Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

calaverasgrande

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2010
Brooklyn, New York.
I've read elsewhere that they have had issues with yields for the 5k iMac
(which I still think is an unnecessary exercise in specs for specs sake).
So it is probable that even if they had fabbed up a working model of a new retina display for Mac Pro and retina iMac users, they are holding it back until the retina iMac sales have plateaued.
Which leaves me kind of annoyed. I usually buy myself some big shiny tech object in Dec. (my birthday and Xmas are a week apart).
I was hoping it would be an overpriced 4k/5k monitor with an apple logo!

Also kind of surprised that the new iMac looks exactly like the old one.

msvadi

macrumors 6502
Aug 12, 2010
No new Thunderbolt display, I'm disappointed.

I'm using my Mac Pro with a 2010 iMac as a display (in Target Display Mode). The setup does not work very well: often when I restart the computers, the iMac fails to go into Target Display Mode. I don't really know what the cause is, but I hoped that switching to a proper Thunderbolt display would resolve the issue. I'm not sure now if I should buy the current version of the display or wait longer for a new version.

gugy

macrumors 68040
Jan 31, 2005
La Jolla, CA
I agreed that is very strange the lack of TB display update.
Apple could be selling tons of 5k for Pro users using their MacPro's. This one is a head scratcher.

The funny thing they use a professional photographer of that caliber using an iMac. While I understand the marketing implications, most guy like that have a MacPro.

Well, I guess we have to wait.

All that said, the new displays looks stunning. I can't wait to see it at the retail stores.

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
Here is your answer - https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1803275/

In a nutshell, ThunderBolt 2 / DisplayPort 1.2 cannot drive a 5K monitor and DisplayPort 1.3 will not ship until ThunderBolt 3 which requires Intel's Skylake chipset and Intel is running very late getting that to market.

And my suggestion up-thread of using two TB2/DP1.2 ports on the Mac Pro evidently is not viable per the above article/thread.

So likely no new 5k Thunderbolt Display until Intel gets Skylake out the door and Apple adds it to the Mac line.

calaverasgrande

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2010
Brooklyn, New York.
headscratcher indeed. There must be a goodly large fraction, maybe half or 2/3rds of New Mac Pro and 2014 RMBP owners that are screaming 'Take my money please!" at Apple.
The only plus on the TB display is that it nets you a legacy firewire port. So if you still have to play with those drives (as I do) it's great that you arent losing one TB port to the display and one to dongle. But at twice the price of an Asus, HP or Samsung equivalent monitor it's not THAT keen.
I might hold out a tiny bit longer. Just until I've totally paid off my Mac and gotten back from my trip to NYC in a few weeks.
Doubt Apple has any more products to push before the holidays though.

hwilhelm

macrumors newbie
Oct 18, 2014
Hey msvadi,

What cable set-up did you use with your Mac Pro to use the Target Display Mode for your 2010 iMac?

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
Here is your answer - https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1803275/

In a nutshell, ThunderBolt 2 / DisplayPort 1.2 cannot drive a 5K monitor and DisplayPort 1.3 will not ship until ThunderBolt 3 which requires Intel's Skylake chipset and Intel is running very late getting that to market.

And my suggestion up-thread of using two TB2/DP1.2 ports on the Mac Pro evidently is not viable per the above article/thread.

So likely no new 5k Thunderbolt Display until Intel gets Skylake out the door and Apple adds it to the Mac line.

But why can't they come out with a 4K display? THey sell them with their current Mac Pros and I would think a 24" and 32" 4K TBD would sell acceptably well.

At least updated the current one with a new design, better anti-glare, and USB 3.0.

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
But why can't they come out with a 4K display? THey sell them with their current Mac Pros and I would think a 24" and 32" 4K TBD would sell acceptably well.

Apple may feel that with so many third-party 4K options available, it's not worth the investment to offer their own model - especially as we can safely expect that it would be at the higher end of the price spectrum and therefore may not sell all that well if there are other options with similar specs and lower prices.

At least updated the current one with a new design, better anti-glare, and USB 3.0.

I wonder if Apple has large stocks of the current ATD on hand (due to the high price relative to much of the competition) and therefore do not wish to release a new model as it would require liquidating that stock.

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
I wonder if Apple has large stocks of the current ATD on hand (due to the high price relative to much of the competition) and therefore do not wish to release a new model as it would require liquidating that stock.

That sounds very plausible. It has to be a niche market.

hyune83

macrumors member
Sep 19, 2008
I just can't believe they still have the ATD on sale.
Even just upgrading to the iMac body and screen with usb 3.0 would make a big difference.

Nemic

macrumors member
Mar 18, 2012
I just can't believe they still have the ATD on sale.
Even just upgrading to the iMac body and screen with usb 3.0 would make a big difference.

I totally agree with this.

If they had released an updated display with those criteria I would have bought one as soon as it went on sale.

All this time later and still no updates forthcoming has been rather frustrating for me. I can totally understand the technical hurdles getting 5K (or maybe even 4K?) to run properly over existing Thunderbolt - and it seems that Intel may be the main hurdle there at least with 5K.

I really wanted a new screen to run off my mid 2012 MacBook Pro Retina. With none announced I have decided to get a Retina iMac, and I can't wait for that to arrive.

EvilEvil

macrumors 65816
Jan 8, 2007
New York City
Apple probably doesn't want to compete with their own products i.e. the new iMac just like they like the gimped the new Mac Mini for the same reason.

calaverasgrande

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2010
Brooklyn, New York.
I dont understand the logic that some people have about a new TBCD.
They seem to be operating under an assumption that only Mac Pro users would buy them. If it was UHD or 'merely' 4K not 5K I don't think the last few generations of 15" RMBP wouldn't have a problem driving it. Also some RiMac users will want a 2nd display. Certainly with a 5k iMac the old TBCD will look not just lower res, but clunky and old!
I'm not positive but I think some of the other TB equipped Macs will be able to drive higher resolutions as well.
So, not just Mac Pros.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.