Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

h9826790

macrumors P6
Original poster
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
The firmware for correcting the read performance of the 840 Evo is already available.

However, the firmware must upgrade through the Samsung SSD 840 EVO Performance Restoration Software. Which only works for a NTFS partition under Windows.

My Evo is for OSX only, so doesn't work. Have to wait until the end of the month.

If anyone have a 840 Evo for bootcamp, it should work, and you may upgrade the firmware now.

Last edited:

mikeboss

macrumors 68000
Aug 13, 2009
switzerland
luckily I only have one 840 EVO and it's only for testing. did the update this afternoon using Windows 7. it took about half an hour (I don't know what the software does exactly, but it takes some time). and yes, it only worked after I created an NTFS partition on it :rolleyes:

h9826790

macrumors P6
Original poster
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
So, it seems that I can crate a NTFS partition on it without touch my OSX partition and upgrade the firmware now. Thanks for this info!

mikeboss

macrumors 68000
Aug 13, 2009
switzerland
So, it seems that I can crate a NTFS partition on it without touch my OSX partition and upgrade the firmware now. Thanks for this info!

this is not what I did. I deleted all partitions of OS X and created one NTFS partition across the whole drive.

h9826790

macrumors P6
Original poster
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
Oh~ I see. I have a full disk backup, but may be just wait for 2 more weeks rather than destroy the whole partition for the firmware upgrade.

That-Guy

macrumors 6502a
Feb 25, 2012
UK
Right so I have the 840 Evo as my master drive with Yosemite GM 3 on in my Mac Mini, I can wipe this drive that's not a problem but where would I go from there?

I obviously need a version of windows on there and the drive formatted in NTFS.

How would I go about doing this, never tried running windows on a Mac before :D

mikeboss

macrumors 68000
Aug 13, 2009
switzerland
I suggest that you wait two weeks until the Mac compatible updater will become available. ->

http://www.samsung.com/global/business/semiconductor/samsungssd/downloads.html

SAMSUNG840EVO.jpg

Last edited:

That-Guy

macrumors 6502a
Feb 25, 2012
UK
Ah there's going to be a Mac version too!

Sorry didn't realise, will wait for the Mac version, run the tool, install the public release of Yosemite from USB after that :)

Gav Mack

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2008
Sagittarius A*
I've had no complaints from any of my Evo clients, I have lots out there in the field and have two in Macs myself. I will wait a while as they have rushed this firmware out quickly and the theory of fast bug fixes can cause more problems is very sound in practice, even though I can quite easily update the drives as both of mine have boot camp installed.

If my son decides to turn into a teenage brat in the next few weeks I may be tempted to use his 250 evo in his minecraft rig as my guinea pig :D

rjtiedeman

macrumors 6502
Nov 29, 2010
Stamford, CT
Firmware Update finally worked for me

After many tries at running the DOS CD and also a DOS DVD FIRMWARE update on my Samsung EVO 840-1TB. Installed in the optical bay of a 2010 5,1 MAC PRO. I removed all external connections, all internal drives and my FASTA USB card. The Samsung Firmware update started and ran quickly and with out issue. Now all I have to do is get TRIM Enabler to work again with out killing my MAC PRO. Machine is working fine with the CCD has been moved back on the velocity X2. I ran the Blackmagic Speed test app. It ran slow at first then on the second try it pushed the needle to the top of the scale. I guess we will see.

Bob

The DOS start up does not know what to look for on a PRO tower with lots of stuff attached.

Zwhaler

macrumors 604
Jun 10, 2006
I ran the utility on 2 of my SSDs (1TB 840 EVOs August 2013 edition) and everything works fine now, as far as I know.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.