Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Schmactor

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 5, 2014
Time Warner just upgraded my speeds to 300/20. I know that wireless speeds are always slower than max because of interference, etc. But I've read that I should at least expect 50% or more. I get full 300mb (sometimes more) if I connect to Airport Extreme with ethernet, but wireless I keep getting around 60mb only. That's only 20%. There can't be that much interference can there?

yukyuklee

macrumors 6502
Jan 4, 2011
Boston, MA
it all depends on if the walls made of concrete, do you live in a house with 2 floors+, how many wireless signals are around your area? What modem is it a docsis 3? Is your wireless router upgraded to the newest firmware and does it support your modem? there is a lot to look into. I only ask because i have Comcast and they increased our speed and my signal is weak in a 1000sq ft apartment

Last edited:

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
Time Warner just upgraded my speeds to 300/20. I know that wireless speeds are always slower than max because of interference, etc. But I've read that I should at least expect 50% or more. I get full 300mb (sometimes more) if I connect to Airport Extreme with ethernet, but wireless I keep getting around 60mb only. That's only 20%. There can't be that much interference can there?

Try doing a factory reset of the Extreme. Unplug it and hold the reset button with a paperclip or ball point pen. Plug it into power and keep holding until the front light blinks rapidly. Once that is done reconfigure it with AirPort Utility 6 on a Mac or iOS.

If that does not solve your issues, you may want to go ahead and look about separating the 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz network names. The bigger question here is what client are you using to test this? Not all cards are the same. For instance, an older MacBook or iPhone 5s can only do 150 Mbps connection to the Extreme.

Schmactor

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 5, 2014
Thanx for the replies. Lemme give some more info:

I am using an early 2008 15in MacBook Pro Intel Core Duo.
Yes I suppose it is ancient by 2014 standards. So does this mean it has a maximum wireless speed capability? If so, is there a way to upgrade the wireless card?

As for my living situation, I live in a tiny apartment and the Airport Extreme is usually less than 5 feet away with no obstructions. The main modem is an Arris dg1670a in bridge mode with a newer model Airport Extreme connected as the wireless router.

As I said in the original post, I can attach my computer directly wired to the Airport Extreme with an ethernet cable and get around 315mb download speeds. But when I connect wirelessly i get around 60mb.

According to istumbler I have about 9 other wireless signals in the area, most only showing a tiny signal from my location.

I will try factory resetting the Airport Extreme if it may really help.

Thank you all again!

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
Try option clicking on the Wi-Fi icon in the menu bar and report back with your transfer rate. If I recall correctly, those MBPs are limited to 150 Mbps. Ideally you should see close to 120 Mbps in a perfect world.

Schmactor

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 5, 2014
So I just switched my connection to 5GHz from 2.4 and I'm now getting 180mb download speed.

urbanwoodsman

macrumors member
Nov 7, 2013
I have very similar issues. I just upgraded to the Arris dg1670a which is in bridge mode. I have the newest Apple Express router connected to it which is under my desk where both my computers are located. The network is up and works but the speed difference now is quite large. Before I got this modem I was getting 90-100+ Mbps over Wifi to my Macbook Pro and around the same on my Mac Pro. Now I'm getting 25-30mbps over Wifi to the Macbook Pro and 325+mbps wired to the Mac Pro(connected directly via ethernet to modem).

I've contacted Time Warner three times already and they just say it's something to do with the Apple Router. I would believe them if I did not have great speeds before.

The tech I spoke with today actually said they just received an email regarding issues with Apple Express routers but he said they were only getting a max of 130mbps, still far better than what I'm getting.

Please let me know if anyone has any advice. Are there any modem settings that would hinder bandwidth that much?

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
I have very similar issues. I just upgraded to the Arris dg1670a which is in bridge mode. I have the newest Apple Express router connected to it which is under my desk where both my computers are located. The network is up and works but the speed difference now is quite large. Before I got this modem I was getting 90-100+ Mbps over Wifi to my Macbook Pro and around the same on my Mac Pro. Now I'm getting 25-30mbps over Wifi to the Macbook Pro and 325+mbps wired to the Mac Pro(connected directly via ethernet to modem).

I've contacted Time Warner three times already and they just say it's something to do with the Apple Router. I would believe them if I did not have great speeds before.

The tech I spoke with today actually said they just received an email regarding issues with Apple Express routers but he said they were only getting a max of 130mbps, still far better than what I'm getting.

Please let me know if anyone has any advice. Are there any modem settings that would hinder bandwidth that much?

AirPort Expresses are limited to 100 Mbps due to the 10/100 Mbps WAN and LAN ports.

urbanwoodsman

macrumors member
Nov 7, 2013
Hmm... Have you tried doing a factory reset? I would start there and see if I get anywhere. If that fails, did you have the 5 GHz and 2.4 GHz network names separated?

I've done numerous full power down resets on all connected devices. Right now I have the networks split, I'm on the 5ghz network. Tried to see if that would help. It didn't.

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
I've done numerous full power down resets on all connected devices. Right now I have the networks split, I'm on the 5ghz network. Tried to see if that would help. It didn't.

