Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tilpots

macrumors 601
Original poster
Apr 19, 2006
Carolina Beach, NC
I'm thinking about leasing a Leaf. The deals on it right now are just too good to pass up. For less money than I currently pay in gas a month for my 97 Lexus LX450, I can lease a 2015 Leaf S with Quick Charger. I'm having 'Range Anxiety' but I know that my daily commute would be well under the advertised 84 mile range.

So, any Leaf drivers out there that can offer any tips, advice or maybe answer a few Q's I have? I've done a ton of research, but still have some very basic questions I can't seem to find answers too, like about the type and length of cable that comes with the car, charging in the rain and maintenance issues over the first few years.

Thanks!

Tilpots

macrumors 601
Original poster
Apr 19, 2006
Carolina Beach, NC
How much is the lease deal? My gf is looking for one right now..

$2499 down then $199 per mo for 3 years at 12,000 miles.

That's the national deal, but individual dealerships may offer better. It's mostly due to an $8,500 federal tax credit dealers
Are able to take off the top and pass on to you. States may also have their own incentives, but unfortunately mine does not.

12vElectronics

macrumors 68040
Jul 19, 2013
California
$2499 down then $199 per mo for 3 years at 12,000 miles.

That's the national deal, but individual dealerships may offer better. It's mostly due to an $8,500 federal tax credit dealers
Are able to take off the top and pass on to you. States may also have their own incentives, but unfortunately mine does not.

Thanks for the information. Will pass that on.

Sorry to threadjack.. carry on..

annk

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 18, 2004
Somewhere over the rainbow
I don't own a Leaf, but there are a zillion of them over here in Norway, and it rains all the time at this time of year. We have two other brands of electric car in our family (Buddy and Tesla), and of course we have to charge them in all types of weather.

So maybe I can help with the charging-in-the-rain question. What exactly do you wonder about?

Tilpots

macrumors 601
Original poster
Apr 19, 2006
Carolina Beach, NC
I don't own a Leaf, but there are a zillion of them over here in Norway, and it rains all the time at this time of year. We have two other brands of electric car in our family (Buddy and Tesla), and of course we have to charge them in all types of weather.

So maybe I can help with the charging-in-the-rain question. What exactly do you wonder about?

Just whether or not it's safe for driver and car and house. I'd have to install an outlet and Id want to do it outside as I prefer to keep my garage free of cars. So, if the vehicle is in the elements, will it be able to charge safely?

Haven't heard of a Buddy. Is that a Norwegian brand? How do you like the EV experience? Have you had to change your lifestyle?

annk

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 18, 2004
Just whether or not it's safe for driver and car and house. I'd have to install an outlet and Id want to do it outside as I prefer to keep my garage free of cars. So, if the vehicle is in the elements, will it be able to charge safely?

We charge our EVs via a regular 16 amp outlet, but we've had one installed in a place that's convenient to where the cars are parked, and it's outside. So the electrician just installed an outlet that's appropriate to outdoor use, just like you'd have for any other need outside (like power tools etc). So yeah, I'd say it's safe. EVs are everywhere here, and charging in the rain has never been mentioned anywhere I can remember seeing (though there have been a couple articles about charging in thunderstorms).

Haven't heard of a Buddy. Is that a Norwegian brand? How do you like the EV experience? Have you had to change your lifestyle?

Buddy is Norwegian, and possibly the cutest car ever. :D It can park anywhere. I've had it for six months, and it's GREAT in the city. My needs have been changing, however (I need to transport a large musical instrument weekly, and need to be on highways more and more, where the speed limit is more than the Buddy can manage), so I'll be replacing the Buddy with a Mitsubishi i-Miev in a couple months. But I'll really miss the Buddy.

As for my lifestyle, I've driven for over 30 years, but never owned a car! So my lifestyle has changed from using public transportation, to being able to transport myself. :p

Tilpots

macrumors 601
Original poster
Apr 19, 2006
Carolina Beach, NC
We charge our EVs via a regular 16 amp outlet, but we've had one installed in a place that's convenient to where the cars are parked, and it's outside. So the electrician just installed an outlet that's appropriate to outdoor use, just like you'd have for any other need outside (like power tools etc). So yeah, I'd say it's safe. EVs are everywhere here, and charging in the rain has never been mentioned anywhere I can remember seeing (though there have been a couple articles about charging in thunderstorms).

