattern recognition and testing. As we have proven time and time again, we get results working as a team.

Crazy amounts of effort for things that Apple or Nvidia engineers could send us in an email if they wanted us to have weekends.

IN any case, it appears that MacVidCards will be able to offer GTX750 and 750Ti shortly after the Apple release of Yosemite. Hopefully with PCIE 2.0 working, or perhaps that will require some more time and a later update.

Thanks once again to Nvidia for putting the drivers out there after Apple gave up on cMP and PCIE interface. (and ability of end users to keep machines current )

As far as GTX970/980. We have every reason to believe that we will be able to make them work, especially as we now have first Maxwell GPU nearly perfect as a Mac card. 970 and 980 are more complex and drivers are newer. We will continue to move ahead on those but please be patient. Also consider that you support these engineering efforts when you get cards from us. Saving a few bucks and getting cards from the "johnny come lately" bozos doesn't help anyone but those copy & paste geniuses.

I am going to take a moment and toot our own horn here. If you look back over last 5 years, the ONLY additional GPUs with boot screens came from this team of two people. Nobody else, 2 people. The fact that both Nvidia and AMD have made self-init GPUs is nice, and many use them, but for a lot of people, the boot screens are what makes a Mac, a Mac.

Just wanted to say a big thank you for all your efforts, past and present.
Look forward to the 970 and 980, hope its doable.

Zorn

macrumors 65816
Feb 14, 2006
Ohio
I'm getting my 980 through EVGA Step-Up since it's basically free, but once you offer the flashing service I'll definitely support you that way =)

Demigod Mac

macrumors 6502a
Apr 25, 2008
Awesome news MVC. I'm going to hold out and see what the Maxwell Titans look like. A Titan in a cMP without needing external power would be a dream come true. If that comes to pass I'll snap one up from you in a heartbeat.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.