Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TH55

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 5, 2011
I LOVE the beautiful screen, incredible speed and thinness/lightness. However, afrer 13 days I am unable to get used to the width of the phone. I use it one-handed, in my right hand, and while I'm able to do pretty much everything, it is cumbersome and uncomfortable to perform many tasks.

While reachability is intuitive and helps a great deal, reaching the top half of the screen, especially the top left, can still be fairly difficult. Closing a tab in Safari is particularly troubling.

Additionally, the many bugs of iOS 8 don't help and I have no way of knowing which if any will be resolved anytime soon. The wifi issues and lack of keyboard shortcuts are a huge drawback.

The main gripe I have though would honestly have to be the width. The bottom right corner pokes into my my palm pretty firmly and this can become uncomfortable over time. When I switch back to my 4S it is like night and day how much better it fits and I'm able to reach everything and navigate with ease.

I really wish they would've made a third phone somewhere between the 5 and the 6 in size.

Why are/have you returned yours?

nburwell

macrumors 603
May 6, 2008
DE
I purchased the 128GB 6 last week, used it for about a day, then went back to my 5s and subsequently returned the 6. While I wasn't used to the size (I would get used to that over time), my main gripe was that a lot of the apps I use aren't optimized for the larger screen of the 6/6+. At this point, I'm going to wait until I see the apps that are installed on my phone are being updated to utilize the 6/6+ screen. I may even hold off until the 6s is released since my 5s works perfectly fine on iOS 8.

TH55

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 5, 2011
I purchased the 128GB 6 last week, used it for about a day, then went back to my 5s and subsequently returned the 6. While I wasn't used to the size (I would get used to that over time), my main gripe was that a lot of the apps I use aren't optimized for the larger screen of the 6/6+. At this point, I'm going to wait until I see the apps that are installed on my phone are being updated to utilize the 6/6+ screen. I may even hold off until the 6s is released since my 5s works perfectly fine on iOS 8.

How much faster is the 6 than the 5S?

nburwell

macrumors 603
May 6, 2008
DE
How much faster is the 6 than the 5S?

To be honest, it wasn't significantly faster than my 5s. Although it certainly handles iOS 8 better than my 5s. Overall, I use my rMini to watch videos so the bigger screen real estate on the 6 wasn't a huge deal for me. Plus, I got the 128GB (only model they had in stock). I don't need that much, so I will wait until later this year or early next year to get the 64GB 6. Or just hold off until the 6s is released

If you have the 4s now, you certainly should look at going with the 5s. I don't have big hands, and my 5s fit much more comfortably in my hands than the 6 did.

argonomics

macrumors newbie
Oct 16, 2014
I returned my 6+ as well. I will get a new iPhone eventually but my personal reasons (just my own opinion):

-Performance not a big enough jump from 5S (I don't play games)
-Camera and picture quality not a big enough jump from 5S (at least I can't really tell)
-not used to size / have to worry all the time in my pocket or holding it
-1gb ram although its enough today, still not comfortable how it would hold up with iOS9, iOS10
-slight lag on iphone 6+ with iOS8
-apps still not optimized yet (will take some time)
-quality issues (mine had annoying loose home button)
-bending? Won't know for certain - only time will tell
-supply issues (wait a month)
-apple pay not widely deployed yet (not until 2015 to see wide deployment?)
-cases and protectors: i think in a few months there will be really awesome selection of cases to choose from that are time tested.

Since it takes time for all these things to get ironed out, by the time it gets ready I'll be looking at a few more months before I can actually tell if it's worth the upgrade. By that time I'll be a few months away from iPhone 6S and knowing myself, I'd really want that one instead. Personally, I felt like a beta-tester.

Last edited:

nilk

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2007
I'm about 70% sure I'm going return my 6 after this weekend. I'm giving it one more chance with a thinner case, but I've tried it caseless and reaching the opposite corner with my thumb is still difficult and often results in me dropping the phone.

There are too many times when I want to use it one-handed and I'm frustrated by the difficulty in doing so. Just this morning I was walking the dogs (two leashes in one hand), and I was pulling out my iPhone 6 to record my 2 yr old son ride a tricycle he just got for his birthday outside for the first time. Pulling it out and rotating into landscape mode, swiping to start the camera, etc was impossible one-handed and I had to get my second leash-holding hand involved.

I do like having 128GB and the camera (autofocus improvements and 60 FPS 1080P video). There is maybe 5% of time where the bigger screen is nice, and that's when I'm viewing photos or video. It's really unnecessary the rest of the time.

