Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

docprego

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 12, 2007
Henderson, NV
I was really disappointed with the refresh yesterday. Today I decided to see what if any discounts were being offered on the previous models. I found the i7 2.3ghz server model on a local stores web site for $499, I immediately bought it. 5 minutes later I got an email apogizing that it wasn't wasn't available, not really surprised. But I decided to call and ask. By some miracle they had one brand new unit in stock and held it all day for me. When I got to the store they told me it was a price mistake, it should have been $899. They honored the price of $499!

Thank you Apple for making me seek the previous generation models this morning. Without your embarrassing "update" I would never have stumbled onto this treasure.

BiteDisAppleD

macrumors newbie
Oct 10, 2014
I was really disappointed with the refresh yesterday. Today I decided to see what if any discounts were being offered on the previous models. I found the i7 2.3ghz server model on a local stores web site for $499, I immediately bought it. 5 minutes later I got an email apogizing that it wasn't wasn't available, not really surprised. But I decided to call and ask. By some miracle they had one brand new unit in stock and held it all day for me. When I got to the store they told me it was a price mistake, it should have been $899. They honored the price of $499!

Thank you Apple for making me seek the previous generation models this morning. Without your embarrassing "update" I would never have stumbled onto this treasure.

So you got the server for 499? Wow my frys said it was 899 wouldn't even budge

docprego

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 12, 2007
Henderson, NV
Yes! They told me it was $899 but since I placed my order online at $499 they honored it. I must have ordered in a tiny window before they realized. Kudos to them for honoring it with no questions asked.

loud0g40oz

macrumors member
Jun 20, 2012
Nice. I saw the same thing and ordered one early this morning. Picked up around 430pm, and no one said a word. I was expecting them to come back and say it was a mistake and cancelled.

docprego

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 12, 2007
Henderson, NV
Nice. I saw the same thing and ordered one early this morning. Picked up around 430pm, and no one said a word. I was expecting them to come back and say it was a mistake and cancelled.

It was most definitely a mistake. If you check their site now it's at $899. We got REALLY lucky.

loud0g40oz

macrumors member
Jun 20, 2012
It was most definitely a mistake. If you check their site now it's at $899. We got REALLY lucky.

The site was actually at 899 before I left work to pick mine. up. I was 90% sure it would be cancelled. I'm pretty happy I don't have to buy a refurb or used one on Craigslist.

When I get back in town on Sunday I'll be putting my ssd and 16gb ram upgrade in. Then I'm good to go for a while. Congrats to us both on the good luck.

docprego

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 12, 2007
Henderson, NV
The site was actually at 899 before I left work to pick mine. up. I was 90% sure it would be cancelled. I'm pretty happy I don't have to buy a refurb or used one on Craigslist.

When I get back in town on Sunday I'll be putting my ssd and 16gb ram upgrade in. Then I'm good to go for a while. Congrats to us both on the good luck.

I'm going the same route. Is it just as simple as removing one of the drives, hooking up the SSD and using Internet recovery to install Yosemite?

Does it matter which drive is removed?

I was also wondering about keeping the 2 HD's in the machine and configuring them as RAID0. Any thoughts on that?

xbpr

macrumors member
Dec 8, 2008
I lucked out and got one too. Ordered this morning and picked it up after work.

loud0g40oz

macrumors member
Jun 20, 2012
I'm going the same route. Is it just as simple as removing one of the drives, hooking up the SSD and using Internet recovery to install Yosemite?

Does it matter which drive is removed?

I was also wondering about keeping the 2 HD's in the machine and configuring them as RAID0. Any thoughts on that?

On my mbp I made a Mavericks usb boot drive and did a clean install first when I did the ssd. Not sure yet on the drives. My mini is sitting on my desk still sealed until I get back on Sunday.

----------

I lucked out and got one too. Ordered this morning and picked it up after work.

Nice. Congrats!

kazmac

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2010
Any place but here or there....

That's awesome. Enjoy your Mini. :)

trimiton

macrumors newbie
Dec 22, 2013

I don't get it. Why did it happen to be a mistake? Did they bulk-updated all the macs to be 499$ base? Or? Weren't they more before?

Also, how comes 3 persons each got lucked out? :D

loud0g40oz

macrumors member
Jun 20, 2012
I don't get it. Why did it happen to be a mistake? Did they bulk-updated all the macs to be 499$ base? Or? Weren't they more before?

No, only the one model was changed. I thought it was weird, but with things like that I've learned to buy now, worry about it later. You can always return it if it's not what you thought. This time it worked out in our favor.

docprego

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 12, 2007
Henderson, NV

It was a price mistake published on a rather large electronic retailer's web site. It must have been live for a few hours before they realized. In my case they honored the price because I ordered it online at the $499 price. Mostly my lucking out was calling and getting an employee that found one in stock for me even after I received an email apologizing that it wasn't in stock. Looking back now I think that the email was sent because they realized there was a huge price mistake, not because it wasn't in stock. In the end they honored the price I bought it for and held the last one for me all day. I still can't believe it all worked out.

Congrats to the others that got in on this stellar deal!

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.