Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacManTexas56

macrumors 68020
Apr 4, 2005
Well after sending a few emails back and forth with the buyer I think a contributing factor was his lack of understanding of the English language.

I explained to him earlier that asking for a device to be unlocked that wasn't sold as unlocked and not having provided feedback was asking a lot. He has since provided positive feedback and I've submitted a request to AT&T to have it unlocked.

I definitely learned a lesson for next time.

you should have kept to your original listing. there are alot of crappy people on eBay that will buy from you to get it cheaper then request to get it unlocked. You'd be amazed at the stuff people try to pull on there.

I am very detailed and put exactly what IS and ISN'T included.

example below.....

"NEW Oakley Fast Jacket Polished White Frame w/Red Icons and Hinges Only!

You are bidding on a NEW Oakley Fast Jacket Frame. The regular or XL lens styles will fit these frames. All items are 100% genuine authentic Oakley products. Get these while they are still available. Thanks for looking!

Please Note: this auction does not include the original box, lenses, extra lenses, extra nose piece, microfiber cleaning bag, or paperwork.

Included in this auction will be:

Oakley Fast Jacket Polished White Frame

Oakley Soft Vault"

Last edited:

Ta0jin

macrumors 65816
Nov 9, 2011
Maryland
Same thing happened to me when I sold my 5. I told the buyer that it wasn't listed as an unlocked phone when he purchased. He never replied and he never left feedback but then again neither did I. I wait till the whole transaction is finished and I receive feedback till I leave feedback as a seller.

nebo1ss

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2010
ATT will not unlock the phone for the buyer because he is not the original purchaser. You have nothing to lose by asking att to unlock the phone, it cost you nothing.

Why not just do the guy a favour and not be difficult about it. A good deed might let you sleep better at night.

Even considering looking for more money says more about you than the buyer.

nburwell

macrumors 603
May 6, 2008
DE
ATT will not unlock the phone for the buyer because he is not the original purchaser. You have nothing to lose by asking att to unlock the phone, it cost you nothing.

Why not just do the guy a favour and not be difficult about it. A good deed might let you sleep better at night.

He could certainly request the phone be unlocked via AT&T. However, he is not obligated to do it.

KdParker

macrumors 601
Oct 1, 2010
Everywhere
eBay doesn't give options here, he has way more options (read: recourses) than you. Pretend this was a legal battle, would you pay $150 to get away unscathed? Cause if you fight for more money from this buyer, it will cost more than you are hoping to win.

You've got two effective options:

Plead ignorance and accept a return for a 'non functioning' item and resell, hoping you get the fees back (other than shipping) and try again

Grant the unlock request at no cost

The choice comes down to the value of your time

Both those options are incorrect IMHO.

The only option is :

Do nothing and inform the buyer politely that he can proceed to unlock the phone since he owns it now.

pete480

macrumors regular
Sep 11, 2014
Long Island, NY

The only option is :

Do nothing and inform the buyer politely that he can proceed to unlock the phone since he owns it now.

I agree. I don't know why everyone thinks it's the sellers responsibility to unlock a phone that was sold locked.

iFalcon

macrumors 6502
Sep 6, 2007
This is why I use Craigslist with local cash purchase only and a throwaway phone number. Once the transaction is done, I "burn" the phone number so there is no chance of the buyer ever finding me again.

Go ahead and unlock the phone but consider this a lesson learned and move on.

Throw away number? How are you doing that? I'd been interested in that for some of my Craigslist stuff.

--disregard...missed a post earlier on how to do this.

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota

The only option is :

Unfortunately, it doesn't work that way on ebay. Part of selling on ebay requires you to accept a return regardless of the reason (or they'll rule against you). If you want to wash your hands off it the second you sell something, use CL or something else.

617aircav

Suspended
Jul 2, 2012

Not true. If he has an att login he can request the unlock. I've done it several times on 2nd hand phones. As long as the phone is not under a contract.

RetiredInFl

macrumors 68020
Jul 7, 2008
FORMERLY NJ now FL
same. I sell a completely working device advertised accurately. we meet at a starbucks, give buyer an opportunity to check it out, then that is it. we're done. i have the money, you have the phone, i need nothing more to do with the person after that point.

When I tried selling my iPhone 5 on CL I got about 20 of the usual "I'll pay you $100 extra if you send it to my brother/father/sister/uncle in south america" scam messages, then I made 3 "appointments" to meet 3 "I DEFINITELY WANT IT" buyers at the local mall of which 2 never showed and the 3rd offered me 1/2 of what he agreed to pay (it was in A+++ condition) so I wasted probably 4 hours of my time. I REALLY don't see what is so great about CL other than the fact there are no fees. There are as many scams coming from there as anywhere and you have to actually meet up with these people who half the time don't show.

I did sell an iPad Mini 1 via CL and (other than the usual scam emails) the actual mall meet-up went well but it really is just as much of a hassle (other than fees) as with eBay.

Maybe where you live they are more reliable but not around here (NJ/NYC area).

