Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ANDYMILLMAN

macrumors member
Jul 6, 2008

Gav Mack

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2008
Sagittarius A*
Hi guys,

I have the following SSD (http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/solid-state-drives/solid-state-drives-520-series.html)

INTEL SSDSC2BW180A3H in my HP elitebook 2570p (core i7) running Mavericks and Windows 8 (dual boot).

With TRIM disabled, Mavericks boots up well under 10 seconds... however after enabling TRIM, shutdown and startup times are closer to 40/50 seconds...

Is this normal behavior and will it improve over time?

I would leave trim enabled, switch off the energy savers and leave the system on overnight to do the SSD housekeeping on the HFS+ partition. If it still is playing up I suggest asking at insanelymac or tonyosx86 for any help as it could be a hackintosh issue common not only to your model of laptop but other types that share the same chipset. I don't mind building and setting up hackintoshes but maintaining them is a lot of work especially with OSX release upgrades.

ElectricSheep

macrumors 6502
Feb 18, 2004
Wilmington, DE
That SSD is built around a Sandforce controller. Some 5.x Firmware revisions of Sandforce have severe issues with TRIM, and you should either make sure that the firmware is updated or disable TRIM.

Cindori

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 17, 2008
Sweden
I have a Samsung 840 that began lagging annoyingly.

After running TRIM Enabler and restarting the computer was instantly faster. I can't believe how dramatic the difference was right away. Thank you, OP!

Yep, Cindori did a good thing by allowing us to enable Apple's Trim Support. He's one of the good guys, and it's worth it for us to support him.

Lou

Hey! Thanks! I'm very grateful for the support this forum has given me, thanks to you guys I have been able to pursue this hobby and now got a whole new range of Mac OSX applications planned for 2014.

Hi guys,

I have the following SSD (http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/solid-state-drives/solid-state-drives-520-series.html)

INTEL SSDSC2BW180A3H in my HP elitebook 2570p (core i7) running Mavericks and Windows 8 (dual boot).

With TRIM disabled, Mavericks boots up well under 10 seconds... however after enabling TRIM, shutdown and startup times are closer to 40/50 seconds...

Is this normal behavior and will it improve over time?

If the issue persists after several reboots, I suggest turning off Trim. There are around 5% of SSD's where this issue occurs when enabling Trim, and yours seem to be one of them.

hfg

macrumors 68040
Dec 1, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA. USA
Trim Enabler not working for me with Yosemite

Reading Cindori's FAQ on the Yosemite version of "TrimEnabler" did leave me a bit concerned. I do blame Apple for this, but the recovery process is a bit of a disaster if something goes wrong, or you reset PRAM without thinking first.

However ... I can't even get that far ...

I downloaded the latest version 3.3 of TrimEnabler Pro (I had Yosemite running under the previous recently released 3.2.6 version with no problems) and proceeded to try to enable Trim on my Mac Pro 5,1 with several SSDs. It went through the dialog boxes about disabling Kext signing and I hit proceed for both. Then, just as it rebooted, I see the green switch move to the off position. After the reboot, Trim is not enabled. Trying again follows the same sequence without enabling Trim.

I also created a fresh minimum Yosemite installation with no added files on a spare SSD and it behaved the same way ... no Trim.

Anyone else having this problem?

-howard

EDIT: pulled the previous version 3.2.6 off of Time Machine and ran it. It did not present the Kext signing dialogs, but it did seem to enable Trim for all my SSDs (as shown in System Information).

Last edited:

crjackson2134

macrumors 601
Mar 6, 2013
Charlotte, NC
It did that with me when I tried by sliding the switch. The trick was to just click to the right of the button and let it go green on its own, I as trying to drag it I to position. Two reboots later it was all good.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.