Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

poiihy

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Aug 22, 2014
Is there such a thing as a simple and basic operating system that functions as a DVD player and nothing else? So you can quickly start a computer as a DVD player without booting into a fat operating system loading all this unnecessary stuff. I searched the internet and all I found was stuff about Mac OS DVD player ¬_¬

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
Years ago there was this very basic OS that was included on some HP and Dell machines that was nothing more than a simple media player that had DVD playback abilities. OEM's have long since stopped including that stuff though. Currently, I don't know of anything. You may be able to alter a Mac's Recovery partition to allow such a functionality though.

poiihy

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Aug 22, 2014
Years ago there was this very basic OS that was included on some HP and Dell machines that was nothing more than a simple media player that had DVD playback abilities. OEM's have long since stopped including that stuff though. Currently, I don't know of anything. You may be able to alter a Mac's Recovery partition to allow such a functionality though.

For some reason the Recovery OS takes longer to boot than the main OS

Cancelled
Apr 19, 2014
The closest thing I can think of would be Arch Linux with a minimalist window manager that starts VLC automatically with X11. Arch boots very fast, and could be even faster if you compiled a lean kernel.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.