Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Krazy Bill

macrumors 68030
Dec 21, 2011
Hot corners is what I'd recommend, it is what many use, but you clearly have other needs.
Hot Corners? The OP wants to switch windows faster... not stare at them. In Lion once MC shows you the windows you can't even use the arrow keys to select one. (Unlike Snow Leopard).

What exactly do you do that you need so many different windows open of so many applications? Just wondering.
Does it really matter? I often have a dozen or more documents open many belonging to different applications. It's tedious to CMD+TAB to find the application then have to switch a finger to use CMD+'.

Just remember that OSX works differently than Windows, so you might have to change your workflow in order to work efficiently on your Mac.
Utter nonsense. You find a way to make your machine work the way you want it to.

A conclusive solution is to use an app called Witch. It mimics the Windows Alt+Tab behavior. It lists each window separately and doesn't discern between app or doc.

theSeb

macrumors 604
Aug 10, 2010
none
CMD + Tab switches applications, one you have the app you want put three fingers on your trackpad and swipe down, it will show all your windows for that app. That's what I do.

You don't need to use the track pad to achieve this.

You're holding cmd, whilst tabbing via the applications. Once you are on the application you require, continue holding cmd and hit the down arrow with your other hand. This will bring up all of the windows for that app. You can select which one you want using the left and right arrows.

The reason why I mention this is because once I am using the keyboard (cmd + tab) I want to keep using the keyboard. It's inefficient for me to now take my hands of the keyboard and use the mouse or trackpad again.

There is another thing that sort of works - Ctrl + F4 (make sure you're hitting Fn if your settings require it) - it tabs through ALL open windows of ALL open applications that are open on the current desktop. So it won't tab to windows on your other mission control desktops.

ksurakka

macrumors newbie
May 7, 2012
This is just opinion, it does not give value to anyone.

I'm quite a long time Mac user and have used Windows also, neither is perfect.

I think there should be easy way (hotkey) to toggle between windows in Lion, I need this feature to work efficiently. Haven't tried Witch yet, because it feels silly to pay 10$ to get something that should exists already. Of course you get more than just a one hotkey with Witch, but anyway.

----------

Just tried WindowFlow and it seems very nice. It's still third party app, but at least for now, it's free.

Jagardn

macrumors 6502a
Apr 18, 2011
I enabled the App Expose gesture under System Preferences>Trackpad>More Gestures.
With it enabled, swipe 3 fingers down, then click on the Dock Icon of your choice, it will show all open windows for the app.

Or

CMD TAB to the App you want and do the 3 finger down gesture.

Hope that helps, works well for me.:D

malangali

macrumors newbie
Sep 11, 2012
As a longtime Mac user, I want to apologize for all of the total prick responses on this thread.

Your best friend, for now, is App Expose. /QUOTE]

Thanks very much for this. I came to the forum because I could not find some buried Chrome windows - I have 51 tabs open in 5 different windows, and during the course of the day have moved from 3 monitors to one monitor to 2 monitors and back to one, and somewhere along the line the windows that had been on one of the extended monitors got completely lost. Mission Control was no help. And reading through the forum and getting yelled at for being a newbie to Mac by people who are far superior to me because they have never been tainted by the Windows experience - that's not very pleasant, when all you want to do is find a document you need so you can get back to work.

Fortunately, your info about App Expose was easy and exactly what I needed. Clicked it on, switched back to Chrome, swiped my fingers, and all my Chrome windows were once again visible. So, back to work...

goodaan

macrumors newbie
Sep 16, 2012
Thanks Galtenberg and all others for the useful tips. The question was the first one I had when I switched to a MacAir 3 days ago, along with where is the delete key (Ctrl D)! The miserable person who said go back to Windows shouldn't be giving tips. This was a valid question and even if he took it as a criticism, we are all free say what we think. I have been using the trackpad for 3 days after 30 years using a keyboard and mouse - not easy remembering the swipes and the 3-finger suddenly becomes 4-finger if 3-f set to move windows around the screen.

1. In fact I'd like to drag windows with one finger like I would click and hold with the mouse.

2. In mail, I cannot drag messages to folders. Maybe I succeeded by pressing hard while my click is set to a light tap. If this is the only way apart from via menu, so be it.

3. I created my folders under windows as the smart folders or whatever aren't created under my gmail. So are these normal folders linked to the apple account? And how can I create under gmail?

4. In mail I'd like to pinch out or use a keyboard shortcut key to increase font size on my MacAir 11" Better still, change the default mail display as far too tiny.

Easy things which are not so obvious to Apple novices.

Last edited:

goodaan

macrumors newbie
Sep 16, 2012
How to configure a MacAir keyboard

Since I don't know how to start a new thread I'm replying to this one.

