Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NutFlush920

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
Up until yesterday I have been using Google Drive for all my storage needs across my devices and have been backing up the folder using CrashPlan's free option to a HDD offsite at a friends house. All has been working wonderfully.

Now that I have Yosemite, I can't seem to figure out where the iCloud Drive folder/data is located on my local drive to select it for daily backup. In fact, I can't even take the iCloud Drive and drag it to my Doc or desktop for easier access. Doesn't make much sense it is only accessible from the sidebar of Finder.

I was under the impression iCloud Drive functioned just like Google Drive and Dropbox. Am I doing something wrong or did I just misunderstand? I just upgraded both my wife and I to the 20GB plan each in hopes of ditching Google and Dropbox for good. What if I delete something on iCloud Drive or made an unwanted change... is there a way to get the file back or restored?

Thanks

Last edited:

NutFlush920

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
I found this useful info. Once you know where the iCloud Drive is on the local drive, its very easy to create a dock icon or restore files on Crashplan.

The Backup of my personal docs are in the hidden folder Macintosh HD>Users>Your Folder>Library>Mobile Documents>com~apple~CloudDocs

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/6605847

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.