Funny part was, ultimately I sold it here on MacRumors for a fair price but that isn't the point. I've sold numerous iPhones on eBay without issue other than the 15-18% it costs in fees & shipping which aren't much worse then the hassles of the "meetings in the mall" (or wherever) required of CL.

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
When I tried selling my iPhone 5 on CL I got about 20 of the usual "I'll pay you $100 extra if you send it to my brother/father/sister/uncle in south america" scam messages, then I made 3 "appointments" to meet 3 "I DEFINITELY WANT IT" buyers at the local mall of which 2 never showed and the 3rd offered me 1/2 of what he agreed to pay (it was in A+++ condition) so I wasted probably 4 hours of my time. I REALLY don't see what is so great about CL other than the fact there are no fees. There are as many scams coming from there as anywhere and you have to actually meet up with these people who half the time don't show.

Even in ebay, we have to deal with non-paying bidders and slave through messages from people trying to low ball/buy outside of ebay.

Ebay and CL have their own advantages and drawbacks. You decide which you're more comfortable with.

hipnetic

macrumors 65816
Oct 5, 2010
Looks like the OP already dealt with this, so I'm late to the party, but I'm surprised that I seem to be the only person who would have suggested this:

Why not work out a compromise that becomes a win-win for buyer and seller? The OP screwed up by not unlocking the phone ahead of time, thus costing himself some money. The buyer either screwed up in not buying what he needed, or he was being dishonest and trying to score an unlocked phone at a locked phone price. So, why not meet in the middle somewhere? The OP could have offered to unlock the phone in exchange for $25-50 (or whatever). The buyer still gets a good deal on an unlocked phone, and the seller gets a little extra cash.

Whatever dollar value you throw out there, I'd be willing to haggle. But if the buyer complains and says he's not interested in paying any more, it leans me towards thinking that he was being dishonest from the start, so too bad for him.

JAlvi

macrumors newbie
Sep 11, 2014
You did nothing wrong. Only thing wrong was not making more money for yourself. Your posting was accurate and you didn't scam the buyer in any way. If you don't plan on using eBay to sell who cares. If you are planning to sell tell the buyer you will get it unlocked in turn for a good review.

ET iPhone Home

macrumors 68040
Oct 5, 2011
Orange County, California USA
how is explicitly stating in an ebay ad that it is locked to AT&T a lack of communication?????????? he ****ASSUMED**** it was unlocked, the ad said it was locked to AT&T. that is Buyers fault. period. OP is not trying to "gain more money after it was sold" -- if anything OP should direct buyer to AT&Ts website, and wash his hands of this nonsense. if you can't ****ing read well enough to know what you're buying on the internet, get off the internet. jesus.

suck up the difference. wow. don't ever go in to business for yourself my man.

Take a chill pill. You get so worked up over a point of view. Direct your energy at OP to collect the difference then, no one is stopping you. "get off the internet" LOL, yeah right! Total nonsense.

terraphantm

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2009
Pennsylvania
how is explicitly stating in an ebay ad that it is locked to AT&T a lack of communication?????????? he ****ASSUMED**** it was unlocked, the ad said it was locked to AT&T. that is Buyers fault. period. OP is not trying to "gain more money after it was sold" -- if anything OP should direct buyer to AT&Ts website, and wash his hands of this nonsense. if you can't ****ing read well enough to know what you're buying on the internet, get off the internet. jesus.

suck up the difference. wow. don't ever go in to business for yourself my man.

Meh, if a buyer made a real mistake and I can fix the issue for no cost to myself, then I'll just go ahead and do it. Good will goes a long way

AppleFan360

macrumors 68020
Jan 26, 2008

I did sell an iPad Mini 1 via CL and (other than the usual scam emails) the actual mall meet-up went well but it really is just as much of a hassle (other than fees) as with eBay.

Maybe where you live they are more reliable but not around here (NJ/NYC area).

Funny part was, ultimately I sold it here on MacRumors for a fair price but that isn't the point. I've sold numerous iPhones on eBay without issue other than the 15-18% it costs in fees & shipping which aren't much worse then the hassles of the "meetings in the mall" (or wherever) required of CL.

Not trying to diss your area but yes, it does depend on where you live. It doesn't surprise me that the people in your area are like that. So far I haven't had anyone not show up at the meeting time (I live in Texas).

RetiredInFl

macrumors 68020
Jul 7, 2008
FORMERLY NJ now FL
Even in ebay, we have to deal with non-paying bidders and slave through messages from people trying to low ball/buy outside of ebay.

Ebay and CL have their own advantages and drawbacks. You decide which you're more comfortable with.

Of course you're right however I've been selling on eBay since 1999 with ZERO issues of non-pay, and never a refund request and rarely a "off eBay deal" email. However 99.9999% of my eBay sales are BIN, immediate payment on purchase so there is no option or chance of non-paying buyers. I have well over 2000 feedback with maybe 2 or 3 "neutrals" over the years (and those for silly things) including quite a number of personally owned "iDevices." It's just the damned average 15% in fees that is a killer. If you post a fair price and FULLY and OVER-DESCRIBE your item usually you'll be OK.

