Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

whirldy

macrumors 6502
Dec 20, 2011
Within
Aside from a screen protector, what's the best way to get hairline scratches out of the screen? :eek:

Thank you! :cool:

bushman4

macrumors 601
Mar 22, 2011
More chance of doing damage to the Oleophobic coating by using things to fix the scratches. Put a screen protector on and you won't even see the scratches most of the time

techiebug

macrumors 6502a
Oct 20, 2013
I found the aluminum back is actually pretty hard to get scratched. The glass, however, will get scratched eventually. People say they don't have scratches because they don't see it. I opened 3 iphone 6 plus and all of them had micro scratches that can be seen under direct light. I feel like the workers had to rush producing these. That's why

Alias

macrumors member
Feb 3, 2008
Just got my iPhone 6 plus last week and noticed 2 hair line scratches on it today. I assume Apple won't replace it for that reason, correct?

I have an appointment on Wed for the home button making a loud sound when pressed so we'll see what happens with that...but I think I should order a screen protector...

jldesutter83

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2013
Illinois
I must've been given a sapphire screen. A month later not a scratch.

That's what I'm saying! I have a glass screen protector on now and nothing in it. I used my 5s for about 6 months without a screen protector and I inspected it under different lighting and never had a scratch.

Do those of you with scratching live near beaches? Maybe with wind, a tiny sand particle could blow onto your screen or your fingers for that matter could scratch it.

Hec983

macrumors member
Nov 25, 2012
Just got my iPhone 6 plus last week and noticed 2 hair line scratches on it today. I assume Apple won't replace it for that reason, correct?

I have an appointment on Wed for the home button making a loud sound when pressed so we'll see what happens with that...but I think I should order a screen protector...

If you are within your 14 days it shouldnt be no problem getting a brand new unit,

Rayy42

macrumors 6502
Oct 7, 2014
My iPhone 6 is scratching a hell of a lot faster than my iPhone 5 though. It's slightly disappointing to be honest.

Donoban

macrumors 65816
Sep 7, 2013

Buddy, people complained about the iPhone 5s having a loud home button., It might soften after 10,000 or so clicks.

My opinion, if your screen is tip top then I would not risk exchanging it over a loud home button click.

Good luck.

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
If you mean microscratches on the screen that are visible only under certain lights and angles, they're oleophobic coating scratches and are normal with use.

But the OP says this scratch can be felt with their finger nail!

That is not a microscratch.:rolleyes:

----------

Aside from a screen protector, what's the best way to get hairline scratches out of the screen? :eek:

Thank you! :cool:

Only use a microfiber cloth to clean.

Grit or sand is the worst enemy and found in many pockets!

GrecoISU

macrumors member
Apr 2, 2011
If you mean microscratches on the screen that are visible only under certain lights and angles, they're oleophobic coating scratches and are normal with use.

Those drive me nuts to the point that I use a screen protector... That and I want to make sure it stays nice so I can sell it when I'm upgrading.

Timmeh8604

macrumors member
Oct 21, 2014
My 6 plus got a four inch scratch that cut the glass in the first week I had it. It had a case with a lip, and was never laid on its face and I always clean out my pockets for this very reason. Got a screen protector and thankfully I can't see it now. But it was deep enough to feel with your finger nail. I almost cried since it's a 128GB plus. Going to get a zag glass protector soon.

Bahroo

macrumors 68000
Jul 21, 2012
I don't know about OP but I do have some on my screen. Regular iPhone 6, been kept in the Apple leather case and no instances I can recall that would have subjected it to these scratches - just in and out of my pocket.. Might even be the coating scratching as opposed to the glass, but frustrating none the less.

Putting your phone in your pocket/backpack/bag/purse/etc always has sand/grit somewhere in there; which will scratch the screen, it is essentially impossible to avoid unless you have a screen protector

With that being said, it most likely could also just be the olephobic coating that is scratched a little(sits on top of the glass to resist fingerprints/smudges)

----------

I would then assume Gorilla Glass 3 is better than what's on my 4S. My 4S has always been without a case and looks hairline scratch-free. Interesting with all these issues. I'll still get a 6/6+, but it's obvious Apple skimmed on quality.

They are using no different type of glass on the new iPhones, either you most likely do have hairline scratches on your 4S and just havent looked, or that your olephobic coating has been gone and used up; and the glass is obviously stronger then the coating(olephobic coating last for at least 6 months, so its been less then that since the new iPhones launched in September )

Matthiphone

macrumors newbie
Nov 26, 2014
Collecting data of scratched phones

In the Apple Support Communities there is a thread where we are collecting data of user with scratched iPhone 6 / iPhone 6 plus.

You'll find the post here: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/6555765?tstart=0

Until now 54 entries are collected in a google-docs form - you can find an overview about the results here: Overview

Collecting Data about scratched iPhone in a Google-Docs Formular

Here is the form were you can enter your data: Formular
To find out the data for your phone use this link: check phone

Last edited:

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
In the Apple Support Communities there is a thread where we are collecting data of user with scratched iPhone 6 / iPhone 6 plus.

You'll find the post here: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/6555765?tstart=0

Until now 54 entries are collected in a google-docs form - you can find an overview about the results here: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/16BCZkB48si0MkYvP-XLlF2H8SHed6v6kAqjQBz44xrU/vie wanalytics

Collecting Data about scratched iPhone in a Google-Docs Formular

Here is the form were you can enter your data: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/16BCZkB48si0MkYvP-XLlF2H8SHed6v6kAqjQBz44xrU/vie wform?c=0&w=1&usp=mail_form_link
To find out the data for your phone use this link: http://www.chipmunk.nl/klantenservice/applemodel.html

Google? They compete with Apple. But then they would no more lie than our government!:p

parajba

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2008
olephobic coating last for at least 6 months, so its been less then that since the new iPhones launched in September )

Really? Can I reapply the olephobic coating after 6 months to my IP6? Is this an official thing to do to an iPhone? Thanks for your help (I didn't know it!).

AppleFanatic10

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2010
Hawthorne, CA
I have a few scratches on my screen. Noticed it today. I don't have actual keys so I'm not sure how they got there. I have a few big ones on my screen near the keyboard. Hopefully they won't bother me too much.

Bahroo

macrumors 68000
Jul 21, 2012
Really? Can I reapply the olephobic coating after 6 months to my IP6? Is this an official thing to do to an iPhone? Thanks for your help (I didn't know it!).

no, Apple puts it on all brand new iPhones in the factory, and once it wears out it wears out and is gone forever, (which is why you may notice that the iPhone screen loses sheen and like shinyness and glossyness in a way) after a few months, its because the coating has faded

PacificBeach

macrumors regular
Aug 20, 2011
I dont think apple used gorilla glass 3 this time around. After the sapphire deal tanked, they probably used some cheap glass they could get quickly..............

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.