Not a power down reset but a full factory reset. To do this unplug it from power and insert a paperclip into the reset button. Hold the reset button and plug it into power. Continue to hold the reset button until the front light blinks rapidly and then you can reconfigure in AirPort Utility.

urbanwoodsman

macrumors member
Nov 7, 2013
Not a power down reset but a full factory reset. To do this unplug it from power and insert a paperclip into the reset button. Hold the reset button and plug it into power. Continue to hold the reset button until the front light blinks rapidly and then you can reconfigure in AirPort Utility.

Yes. I unplugged and held the reset button on both the modem and the apple express. I've done all that. Everything works, I just can't get more than 25-30down. Whereas on my Ethernet connected Mac Pro I can confirm 325down. So I know that the bandwidth is there and I should at least get close to 100down on wifi.

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
Yes. I unplugged and held the reset button on both the modem and the apple express. I've done all that. Everything works, I just can't get more than 25-30down. Whereas on my Ethernet connected Mac Pro I can confirm 325down. So I know that the bandwidth is there and I should at least get close to 100down on wifi.

Were you getting those speeds over the same cable to the Express as the Pro?

Act3

macrumors 68020
Sep 26, 2014
USA

I am having very similar issue. I used to have 40 mbps plan from Brighthouse. I called yesterday and switched to their 60 mbps plan. My airport express router is now putting out slower speed than before I upgraded my cable internet. The cable modem is the same modem as before. If I enable the wifi on the cable modem and not use the airport, I get the full speed on all my iOS devices.

urbanwoodsman

macrumors member
Nov 7, 2013
Were you getting those speeds over the same cable to the Express as the Pro?

I'm not sure what you're asking.

Before the new modem came I had both computers connected to the Express. MacBook Pro over Wifi and Mac Pro via Ethernet. When I got the new modem I used the new Ethernet cable that came with it to connect the modem to the express. That's the only new cable.

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
I'm not sure what you're asking.

Before the new modem came I had both computers connected to the Express. MacBook Pro over Wifi and Mac Pro via Ethernet. When I got the new modem I used the new Ethernet cable that came with it to connect the modem to the express. That's the only new cable.

What I mean by is that are you using the same cable to connect the Pro to the modem for testing purposes as the one that connects the Express to the modem regularly? Sometimes cables are bad and do not reach full speed which is why I ask.

bigjnyc

macrumors 604
Apr 10, 2008
I'm having the same problem with my time capsule. I just got 300/20 and got the same modem as the OP... Rather than start a new thread maybe I can get some help here.

So when I connect via ethernet cable from the time capsule I get about 180/20 speeds

When I connect directly to the time warner modem via ethernet I get the full 300/20

Wireless via time capsule I get 60/20

very frustrating :mad:

I am wondering if one of my time capsule settings are wrong in airport utility. I attached some screen shots below of my settings... I tried adding a 5ghz network and no luck

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-11-03 at 9.58.44 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-11-03 at 9.58.44 PM.png
    22.5 KB · Views: 326
  • Screen Shot 2014-11-03 at 9.58.55 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-11-03 at 9.58.55 PM.png
    14.4 KB · Views: 359
  • Screen Shot 2014-11-03 at 9.59.08 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-11-03 at 9.59.08 PM.png
    40.9 KB · Views: 385
  • Screen Shot 2014-11-03 at 9.59.19 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-11-03 at 9.59.19 PM.png
    30.3 KB · Views: 336
  • Screen Shot 2014-11-03 at 9.59.29 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-11-03 at 9.59.29 PM.png
    26.4 KB · Views: 326

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
I'm having the same problem with my time capsule. I just got 300/20 and got the same modem as the OP... Rather than start a new thread maybe I can get some help here.

So when I connect via ethernet cable from the time capsule I get about 180/20 speeds

When I connect directly to the time warner modem via ethernet I get the full 300/20

Wireless via time capsule I get 60/20

very frustrating :mad:

I am wondering if one of my time capsule settings are wrong in airport utility. I attached some screen shots below of my settings... I tried adding a 5ghz network and no luck

Something must be wrong with your link from the TC -->Time Warner modem. When connected via Ethernet to the TC, you should receive full speeds.

webpoet73

macrumors regular
Jul 29, 2010
Alpharetta, GA
Something must be wrong with your link from the TC -->Time Warner modem. When connected via Ethernet to the TC, you should receive full speeds.

Am I missing something here, there is no checkmark in the checkbox next to the 5GHz network name. That has to be checked to activate the 5GHz network, if I am not mistaken.

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
Am I missing something here, there is no checkmark in the checkbox next to the 5GHz network name. That has to be checked to activate the 5GHz network, if I am not mistaken.

By default, an AirPort puts the 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz bands on the same network name (SSID) and lets the client and the base station auto negotiate to find the best band.

bigjnyc

macrumors 604
Apr 10, 2008

sorry in the screen shot I had removed the checkmark. I did check it off and use the 5ghz network. but same results

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.