Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bobster89

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 11, 2011
Hi guys,

My other half has just bought a macbook air and i was thinking of getting her a 64GB sd card for it as well.

Now I've seen on amazon that you can get micro sd card adapters that fit in flush to the macbook (normal SD cards poke out slightly).

Now my question is, is there any advantage over the other in terms of a normal SD card VS micro sd card with an adapter? Would there be any performance differences or reliability issues? I don't want to buy one for it then to break a year later!

Thanks for you help guys.

Yakibomb

macrumors 6502
May 13, 2014
Cape Town
Hi guys,

My other half has just bought a macbook air and i was thinking of getting her a 64GB sd card for it as well.

Now I've seen on amazon that you can get micro sd card adapters that fit in flush to the macbook (normal SD cards poke out slightly).

Now my question is, is there any advantage over the other in terms of a normal SD card VS micro sd card with an adapter? Would there be any performance differences or reliability issues? I don't want to buy one for it then to break a year later!

Thanks for you help guys.

I would definitely recommend one that fits flush with the laptop. I had an adapter for my microSD card that poked out a bit (like normal SD cards) which I loved at first, the only problem was moving my laptop around. I'd have to remember to unplug it when I packed my laptop into my bag as I broke an adapter in my bag once. For me it wasn't a massive train smash as the microSD was fine, but the potential data loss ( and money wasted) could be high

Bobster89

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 11, 2011
Thanks for the reply buddy.

I don't mind if the SD card pokes out slightly, I'm just wondering if there would be a performance difference between a normal SD card (that pokes out) compared to one of those flush micro sd card adapters on amazon? Would a normal SD card be more reliable (less likely to break) than the MicroSD card in the adapter?

If there isn't any difference between performance and reliability then I'll go for the flush MicroSD card adapter, but I'm just wondering if the MicroSD card has to go through an adapter to get to the mac, would that cause performance issues or a higher chance of it breaking?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.