Not trying to diss your area but yes, it does depend on where you live. It doesn't surprise me that the people in your area are like that. So far I haven't had anyone not show up at the meeting time (I live in Texas).

It's not a "diss" you're 100% right. Plus, unlike in TX, we can't carry 6-shooters on our belts or under our 10gallon hats when we do a meet! :D

KdParker

macrumors 601
Oct 1, 2010
Everywhere
Unfortunately, it doesn't work that way on ebay. Part of selling on ebay requires you to accept a return regardless of the reason (or they'll rule against you). If you want to wash your hands off it the second you sell something, use CL or something else.

Agreed. But we aren't talking about a return in this case, the op stated that the buyer was asking them to unlock the phone and nothing was mentioned about a return.

Treat of a return doesn't mean do whatever the buyer asks.

617aircav

Suspended
Jul 2, 2012
Craig's list is my first oprtion, then ebay. Sold my unlocked Galaxy s5 today for $400. I listed it for $400. I just rejected low bidders. Other times I will buy on CL and sell on eBay, like a Samsung gear 2 neo someone sold to me for $80 and sold on eBay for 160.

itjw

macrumors 65816
Dec 20, 2011
you should have kept to your original listing. there are alot of crappy people on eBay that will buy from you to get it cheaper then request to get it unlocked. You'd be amazed at the stuff people try to pull on there.

I am very detailed and put exactly what IS and ISN'T included.

example below.....

"NEW Oakley Fast Jacket Polished White Frame w/Red Icons and Hinges Only!

You are bidding on a NEW Oakley Fast Jacket Frame. The regular or XL lens styles will fit these frames. All items are 100% genuine authentic Oakley products. Get these while they are still available. Thanks for looking!

Please Note: this auction does not include the original box, lenses, extra lenses, extra nose piece, microfiber cleaning bag, or paperwork.

Included in this auction will be:

Oakley Fast Jacket Polished White Frame

Oakley Soft Vault"

Just received my Oakley's! When should I expect the extra lenses and cleaning cloth's? I know you haven't had time to respond yet, but I opened a buyer protection case anyway and initiated a chargeback.

Please advise.

Oh, and since you can't leave me negative feedback, I left some for you. Neener neener.

Thanks!!!

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
Meh, if a buyer made a real mistake and I can fix the issue for no cost to myself, then I'll just go ahead and do it. Good will goes a long way

Nothing wrong with goodwill to a honest mistake, as seems to be the case here based on the OP's subsequent posts. However, what doesn't make sense is why some forum members automatically thought the OP was in the wrong based on the OP alone. They actually think it's fair for a buyer to purposely buy a locked iPhone then try to get it unlocked after the fact, as some unscrupulous buyers are known to do?

terraphantm

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2009
Pennsylvania
Nothing wrong with goodwill to a honest mistake, as seems to be the case here based on the OP's subsequent posts. However, what doesn't make sense is why some forum members automatically thought the OP was in the wrong based on the OP alone. They actually think it's fair for a buyer to purposely buy a locked iPhone then try to get it unlocked after the fact, as some unscrupulous buyers are known to do?

Yeah that's fair. I'd probably ask the buyer if it's possible to unlock it before actually committing to buy it, but otherwise I'd just be prepared to spend $40 on an aftermarket unlock.

CalMin

Contributor
Nov 8, 2007
Guys - you all took my comment the wrong way. What I meant was that the OP made an error by not unlocking the phone BEFORE selling it and getting his extra $100.

I don't think the buyer is acting like a jerk either. He's just asking if the seller would unlock the phone. There is no cost involved, so why not just do it? I didn't see anything about threats of negative feedback from the buyer.

The transaction is complete. I don't why the OP would want money from the buyer to have him unlock the phone, when it doesn't cost the OP anything.

You made an error. Learn from it.

I would get it unlocked for him as a good gesture. It won't cost you anything, so why should the buyer pay for it? He got a good deal (eBay contract is binding) so let him be happy. You could get positive feedback that way too.

Remember he would not have bought YOUR phone for $75-100 dollars more. You made a deal. Next time be wiser about it and unlock the phone before selling.

Seems like this buyer is pulling a fast one and trying to get an unlocked phone cheaper.

If this was a few weeks ago the transaction was completed by now. So whether or not this buyer will give negative feedback shouldn't allow him to rip you off.

The OP didn't make any technical error. He didn't advertise it as unlocked and isn't obligated to do it. The buyer is trying to take advantage of him.

uhhhhhhhhhh.......how did he make an error? he advertised a device accurately, the buyer bought it.

people here amaze me.

nebo1ss

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2010
Not true. If he has an att login he can request the unlock. I've done it several times on 2nd hand phones. As long as the phone is not under a contract.

I, along with many others have had the opposite experience.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.