My previous phone is a 4S. It's too slow for me to continue using it. I picked up my wife's 5S and used it back and forth between the 6 and the 5S. The 5S is just a better overall device from a usability standpoint. Even with her Otterbox Symnetry case it is so comfortable and easy to use one handed. It's still on iOS 7 and feels faster than the 6 on iOS 8 (that may be because animations have less distance to travel, e.g. Safari switching to showing tabs).

I thought I could type better on the 6 due to the wider keyboard, but I can actually type faster one-handed on the 5S. I guess due to my muscle memory from years of using this keyboard configuration, but also a larger screen means your finger has to travel further.

I don't want to give up 60 FPS video, but this device costs way too much for me to be frustrated using it constantly. My plan is to buy a used 64GB iPhone 5S at half the cost of what the 128GB iPhone 6 costs (edit: I guess it doesn't make sense to compare 64GB to 128GB when a 64GB iPhone 6 exists; in any case I see used 64GB iPhone 5S with a year of AppleCare+ going for about $420).

jkel777

macrumors 6502a
May 10, 2014
I'm past the 2 week return period and didn't think twice about returning my 6 Plus (okay I lied, I maybe thought about exchanging it for a 6 ONCE). The extra screen real estate is flat-out awesome. And apps are finally starting to become optimized for the 6/6 Plus screens. Also, I'm sort of a "spec junkie," so I usually have to have the model with the best specs. The screen is fantastic, it takes great photos, and the battery life is probably the best feature of the 6 Plus. As for usability, yeah, it definitely takes some getting used to. I have the Tech21 Impact Check case which is fairly grippy, so I don't mind "shuffling" my phone in my hand to reach the top or bottom. Overall, I'm very happy with my purchase.

TH55

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 5, 2011
I'm about 70% sure I'm going return my 6 after this weekend. I'm giving it one more chance with a thinner case, but I've tried it caseless and reaching the opposite corner with my thumb is still difficult and often results in me dropping the phone.

There are too many times when I want to use it one-handed and I'm frustrated by the difficulty in doing so. Just this morning I was walking the dogs (two leashes in one hand), and I was pulling out my iPhone 6 to record my 2 yr old son ride a tricycle he just got for his birthday outside for the first time. Pulling it out and rotating into landscape mode, swiping to start the camera, etc was impossible one-handed and I had to get my second leash-holding hand involved.

I do like having 128GB and the camera (autofocus improvements and 60 FPS 1080P video). There is maybe 5% of time where the bigger screen is nice, and that's when I'm viewing photos or video. It's really unnecessary the rest of the time.

My previous phone is a 4S. It's too slow for me to continue using it. I picked up my wife's 5S and used it back and forth between the 6 and the 5S. The 5S is just a better overall device from a usability standpoint. Even with her Otterbox Symnetry case it is so comfortable and easy to use one handed. It's still on iOS 7 and feels faster than the 6 on iOS 8 (that may be because animations have less distance to travel, e.g. Safari switching to showing tabs).

I thought I could type better on the 6 due to the wider keyboard, but I can actually type faster one-handed on the 5S. I guess due to my muscle memory from years of using this keyboard configuration, but also a larger screen means your finger has to travel further.

I don't want to give up 60 FPS video, but this device costs way too much for me to be frustrated using it constantly. My plan is to buy a used 64GB iPhone 5S at half the cost of what the 128GB iPhone 6 costs (edit: I guess it doesn't make sense to compare 64GB to 128GB when a 64GB iPhone 6 exists; in any case I see used 64GB iPhone 5S with a year of AppleCare+ going for about $420).

Do you think it's possible we would get used to the size over time?

----------

I'm past the 2 week return period and didn't think twice about returning my 6 Plus (okay I lied, I maybe thought about exchanging it for a 6 ONCE). The extra screen real estate is flat-out awesome. And apps are finally starting to become optimized for the 6/6 Plus screens. Also, I'm sort of a "spec junkie," so I usually have to have the model with the best specs. The screen is fantastic, it takes great photos, and the battery life is probably the best feature of the 6 Plus. As for usability, yeah, it definitely takes some getting used to. I have the Tech21 Impact Check case which is fairly grippy, so I don't mind "shuffling" my phone in my hand to reach the top or bottom. Overall, I'm very happy with my purchase.

What do you need the extra screen for specifically?

bunnicula

macrumors 68040
Jul 23, 2008
Do you think it's possible we would get used to the size over time?

----------

What do you need the extra screen for specifically?

Let me tell you what I did, OP.

I thought I wanted the 6+ in the week leading up to preorder. I let my husband talk me into going with the 6, because my hands are small and he thought I'd have a hard time managing it, never mind fitting it into my wee, girl pockets.

