Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KDNYC

macrumors member
Dec 4, 2010
I don't pay cable for my 50Mbps connection, either. They are dinosaurs, and like misogynists and General Motors, they need a comeuppance. The biggest mistake in this industry was letting cable companies buy networks and studios.

Agreed. And Netflix spanked them by bypassing the behemoth cable ecosystem with shows like House of Cards. HBO is really competing with Netflix with this offering. Viewers want quality content and viewing options, but they don't want to pay stratosphere prices.

However, we are still dealing with mini-ecosystems. Add the possibility of segmenting or tiered internet pricing, and cost effectiveness starts slipping away.

Streaming will replace cable, but in the end it may cost just as much.

McGiord

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2003
Dark Castle
Agreed. And Netflix spanked them by bypassing the behemoth cable ecosystem with shows like House of Cards. HBO is really competing with Netflix with this offering. Viewers want quality content and viewing options, but they don't want to pay stratosphere prices.

However, we are still dealing with mini-ecosystems. Add the possibility of segmenting or tiered internet pricing, and cost effectiveness starts slipping away.

Streaming will replace cable, but in the end it may cost just as much.
Only when value is worth the price it would make sense. Currently cable value is subpar with its cost.

jw2002

macrumors 6502
Feb 23, 2008
You said 2002, which is exactly what I mean. That is now an over decade old model. I don't have the numbers in front of me, but I believe articles in the past have mentioned declining music sales, declining iTunes sales, while streaming services have gone way way up. And is partly why Apple wanted Beats.

Look at Apple's most recent earnings. Their revenue stream from iTunes is GIGANTIC. There is no sign that that 2002 business model is failing -- unlike the 1980's era business model that the cable companies still employ.

RobNYC

macrumors 6502a
May 28, 2008
New York, NY
Hard to know, but I do know that many take cable just to get the in-market sports coverage they want to watch. They have no choice, given the lack of alternatives. Until now, they had a similar lack of choice for HBO programming. This was the only premium station we ever added to our cable package (now we have none). Anyway, my only point here is that I'd wait for the details on what programming HBO is actually offering and for how much before declaring this to be the beginning of the end of channel bundling.

I completely agree. This isn't the end of channel bundling but it should be interesting to see what happens when they do this.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.