Buddy is Norwegian, and possibly the cutest car ever. :D It can park anywhere. I've had it for six months, and it's GREAT in the city. My needs have been changing, however (I need to transport a large musical instrument weekly, and need to be on highways more and more, where the speed limit is more than the Buddy can manage), so I'll be replacing the Buddy with a Mitsubishi i-Miev in a couple months. But I'll really miss the Buddy.

As for my lifestyle, I've driven for over 30 years, but never owned a car! So my lifestyle has changed from using public transportation, to being able to transport myself. :p

Hip to be Square, huh? Ha! That's a tiny car! Car ownership has its ups and downs. The public transport here is almost non existent so I've always had a car, but would much rather take a train or a us if doable.

Thanks for the rain info. Figured it had to be ok, but it's things like that I can't find readily on the web. The Miev isn't much bigger. What kind of instrument? Cello?

Here's another Q, can you use any extension cord when out and about if no outlet is reachable with provided cable?

quagmire

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2004
Just curious have you looked into getting a Volt or is your commute more than ~60 miles( where I believe the Volt becomes less practical for people)? Or can't find a good lease deal for it?

GreatDrok

macrumors 6502a
May 1, 2006
New Zealand
We're getting roof mounted solar when we replace our roof soon and an electric car would make a great deal of sense to us but when I looked at the leaf I discovered they use Microsoft's software and it has become a "no sale" for me as a result. Ideally, my next car will have Apple CarPlay so I would be keen to see Nissan switch to that and put the leaf back on the list. I'm not worried about the range as we rarely if ever travel more than about 50Km and if we need more we can just rent a petrol powered car.

Tilpots

macrumors 601
Original poster
Apr 19, 2006
Carolina Beach, NC
Just curious have you looked into getting a Volt or is your commute more than ~60 miles( where I believe the Volt becomes less practical for people)? Or can't find a good lease deal for it?

Looked at the Volt a bit, but one of the goals here is to reduce the total overall cost of ownership, or leasership as the case may be. Volt's still require had and the maintenance that goes along with it.

My typical commute is under 40 miles so range will on factor in maybe 2 days out of the week. On these days, I plan on charging at my office or if this proves inefficient, driving my wife's 4Runner. We would have the 4Runner for road trips or other duty when needed. This safety net is another big reason to try the plugin route.

annk

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 18, 2004
Thanks for the rain info. Figured it had to be ok, but it's things like that I can't find readily on the web. The Miev isn't much bigger. What kind of instrument? Cello?

Guzheng. It's about 167 cm long. The Miev at least has a backseat that folds down, and a bigger baggage area. But yeah, it's not much bigger.

Here's another Q, can you use any extension cord when out and about if no outlet is reachable with provided cable?

Husband says yes, and I'm assuming he means as long as it's one sold for outdoor use.

Tilpots

macrumors 601
Original poster
Apr 19, 2006
Carolina Beach, NC
Guzheng. It's about 167 cm long. The Miev at least has a backseat that folds down, and a bigger baggage area. But yeah, it's not much bigger.

Husband says yes, and I'm assuming he means as long as it's one sold for outdoor use.

That is cool! And big...

Tell your hubby 'Thanks!'

bgd

macrumors regular
Aug 30, 2005
SG
What does it cost to charge one of these and how long does it typically take? EVs are thin on the ground here, in fact I don't think I've ever seen one on the road.

Tilpots

macrumors 601
Original poster
Apr 19, 2006
Carolina Beach, NC
What does it cost to charge one of these and how long does it typically take? EVs are thin on the ground here, in fact I don't think I've ever seen one on the road.

Charging time:

EVSE Time
Level 1 charging: OEM EVSE on household 110/120V 20 hours

Level 2 charging: EVSE on 240V 40A circuit 8 hours

Level 3 charging: "CHAdeMO DC fast charging": 30 min

Level 1 is like a typical house outlet, level 2 is like what you'd see at Whole Foods and Level 3 I've never seen. From what I can tell, it's available in most large cities and is making its way into more and more places.

