Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gjm87

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 17, 2014
I am a huge flight sim fan, and I just bought a new macbook 15inch and I want to get x-plane for it. I know I have to get an external hard drive and the usb key if I don't want to use the discs to authorize my game play.

My question, before I invest in the game and joystick to go with it, I read some reviews that it takes hours to set up the joystick and keyboard commands. Is this true? How has everyone's experiences been with getting going right out of the box with this game?

Any insight would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Greg

PracticalMac

macrumors 68030
Jan 22, 2009
Houston, TX
Since there is no other option, just get X-Plane.

I guess the closest runner up is WW2 Online and WarThunder, or perhaps Google Earth.

Simple airplanes (Cessna 172) will be quick to set up, more complex will take a while (747)

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
Install the game may take very long time. However, setup the joystick is not hard at all. I only have a xbox joystick (AV8R-02), it cost me less than 5 min to setup and then I can enjoy flying the C172, F22, A330 with no problems at all.

For some more advance joystick, and if you want to optimise everything. It may cost you more time to do it. However, it's not a requirement before you can start playing the game.

jlc1978

macrumors 603
Aug 14, 2009
I am a huge flight sim fan, and I just bought a new macbook 15inch and I want to get x-plane for it. I know I have to get an external hard drive and the usb key if I don't want to use the discs to authorize my game play.

My question, before I invest in the game and joystick to go with it, I read some reviews that it takes hours to set up the joystick and keyboard commands. Is this true? How has everyone's experiences been with getting going right out of the box with this game?

Any insight would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Greg

Check out FlightGear and YSFlight as well as X-Plane.

SVTmaniac

macrumors 6502
Jan 30, 2013
As others have said, the joystick setup is not very hard. I have a triple monitor setup with Track IR system and Saitek X52-Pro flight controls and it didn't take very long at all to get it all set up.

jdavtz

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2005
Kenya
Instead of buying a USB key you can make a disk image of the DVD (I think it's the first one) and just mount that before loading the sim.

dcaccount

macrumors 6502
Nov 17, 2013
Instead of buying a USB key you can make a disk image of the DVD (I think it's the first one) and just mount that before loading the sim.

Hello,

can you please advise how to make an disk image and how to mount it with OSX?

Thanks,
daniele

in2tech

macrumors regular
Aug 23, 2012

I would also like to know how to make a mountable disk image using Disk Utility that comes with the Mac OS X? I own X-Plane 10 but hate having to hook up the Apple Super Dive to use the program and want to mount the game from a disk image but have never done this before. This is one of the reason's I still use MS Flight Simulator because it doesn't require a stupid disk when I want to fly, but I do have to boot into Windows and would like to try and stay in the Mac OS X!

It's disk one right?

Figured out how to do this and it was really easy. Just put X-Plane DVD #1 in Apple Superdrive and launched Disk Utility and choose create New Image and it made a disk image of DVD 1. I then right clicked the image and mounted it, and then run the game.

No problem, except I do not really have the hardware for X-Plane 10 (MacBook Air 2012) and it crashes a lot! Looks like it back to MS Flight Simulator in Boot Camp!

Thanks!

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.