Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

OneMike

macrumors 603
Oct 19, 2005
I refuse to use a screen protector. Didn't on my 5S, have not been using one on my 6+.

I don't get the point. If I were a construction worker or something I could see it, but in day to day usage I've yet to scratch either.

ipodlover77

macrumors 65816
Jan 17, 2009
I refuse to use a screen protector. Didn't on my 5S, have not been using one on my 6+.

I don't get the point. If I were a construction worker or something I could see it, but in day to day usage I've yet to scratch either.

Agreed. The only time I actually got scratches on my screen was when I dropped it and it slid a bit on my hardwood. Daily use, I never seen a scratch come out of "no where"

foreplay

macrumors member
Nov 20, 2012
lol at all the non case users hanging around a forum with 250k+ posts on phone cases

The harsh truth is, there are many that believed so strongly that apple wanted us to use our phones naked that are having a hard time accepting they were flat out wrong. Similar to the no phablet people after Jobs comment. This thread is an example of how stubborn people can be about admitting they were wrong.

Apple appeals to many not because of vanity...
but because of functionality + dependability

It is natural to expect those types of people would be interested in relatively cheap product that can assure their $900 investment will be functional and dependable throughout their ownership. Suggesting people are brainwashed for purchasing a product like that is feigning ignorance and/or pushing vanity upon others.

ipodlover77

macrumors 65816
Jan 17, 2009
lol at all the non case users hanging around a forum with 250k+ posts on phone cases

The harsh truth is, there are many that believed so strongly that apple wanted us to use our phones naked that are having a hard time accepting they were flat out wrong. Similar to the no phablet people after Jobs comment. This thread is an example of how stubborn people can be about admitting they were wrong.

Apple appeals to many not because of vanity...
but because of functionality + dependability

It is natural to expect those types of people would be interested in relatively cheap product that can assure their $900 investment will be functional and dependable throughout their ownership. Suggesting people are brainwashed for purchasing a product like that is feigning ignorance and/or pushing vanity upon others.

I don't know.. I think what you're doing is almost the same as the case people trying to convince others that cases are unnecessary. I mean, you have no idea how Apple intends us to use the phone. So unless you have a close connection with the designers of the phone, then its a bit reaching to say that apple wanted us to use their phones with a case. Your term of "flat out wrong" seems a bit excessive.

I have no issues with cases. I think they serve a good purposes. I just had issues with that fact that you assume that its explicitly written that Apple wants us to use cases.

MacTCE

macrumors 6502
Dec 20, 2013
Raleigh NC
I hate paying all his money to have a beautiful phone (ip6) only to shove it in a plastic bulky case that makes it just look ugly and fill up my pocket!
anyone else?
i kept my ip4 without a case for 2 years and was fine, my ip5 seemed to break real easy at any drop and that's put me off carrying the 6 without a case.
just feels so much nicer without but i am scared to death to have it out in the open where i could drop and damage it!

also screen protectors, are they really needed? are these screens likely to scratch as i doubt they stop them cracking when dropped?
should really come with a proper protector pre-installed on the phones (no bubbles or dust!)
rant over

What about going with a clear skin? I'm doing that with my 6 with AppleCare+ just incase I drop and crack anything.

foreplay

macrumors member
Nov 20, 2012
I don't know.. I think what you're doing is almost the same as the case people trying to convince others that cases are unnecessary. I mean, you have no idea how Apple intends us to use the phone. So unless you have a close connection with the designers of the phone, then its a bit reaching to say that apple wanted us to use their phones with a case. Your term of "flat out wrong" seems a bit excessive.

I have no issues with cases. I think they serve a good purposes. I just had issues with that fact that you assume that its explicitly written that Apple wants us to use cases.

Something like 90% or more of iphone users go with a case. Apple knew those numbers AND designed the 6 with the camera bulge and antenna.

You are telling me that was just a coincidence?

I'm sure apple has no problem with people going naked. Thats not what my point was. My point was the people that said for years that apple intends for us to go naked were flat out wrong.

ipodlover77

macrumors 65816
Jan 17, 2009
Something like 90% or more of iphone users go with a case. Apple knew those numbers AND designed the 6 with the camera bulge and antenna.

You are telling me that was just a coincidence?

I'm sure apple has no problem with people going naked. Thats not what my point was. My point was the people that said for years that apple intends for us to go naked were flat out wrong.

If we use your hypothetical numbers, all 90% means is that the case MARKET can result in good profits. Think about it, even IF Apple hated cases, wouldn't they rather make profits from cases then seeing it go to another company? Apple touted design for a reason. They wouldn't spend a good portion of the keynote talking about hours and hours that went into a design if they wants to cap off the presentation with "but we want you to use a case."

They offer a case for the people that want protection. That does not mean the iphone and buying a case go hand in hand.

foreplay

macrumors member
Nov 20, 2012
If we use your hypothetical numbers, all 90% means is that the case MARKET can result in good profits. Think about it, even IF Apple hated cases, wouldn't they rather make profits from cases then seeing it go to another company? Apple touted design for a reason. They wouldn't spend a good portion of the keynote talking about hours and hours that went into a design if they wants to cap off the presentation with "but we want you to use a case."

They offer a case for the people that want protection. That does not mean the iphone and buying a case go hand in hand.

Did you just not read my post?

