Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

munakib

macrumors 6502a
May 22, 2011
Stick with the iPhone 5. 5S/6 is not the upgrade for you. 6S or even the 6Plus S should be a really good upgrade for you. 5S/6 does not offer anything extraordernary different than your 5 while running iOS8. Unless you want to get the 6 Plus, but I have the Plus I feel it is undercooked - not enough ummph inside thus my recommendation for the 6+S.

FYI. I upgraded from the 5 to the 6+

abz1981

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 3, 2011
I'm now where you are. My 5c may be getting retired soon and I'm in a quandary...

So how do you like the 6?

I really love the 6. It took me a day to get used to it. I can pretty much still use it with one hand. However sometimes I do use reach ability feature. Which is pretty cool to use.

It's much faster for me coming from an iPhone 5. And LTE speed is amazing I end up using LTE instead of my wifi as it's much faster than my home wifi.

Camera is amazing. For the first week I had it naked though but I decided to get a red apple leather case for it. I think the red case goes well with the iPhone.

Oh and gosh I love Touch ID too it's so simple and easy to use. Just love everything about this iPhone. I have apple care plus. So will be keeping this baby for as long as I can.

----------

Just purchase the iPhone 6 and upgrade again in 2016.(iPhone 7)

Hehe yeah may do that. Right now iPhone 6 meets all my needs. The 7 has to be amazingly cooler for me to upgrade. But right now loving this iPhone. I am just surprised how much lighter it is than the iPhone 5.

Tyler23

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2010
Atlanta, GA
I really love the 6. It took me a day to get used to it. I can pretty much still use it with one hand. However sometimes I do use reach ability feature. Which is pretty cool to use.

It's much faster for me coming from an iPhone 5. And LTE speed is amazing I end up using LTE instead of my wifi as it's much faster than my home wifi.

Camera is amazing. For the first week I had it naked though but I decided to get a red apple leather case for it. I think the red case goes well with the iPhone.

Oh and gosh I love Touch ID too it's so simple and easy to use. Just love everything about this iPhone. I have apple care plus. So will be keeping this baby for as long as I can.

----------

Hehe yeah may do that. Right now iPhone 6 meets all my needs. The 7 has to be amazingly cooler for me to upgrade. But right now loving this iPhone. I am just surprised how much lighter it is than the iPhone 5.

The iPhone 6 is 17 grams heavier than the iPhone 5..

Septembersrain

Cancelled
Dec 14, 2013
Really? It sure don't feel that way to me. iPhone 6 feels lighter.

Probably because it's bigger so you'd expect it to feel noticeably heavier. That was my conclusion too after oddly wondering why it was so light. Being used to the 5c, it's no wonder right? Haha.

dfhsfh

macrumors newbie
Oct 18, 2014
Buy the 6. If you do not like it sell it and go back to your 5. If you find a cheap 5S and really want it, go for it but the upgrade isn't a big step.
36.gif

JonMPLS

macrumors 68000
May 23, 2010
MN
I have the 5S, but plan on upgrading to the 6 when (if) Apple stores get some ATT stock. I have been out looking at them a lot, and really like the 6. For me, it is just about the upper limit size, which is just about perfect for 1 or 2 hands. Really like the new design.

abz1981

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 3, 2011
Probably because it's bigger so you'd expect it to feel noticeably heavier. That was my conclusion too after oddly wondering why it was so light. Being used to the 5c, it's no wonder right? Haha.

Lol your probably right.

----------

I have the 5S, but plan on upgrading to the 6 when (if) Apple stores get some ATT stock. I have been out looking at them a lot, and really like the 6. For me, it is just about the upper limit size, which is just about perfect for 1 or 2 hands. Really like the new design.

Trust me you will get used to it in a day. #

----------

Buy the 6. If you do not like it sell it and go back to your 5. If you find a cheap 5S and really want it, go for it but the upgrade isn't a big step.Image

I bought the 6.

Retired Cat

macrumors 65816
Jun 12, 2013
Torn between iPhone 5s or iPhone 6

Looking at Apple's iPhone comparison web page, the major differences between 6 and 5S are:

1) Display. iPhone 6 has a vast advantage in resolution, contrast, and viewing angles compared to 5S.

2) NFC/Apple Pay. Exclusive to 6/6+

3) VoLTE

The 6 has other advantages too, but these are more incremental than obvious. For example: A8 is faster than A7, but the jump isn't like A6 to A7.

The 5S has a 64-bit processor, 1GB RAM, sensor co-processor, and TouchID. This may give it iOS update longevity similar to the 6. I'd argue that the 5S 32GB is actually a compelling value at $599 unlocked, given that it has most of the 6's capability and more flash storage than the base 6. A person who also owns a 5 can re-use some cases and accessories with the 5S, which saves $.

For the budget minded iPhone buyer, the iPhone 5S may be the best choice. The 6's screen is so darn nice though :-D

jetlagged

macrumors 6502
Sep 6, 2012
i'm also in the same situation. i have an iphone 5 which I bought 2 years ago outright in order to keep unlimited data plan.

i'm considering getting an iphone 6, but the iphone 6 seems like its the gimped out version of the iphone 6 plus (just my opinion) iphone 6=iphone 5c, iphone 6 plus = iphone 5s.

that's what's holding me back. i feel like apple held back. if i were to get a new iphone, i'd consider getting the iphone 6s instead.

personally, I think i should stick with my iphone 5 for the time being and leap towards the 6s when it comes out. I've never owned an iphone "S" before. but it seems like the S version of the iphone tends to be the better one.

the only way I would buy the iphone 6 at this time is if my work will offer me to pick up 3 extra shifts of overtime, which i doubt is going to happen since we have been slow for the last year.

Daniel3102

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2014
OP, the 5s and 6 are pretty much the SAME on the inside. I think becuase of that fact, simply get the one you like better. I have a 5s and I LOVE it!! I don't think you could go wrong with any of them.

It comes down to design and screen size. The 5s has a 4 inch screen and the 6 has a 4.7. The 5s has chamferred edges and glass inlays on the back. The the 6 has a metal back with (IMO hideous) lines.

Good luck :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.