I have a Swiss FR keyboard (so no tilde above the tab key to test the hotkey). Does anyone know how I can swap the Y and Z keys?

blixorb

macrumors newbie
Dec 18, 2012
this window-switching is a "real problem"

this is one of my biggest annoyances with osx.

I use on average 4-5 different programs at any given time during the day (excel, powerpoint, safari, chrome, im/video, and maybe something else) and each might have 2-4 'windows.'

It's my work flow, it's just how it is - have to move from document to web page(s) to im(s) to audio/video calls to presentations etc - and having to CMD + Tab then CMD + ` to find a specific window in any one of the apps is maddening.

Yes, expose/mission control/etc is there, but its not as fast - if I have to take my fingers from the keyboard (often using a kvm switch with a "real" keyboard for faster typing & ergonomics, have to switch /b/ machines too) I'm losing time.

it's not a "windows does this vs mac doesn't" it's a "I really need to move through all these windows quickly" problem.

colourfastt

macrumors 65816
Apr 7, 2009
This is just opinion, it does not give value to anyone.

I'm quite a long time Mac user and have used Windows also, neither is perfect.

I think there should be easy way (hotkey) to toggle between windows in Lion, I need this feature to work efficiently. Haven't tried Witch yet, because it feels silly to pay 10$ to get something that should exists already. Of course you get more than just a one hotkey with Witch, but anyway.

----------

Just tried WindowFlow and it seems very nice. It's still third party app, but at least for now, it's free.

There was ... in Leopard and SL it was called Spaces.

MauriceG

macrumors regular
Feb 9, 2013
Key combination Ctrl - F4 didn't work

The key combination Ctrl F4 did not work on my Macbook Air. Strange enough it did work if I used Fn Ctrl F4. Within System Preferences - Keyboard - Keyboard_shortcuts it appeared that there was a conflict (i.e. 2 programs use the same key combination). To reveal this, press Ctrl F7. You will see yellow warning markers triangles if conflicts exist. I mapped Ctrl F4 to Alt Tab. Just like in Windows 7. Works fine (although you only see windows within the current Space).

ToddIA

macrumors newbie
Mar 6, 2013
First post! :eek:

I recently bought our first Mac: a 13" rMBP which will be my wife's primary computer. I may end up with my own sometime, too.

I am trying to get up to speed on getting around via the keyboard. I am very adept at doing so in Windows, and if I am unable to attain similar speed in OS X, I will be very frustrated. I am earnestly trying to be open to learning the "Mac way" of doing things, but I will have a hard time accomplishing that if the perceived speed of doing so is compromised.

In Windows, I use alt-tab a thousand times a day. The way I rely on this one keystroke is so intuitive and automatic that a disruption to it is extremely distracting. In OS X, there is command-tab. What bewilders me is why, if one command-tabs to a program that was previously minimized, it does not restore that program's window to the foreground. What good does it do me to get the attention of a particular program if I cannot also see it? I guess it gives the main menu at the top of the screen control of that program, but if I can't see it, I can't imagine doing much to it. I'm sure there is some reason for this but I have not had my moment of enlightenment on this particular feature.

I don't yet understand the need for hide vs. minimize. It seems to me if something is minimized, it is effectively hidden.

There are many places in OS X where I find myself needing a command-W to dismiss a window (like an email message, or a dialog in a System Preferences area) where escape would have sufficed in Windows. My experience thus far is that the plain old easy-to-find-by-touch escape key is underutilized in OS X. I could be wrong.

I understand the different Mac logic on the green zoom button and how it behaves differently than the Windows maximize feature. Pretty clever how it only enlarges the window in each dimension up to the point where there is a benefit in doing so rather than potentially just having a bunch of white space in an oversized window. If a window has been maximized/zoomed in this manner, how does one quickly return that window to its previous smaller size? And not to be confused with the iOS-like full screen mode, which is sort of "beyond" zoomed or maximized. :D

Kaleidoscope

macrumors newbie
Mar 6, 2013
Alt-tab solution

I've been similarly frustrated with the lack of an apparent way to switch back-and-forth between windows, like Windows' Alt-Tab, and then I stumbled on the following:
(For two windows in the same program): Command-` to switch, then Shift-Command-` to switch back! (The " ` " is the key above "tab".) As in Windows, the 'shift' reverses the order of the cycling, which is what led me to try this.

I was thrilled to figure this out -- it's extremely tedious to wander through windows instead of simply going back-and-forth! (If you're curious: I work a lot on image analysis and want to compare features in two versions of an image, looking at one, then the other, then the first, etc. Having them side by side isn't good enough, since I want to see features at the same position that might have been subtly shifted by the processing.)

benwiggy

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2012
Utter nonsense. You find a way to make your machine work the way you want it to.
A chisel doesn't make the best screwdriver.