As far as cost, thats dependent on where you live and the local rates, but for me it should average out to about a $1 a day.

Where do you live?

quagmire

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2004
Level 1 is like a typical house outlet, level 2 is like what you'd see at Whole Foods and Level 3 I've never seen. From what I can tell, it's available in most large cities and is making its way into more and more places.

As far as cost, thats dependent on where you live and the local rates, but for me it should average out to about a $1 a day.

Where do you live?

You probably wouldn't want to do level 3 unless it was an emergency. Charging a battery that fast will shorten its lifespan. Then again it is a lease so you may not have to worry about battery replacement.

Tilpots

macrumors 601
Original poster
Apr 19, 2006
Carolina Beach, NC
You probably wouldn't want to do level 3 unless it was an emergency. Charging a battery that fast will shorten its lifespan. Then again it is a lease so you may not have to worry about battery replacement.

Yeah, regular charging on a Level 3 isn't reccommended (neither is a regular Level 1, surprisingly). Level 3's would be great at intervals along Interstates to allow for Road Trips. I can see that happening down the road, but not for at least 5-10 years.

And youre right, with the lease I'm not too concerned about the battery lifespan, but I'm trying to get into good habits as I think my next purchase will be electric given this lease goes well. I'll also have the option to purchase his vehicle at the end of the lease, but we'll see how that goes down the road. Not my intention now, anyway.

rhp2424

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2008
Welp. Leased the Leaf. I'ts an EV Life for me. So far, I love it... We shall see.

Congratulations on the new car! I've owned one for 2+ years and I love it! My commute is about 15 miles round-trip and I can generally charge it on Sunday night and not need to charge it again until Thursday night. I only charge it up to 80% and I do not generally bring it into the last 20% zone either. That seems to be recommended for the life of the battery and I'm able to do that.

I don't know if I'm allowed to promote another site here, but mynissanleaf (a dot com site) is a nice resource, I've found.

By the way, if you haven't found a charger yet, which I am figuring you have, I found Clipper Creek to be a fantastic charger for my needs.

Oh, and one last thing, check with your electric company. I am on an EV rate, and I find my electric bill has actually been reduced since we got the LEAF!!

Tilpots

macrumors 601
Original poster
Apr 19, 2006
Carolina Beach, NC
Congratulations on the new car! I've owned one for 2+ years and I love it! My commute is about 15 miles round-trip and I can generally charge it on Sunday night and not need to charge it again until Thursday night. I only charge it up to 80% and I do not generally bring it into the last 20% zone either. That seems to be recommended for the life of the battery and I'm able to do that.

I don't know if I'm allowed to promote another site here, but mynissanleaf (a dot com site) is a nice resource, I've found.

By the way, if you haven't found a charger yet, which I am figuring you have, I found Clipper Creek to be a fantastic charger for my needs.

Oh, and one last thing, check with your electric company. I am on an EV rate, and I find my electric bill has actually been reduced since we got the LEAF!!

Thanks!!! I got the 2015 model and I don't believe it has the ability to stop at 80% now. Not sure why, but it seems like a lot of people live that feature. Don't know why they pulled it.

I have gone to the mynissanleaf site quite often. Extremely helpful so far. I called my electric co today but didn't like the guy I dealt with so I'll call again tomorrow to see if they have any programs or specials. Haven't gotten a home charger yet and unless a utility or the dealership offer me one for a low/no cost, I probably won't get it. So far the trickle cable has worked as intended.

Any other tips or advice?

bgd

macrumors regular
Aug 30, 2005
SG

Where do you live?

Singapore.

Here we arguably have the most expensive cars in the world. It's the government's way of limiting traffic on a small island. That small size and the consistent temperature (32C down to 26C at night) all year round would make Sg ideal for electric cars.

But cars here are a status symbol. I doubt the Leaf would get a look in, and it would cost over $100K. The Tesla would be more popular I think.

We are big on electric scooters (the stand up type) and bicycles. So perhaps cars might catch on one day.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.