I got my 6 on launch day, and it was really nice, but felt so much bigger than my 5s... wow!

Still, it was manageable and I quickly realized that I really wanted a 6+. Soo... I traded my 6 for a 6+. And it felt HUGE.

It was heavy. It made my wrists hurt. Hahahaha.

It's gorgeous, though. This week, my inlaws were in town and we'd planned to hand off 2 of the kids' 5C devices (in flaweless condition with AppleCare+ for another full year) to them because they needed new phones and wanted to try some smartphones without spending a lot of money.

So, my son, who had been wishy washy about what he wanted, finally concluded he wanted a 6+ and we could not find one for him ANYWHERE.

My daughter was waiting for my son to give her my old 5s, because that was all she wanted.

I gave my 6+ to my son and bought another 6.

You know what? The 6 seems small to me now, and I'm looking for another 6+.

My husband just shakes his head at me. LOL. He's got a 6 and he's totally happy.

What the point of my rambling here was:

You get used to whatever you're using. It's amazing how fast the 5s started to feel TINY to me after using the 6 and the 6+, and even more incredible how the 6 feels small to me now after a week and a half of using a 6+.

Yes. You will get used to the 6 if you keep it. My advice? Pick up a 5s again and see if it feels like what you really want compared to that 6 before you take back the 6.

You may be surprised to find that the 5s seems too small.

Or, it may be that you really don't like that larger phone and you'll love the 5s. Still, just something to consider.

ttam110

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2010
Returned my iPhone 6 Plus for an iPhone 6. Miss the battery life and bigger screen (got use to it), but when it was in my pocket it was just too big. It would fall out of my pockets when in class, etc.

TH55

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 5, 2011
Let me tell you what I did, OP.

I thought I wanted the 6+ in the week leading up to preorder. I let my husband talk me into going with the 6, because my hands are small and he thought I'd have a hard time managing it, never mind fitting it into my wee, girl pockets.

I got my 6 on launch day, and it was really nice, but felt so much bigger than my 5s... wow!

Still, it was manageable and I quickly realized that I really wanted a 6+. Soo... I traded my 6 for a 6+. And it felt HUGE.

It's gorgeous, though. This week, my inlaws were in town and we'd planned to hand off 2 of the kids' 5C devices (in flaweless condition with AppleCare+ for another full year) to them because they needed new phones and wanted to try some smartphones without spending a lot of money.

So, my son, who had been wishy washy about what he wanted, finally concluded he wanted a 6+ and we could not find one for him ANYWHERE.

My daughter was waiting for my son to give her my old 5s, because that was all she wanted.

I gave my 6+ to my son and bought another 6.

You know what? The 6 seems small to me now, and I'm looking for another 6+.

My husband just shakes his head at me. LOL. He's got a 6 and he's totally happy.

What the point of my rambling here was:

You get used to whatever you're using. It's amazing how fast the 5s started to feel TINY to me after using the 6 and the 6+, and even more incredible how the 6 feels small to me now after a week and a half of using a 6+.

Yes. You will get used to the 6 if you keep it. My advice? Pick up a 5s again and see if it feels like what you really want compared to that 6 before you take back the 6.

You may be surprised to find that the 5s seems too small.

Or, it may be that you really don't like that larger phone and you'll love the 5s. Still, just something to consider.

Yeah good point. I really want to keep it as its such a nice phone. I'm just worried about the off chance that I don't get used to it and I'm stuck with it.

bunnicula

macrumors 68040
Jul 23, 2008
Yeah good point. I really want to keep it as its such a nice phone. I'm just worried about the off chance that I don't get used to it and I'm stuck with it.

I recommended in your other thread that you try the 6 first. You will get used to it, I do think. I'm a chick with tiny hands and I got used to it easy. You can used it 1-handed if you need to (though I tend to use 2 hands anyway).

Both are great phones. They really are. :)

TH55

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 5, 2011
I recommended in your other thread that you try the 6 first. You will get used to it, I do think. I'm a chick with tiny hands and I got used to it easy. You can used it 1-handed if you need to (though I tend to use 2 hands anyway).

Both are great phones. They really are. :)

Thanks, yeah I really want to keep it. It's so nice otherwise. Love your username by the way, childhood memories.

bunnicula

macrumors 68040
Jul 23, 2008
Thanks, yeah I really want to keep it. It's so nice otherwise. Love your username by the way, childhood memories.

Heheheh... yeah. That's why I chose it. The name, that is.

And the phone, of course. :)

papashango9

macrumors member
Mar 9, 2013
If you can't find one before your 14 return/exchange period is up, return it and wait until one shows up.