Any OS is designed to provide functions that work in a certain way. Sometimes, there is flexibility to allow variation -- this is why there are preferences and settings. And sometimes third-party software can help.

But sometimes there isn't. For instance, the common complain of Windows switchers that <return> should open a file in the Finder.

But all UI controls, ultimately, have to be learnt. None of them are truly "intuitive", except in being similar to other ones we've used before. The things that you demand your computer to do now are things that you have learnt from elsewhere -- other OSes or versions. So why no more learning?

Generally, OS X does provide methods of doing what you want reasonably efficiently. (There are a few exceptions!) They may be different from what has been learned previously, but the simplest way of proceeding is to learn the methods available, rather than trying to force the machine to work against its nature.

However, Apple is testing the boundaries by introducing new paradigms like Auto-Save, Resume, Mission Control, etc. You can send feedback to Apple, of course, but if the function isn't there, and there is no third-party software, then you just have to get used to it. Like all things, once you've done it a few times, it will become second-nature.

If people are not prepared to learn and adapt, then they're not using their computer to its fullest capabilities. (Their squishy grey computer, not the one on their desk.) :D

Personally, I find that there are many different ways to switch windows in OS X, and I can't say that any of them are particularly tiresome or ineffective.

Last edited:

dubiousity

macrumors newbie
Apr 13, 2014
Cycle through windows of the same application

Mavericks use Command + Tab to switch between the application but if you want to cycle through the different window of same application use this: Command + Tab + DownArrow it will show all the open windows of the same application which you can select using arrow keys.

BRB225

macrumors newbie
Aug 20, 2014
This is what I use http://d.pr/i/3viH

1. System Preferences
2. Keyboard
3. Shortcuts
4. Mission Control
5. Switch to desktop 1
6. Open mission control and click the + in the upper right corner http://d.pr/i/3viH and add windows (not sure what the max number is)
7. Go back to the keyboard shortcuts and you will see the new window you added.
8. Use the shortcuts to switch windows and open separate apps in each window.

Hope this helps!

unfrostedpoptar

macrumors regular
Jan 29, 2010
Cmd-` is a great way, normally, to switch between windows of the same application. Unfortunately it doesn't work for apps in full screen mode (as of Nov '11). This is an oversight that needs to be fixed... swiping with three-fingers is not a serious option for a professional operating system.

But here's hoping Ctrl-` comes to full-screen apps soon.

Any updates on this? It drives me nuts. And, yes, I know all the trackpad shortcuts and use BetterTouchTool but there's no excuse for not being able to do this from the keyboard. Don't suppose this is fixed in 10.10? I used to use Witch. Does that handle this? I suppose I can reinstall and check.

telling

macrumors newbie
May 13, 2014
I also have problems adaptation to osx in this regard. windows handling / task switching seems cumbersome even after a long time using osx compared to windows.

- expose is much slower for me than the taskbar or alt+tab
- virtual desktops are nice (via alt+1,2,3,), but I have to remember what task I'm doing on each desktop and set them up properly (= overhead for me)

especially interested in power users(lots of multitasking /working)/developers point of view (like myself).

again. no bashing here. just wondering and learning.

bbeagle

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2010
Buffalo, NY
I also have problems adaptation to osx in this regard. windows handling / task switching seems cumbersome even after a long time using osx compared to windows.

- expose is much slower for me than the taskbar or alt+tab
- virtual desktops are nice (via alt+1,2,3,), but I have to remember what task I'm doing on each desktop and set them up properly (= overhead for me)

especially interested in power users(lots of multitasking /working)/developers point of view (like myself).

I'm MUCH speedier in switching apps/windows on the mac than in Windows.

I use cmd-tab to switch between application. Note, that clicking it once goes to the most recently used application. You can cycle back and forth between 2 applications very quickly this way.

I set up all my applications in different desktops depending on what they are. i.e. mail in one, Xcode/development in another, web browsing in another, etc. I also like full-screen apps for many of them, like Xcode. And then the Simulator is on the other monitor as a window.

I use a magic trackpad on the left side of my keyboard and a mouse on the right. The magic trackpad really speeds up what I do. It's key to have both the trackpad and a mouse on a desktop.

I have 2 monitors.

I either 3-finger swipe up for mission control, and then select an app/window/screen, or 3-finger swipe left/right to change screens, or cmd-tab to move between applications. (For those with just a mouse and no magic trackpad, setting the middle mouse button to mission control is also an option)

After using this for a few days, it becomes 'instinct' on how to switch between applications. It's sort of like I'm a mozart with screens coming in and out through mission control and back to me.

In windows, I need to install a screen manager to have multiple screen, and then have to mouse-click each 'screen' to each different application. alt-tab only works for the applications currently on each 'screen'. It's slower than what I do on my mac, and my workflow a different 'feel'

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.