Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jypfoto

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 6, 2014
Looking to pair my new to me 2012 Mac mini to a monitor. After exhaustive research I've set my eyes on the 34" LG 21:9 monitor for the additional screen size. I'm a enthusiast photographer so I think the additional real estate will come in handy. I've crossed off the lower res 65 model.

I can't find much on the difference between the 34UM95 and the 34UM94. All I can see is that B&H lists the 94 as the newer model. The 95 is found on LG's consumer website while the 94 is on their commercial website and as such the 94 seems to come with a 3 yr warranty while the 95 is a 1 yr. for the same price it seems like a no brainier to get the 94, right?

Then I see that the curved display is also new. It appears to have TB2 ports while I think the non curved are TB1, not a huge deal to me. Neither of the two seem to have that sturdy of a stand it appears, but I'll most likely eventually get a VESA stand for my desk. The price difference is $300, which is substantial but I want to make one purchase right the first time.

Admittedly I haven't done too much research on the benefits of a curved display. I'm not sure if it's a fad or has a real benefit to it. I do absolutely no gaming at all and would use the monitor exclusively for day to day browsing, then editing photos, then occasional watching videos. So may 70% day to day/25% photo editing/5% watching videos.

For me is it worth the added cost of a curved display? Or is it more beneficial to gamers and I should save some cash and get the non curved version. Thanks for any help.

calaverasgrande

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2010
Brooklyn, New York.
AFAIK the UM94/95 are TB2 as well. It did just come out less than 6 months ago or so.
I've been about to buy this one for a while now myself, but then my life gets busy and the fun toys get put on hold. :(

MattZani

macrumors 68030
Apr 20, 2008
UK
I'd go curved, at the distance you'll be using it and the width of it, the curve will make a real difference, unlike a curved TV.

Acorn

macrumors 68030
Jan 2, 2009
macrumors
I would go with the curved. However the vesa support for this model is sketchy. it requires an adapter that is only included in some countries and USA isn't one of them. The adapter isn't sold separately.

CASLondon

macrumors 6502a
Apr 18, 2011
London
The new curved one, the LG 34uc97, is aimed at video/photo pros, with wide gamut, etc. But the stand is a stylish, not very adjustable one. There is a version coming out called the 34uc87 which is the same monitor with a Dell-like adjustable stand and vesa mount.

There is hardly any info about this model around, but I heard by December release

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.