"I'm sure apple has no problem with people going naked"

Heck, they probably prefer people go naked.
$ for Applecare/replacement > $ in cases in most instances and it all stays in house

It is obvious to me Apple realizes that a part of the appeal/buying process to phones IS the individuality of cases and they designed the 6 in part for that, because clearly ignoring 90% of your customer base is foolish.

You could make the case that the only people that are "apple brainwashed for profits" are people that believe in going naked.

mightyjabba

macrumors 68000
Sep 25, 2014
Tatooine
My decision to not use a case has nothing to do with what I think Apple intended -- I just don't like them. But the idea that they built a protruding camera assuming that everyone would have a case seems laughable. They chose sapphire glass for the lens for a reason. It's not going to scratch from just casually placing your phone on tables, etc.

bakron1

macrumors member
Mar 23, 2010
I bought the Apple leather case for my iPhone 6 and I like the thin profile and it makes it easier for me to grip the phone and offers good protection from scratches.

benrd

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 11, 2008
something like this could be good for some of us

625x465_2673914_6669270_1411287452.jpg

TechnicallyTee

macrumors 68020
May 14, 2013
Atlanta
I bought the Apple leather case for my iPhone 6 and I like the thin profile and it makes it easier for me to grip the phone and offers good protection from scratches.

Same here, went out and got the Apple Silicone case and its the perfect protection. Its funny when people says its bulky with a thin case on it. To each is own though. I like my devices to be in perfect condition when its time to sell it when the new one drops next year. Screen protectors..meh...I had a 6 before this Plus and I developed two fine scratches on the screen and I have an office job so I dont know how that happened.

I just like the thin cases, nothing bulky that would protect me against slight dings and scratches. I know im not the only one but I am super noid when i sit my phone naked on the countertop or something!

rGiskard

macrumors 68000
Aug 9, 2012

My 4S screen has gone commando for years and all it has are three fine scratches. Those scratches are due to a certain rescue puppy who hadn't yet learned to keep her paws off my desk (my dog has the run of the house except around my Macs. She's a Vizsla so NO, my Mac's fans are not full of dog hair, lol!). Sand is about the only common household substance that will scratch Gorilla Glass, so I can understand a screen protector for someone in construction or gardening or the like.

I hand my 4S to people who use screen protectors and ask them to count the scratches, and most of them cannot find any.

----------

something like this could be good for some of us

Maybe if everyone sent one of these to Jony Ive, he would change?

Meltdownblitz

macrumors 65816
Jan 21, 2010
I too hate cases, didn't use one on my iPhone 4 or 5, for my 6 plus it scared me for a minute seeing all these dropped phones popping up on these forums so I purchase a few cases and they didn't even last a few days.

Apple says this is the thinnest iPhone they have ever made. Sad thing is more then half the people who purchase it will never be able to experience it! They buy a "beautiful" phone then stuff it into a huge case and probably forget what color they bought. For me it's more about enjoying the "experience" which apple seems like they intend for their customers to do. Not to mention I really like to take advantage of what the phone really has to offer and that goes mainly with accessories. I REALLY like to dock my phone - doesn't work with a case, I like to put my phone in an armband at the gym - which also doesn't work while in a case (not sure about my 6 plus though since it's already a giant beast), I like to use a waterproof case only on occasion which also doesn't work in a case. With my 5 I liked to slip on my external battery pack when my phone battery got low because we all know the 5 battery was awesome - not, and every time I took that case off I told myself so thats why I don't use this case all the time... The only time I use a case is when I'm going for a good night out where alcohol will very well be involved :)

I'm not intending to persuade anyone not to not use a case. Some people use it as a phone then plug it in with a normal plug at night and that's it and that's them, who am I to judge. Just my feelings on this topic.

Get Apple care and a nice clear skin that's grippy with glass screen protector and that's the way to go IMO.

Iceage

macrumors 6502
Apr 17, 2010
I use it with a Best Skins Ever, to prevent scratches and getting a better grip. Love it!

mightyjabba

macrumors 68000
Sep 25, 2014
Tatooine
I actually bought one of the Apple silicone cases when I bought my Plus, mostly because of all of the reading I had done about how slick the phone is, how big and hard to handle (and of course the bending hoopla). I've tried it a few times, but always end up taking it off. I don't like the way it makes the phone feel, but more than that it somehow makes the phone feel considerably larger and heavier to me. Funny, since it's really not heavy or bulky at all (especially compared to some!), but it seems to make the difference between me liking the phone and not liking it. Earlier today I realized that every time I have the case on the phone I start to second guess whether I even want the Plus, so I don't think I'll be using it anymore. It's just not for me.

ssl0408

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2013
New York
I had the Apple leather case for the 5S and after about a month I removed it. I dropped the phone many times on hardwood and it only had one ding on it. I think I will add a screen protector for the 6 because I'm reading that it easily scratches, and I'm debating on whether I want a Joli Originals or Sena Heritage UltraSlim pouch.

oops1975

macrumors 6502a
Jun 22, 2010
Frisco, TX
I have had all iPhones and never used a case. Not that I did not buy some cases and tried them but eventually, I ended up going naked after few days. I just got insignia case from BB for my 6+ and so far it's ok(It's one of the cheapest one out there). It's quite clear so the looks wise it's not an issue. but it seems tad little bulky because the power and volume buttons are not cut-outs.
I always got Applecare+ so case is not really needed. I think someone has to make a case which I have to buy but till then, it's going to be buy couple cases, try them and eventually go naked. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.