If you do find it in stock somewhere (and you are returning your device_, lets say 3 hours away, any way to have it reserved or do you have to roll the dice and hope its still there?

davedvdy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2011

Actually, this was my exact experience with the 6 Plus as well, which is why I returned one. I have medium to large hands.

Did the pain go away after a while or adjustment period or did you not get enough time with it before giving it to your son?

Ramio

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2011
Houston, TeXas
If you do find it in stock somewhere (and you are returning your device_, lets say 3 hours away, any way to have it reserved or do you have to roll the dice and hope its still there?

Apple does not to do reserves. As far as I know, radio shack are the only ones who will reserve one for you up to 24 hours I think it over the phone. So yes, it could be gone by the time you get there if you go to apple. If you want one real bad and your time is running up, return it and when one shows up, get it and pick it up at the Apple Store. I would use www.idevicechecker.com and see if any radio shacks have one available. Call them and if they have one, put it on hold.

Sanlitun

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2014
Returned my 6+ after 13 days because of the muffled call quality problem, poor camera and poor video playback. They didn't have a replacement in stock so I had to get a refund, so I have not had an IPhone since the beginning of October.

I've been playing the istocknow reservation game since then with no luck and I gather I am losing patience and beginning to seriously consider other phones.

In general this whole product launch has been pretty bad as a consumer experience. The whole business with scalpers, reservations and shortages has left a bad taste with someone who genuinely wants to use an IPhone. I may be out of the IPhone game for a while.

Jersey Mac Man

macrumors newbie
Oct 18, 2014
I originally preordered got the 6 plus on launch day (coming from a 5s) used it for the first 14 days. At first I was amazed by the screen, battery life, and camera but decided to return it due to the fact that it was hard to use with one hand. I returned it and got an iPhone 6 128 gb. Almost immediately after purchasing I regretted my choice and missed the 6 plus. I used the iPhone 6 for about 5 days and ended up returning for a 6 plus again. I was extremely lucky to find a 6 plus at the Apple Store across the street from my house. After using the iPhone 6-coming from a 6 plus, it didn't feel like that much of an upgrade from the iPhone 5s. The screen seemed much smaller. I feel like you get more of an upgrade with the 6 plus with the better battery life, extra software tweaks (landscape view), extra screen real estate which is great for reading emails, typing, and viewing media content. It is an adjustment learning how to handle a bigger phone, you often have to adjust your grip...but it's so much easier typing on a bigger keyboard. So I am very happy now with the 6 plus...having the chance to use the 6 made me appreciate using the 6 plus that much more, however the 6 is still a great phone..great portable device.

bunnicula

macrumors 68040
Jul 23, 2008
Actually, this was my exact experience with the 6 Plus as well, which is why I returned one. I have medium to large hands.

Did the pain go away after a while or adjustment period or did you not get enough time with it before giving it to your son?

It went away once I gave him the phone. That was just about 5 days ago, but I wound up buying another 6+ yesterday, so I'll just have to experiment with ways to prevent it bothering my wrists.

I think it's just a matter of figuring out how best to hold it. My 4S with a Mophie case was heavier. The 6+ is just larger, so the weight distribution is different.

----------

I originally preordered got the 6 plus on launch day (coming from a 5s) used it for the first 14 days. At first I was amazed by the screen, battery life, and camera but decided to return it due to the fact that it was hard to use with one hand. I returned it and got an iPhone 6 128 gb. Almost immediately after purchasing I regretted my choice and missed the 6 plus. I used the iPhone 6 for about 5 days and ended up returning for a 6 plus again. I was extremely lucky to find a 6 plus at the Apple Store across the street from my house. After using the iPhone 6-coming from a 6 plus, it didn't feel like that much of an upgrade from the iPhone 5s. The screen seemed much smaller. I feel like you get more of an upgrade with the 6 plus with the better battery life, extra software tweaks (landscape view), extra screen real estate which is great for reading emails, typing, and viewing media content. It is an adjustment learning how to handle a bigger phone, you often have to adjust your grip...but it's so much easier typing on a bigger keyboard. So I am very happy now with the 6 plus...having the chance to use the 6 made me appreciate using the 6 plus that much more, however the 6 is still a great phone..great portable device.

That's exactly it. Using the 6+ made me feel like the 6 wasn't much different than my old 5s. So, back to the 6+ I went. I just like it better.

----------

If you find it in stock with istocknow, that's just the stock for online personal pickup. The stores have a different stock for walk-in purchases. I'd just buy it for whatever price via online pickup, then get to the store, explain the return, and have them process the sale the way you want. They are already standing there, holding your phone. They'll do the exchange.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.