Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GhostRaider

macrumors 6502
Jun 2, 2014
The Mac Mini isn't dead, assuming that they keep that name. Rumors suggest that it's getting a redesign similar to the Mac Pro. 2014 is not likely for a release anymore because there is no point in Apple adding a Haswell chip now. They most likely had plans to release a Broadwell version of the Mac Mini around mid 2014, which makes sense because most releases of Intel start in January but because Intel messed up, it will have to wait next year.

The fate of the Mac Mini is pretty strong if you think about it. Apple engineers have time to think about the next generation of Mac Mini:

1. They can rebrand the Mac Mini to Mac Pro Mini, have a cylindrical design and cost around $999. It would need to have some serious hardware inside this thing for it to cost that much but it makes sense for it to have better hardware than an iMac since there is no built in display. An dedicated GPU is probable if they go this route.

2. The Mac Mini could use Intel's new Intel Core M processor which is fanless and can make the Mac Mini even more thinner and smaller. The performance though is questionable. The cost could be around $599.

3. The Mac Mini will have a desktop broadwell processor and dedicated GPU. Again specs are questionable.

So that's pretty much it. The reason I believe its getting a redesign is because Apple tends to hold off on upgrading hardware when they have plans on redesigning it. i.e. Mac Pro wasn't upgraded for quite a while and now its next gen. MacBook Pro is now next gen. The iMac is now next gen because of its thin design, and last to get a redesign has to be Mac Mini. Macbook Air will also get a next gen label because it will be fanless.

thenightwatcher

macrumors newbie
Jun 10, 2012
Need a 32GB Mini please

I would buy two Minis today if Apple would just redesign the logic board to accommodate 32GBs of RAM. In orchestral film scoring anything less that 32GBs is a handicap. I'd also like to see a higher end i7.

A MacPro as the host and two Minis (w/32GBs) as slaves would be a very nice Apple rig for film scoring. I know most people wonder why the heck anyone needs more than 16GBs of RAM for anything. I max out 32GBs on all of my MacPros just by opening my orchestral template.

Any rumors regarding a 32GB capable redesign of the Minis?

Thanks!

Mago

macrumors 68030
Aug 16, 2011
Beyond the Thunderdome
I would buy two Minis today if Apple would just redesign the logic board to accommodate 32GBs of RAM. In orchestral film scoring anything less that 32GBs is a handicap. I'd also like to see a higher end i7.

A MacPro as the host and two Minis (w/32GBs) as slaves would be a very nice Apple rig for film scoring. I know most people wonder why the heck anyone needs more than 16GBs of RAM for anything. I max out 32GBs on all of my MacPros just by opening my orchestral template.

Any rumors regarding a 32GB capable redesign of the Minis?

Thanks!
Unlikely from now on mid term, coz the new mini sure will come with soldered ram, and as the MacBooks offering sure will be limited to 8/16 gb.

I suggest you an cto iMac if you can't afford the Mac Pro. whatever wait a month until the updated new Mac Pro it's released, maybe an cheaper x99/i7 based Mac Pro it's released along the Xeon workhorses.

scupking

macrumors 6502a
Dec 14, 2010
I think we won't see them until next year when they can put the new intel processors in them.

dcorban

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2007
I'm back in the market for a new Mac mini. Mine is the 2010 model, I believe. The last one with an optical drive.

I need usb3 and a faster CPU.

chillywilly

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2005
Salt Lake City
New Mac mini updates. Nice to see this, even if was just a small amount of time to mention them. Guess I know what I'm buying next week. i7 with 16gb of RAM.

steve333

macrumors 65816
Dec 12, 2008
They make it sound like the Mini comes standard with the SSDI drive. It doesn't, it's $200 more as is the Fusion Drive. The $499 model comes with a 1.4 chip.
So basically the $699 model with the flash drive is $899.
The $999 Model comes with a Fusion Drive standard but it's only a $200 option in the $699 Model so I have to assume the $999 model comes with better graphics but it isn't mentioned anywhere.

Edit-Nope, the extra $100 is for 2.8 Ghz vs 2.6Ghz. Graphics is the same in both

Last edited:

chillywilly

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2005
Salt Lake City
They make it sound like the Mini comes standard with the SSDI drive. It doesn't, it's $200 more as is the Fusion Drive. The $499 model comes with a 1.4 chip.
So basically the $699 model with the flash drive is $899.

Yeah, and the $999 model is the only one that can go 1TB of SSD, which adds another $800 on top of that.

Now that the specs are listed on Apple's site, none of the new minis comes with quad-core. I was bummed to see it still be dual-core. Perhaps they didn't want to cut into the iMac sales.

steve333

macrumors 65816
Dec 12, 2008
Yeah, and the $999 model is the only one that can go 1TB of SSD, which adds another $800 on top of that.

Now that the specs are listed on Apple's site, none of the new minis comes with quad-core. I was bummed to see it still be dual-core. Perhaps they didn't want to cut into the iMac sales.

They never do, but I think it's a different market and Apple just needs to embrace the Mini as a computer that many people want and like and to stop neutering it.
Design wise it looks to me like it's a little stubbier and taller, not sure.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.