Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Haynzee

macrumors regular
Mar 13, 2012
Just noticed this problem today and a friend of mine has the problem too. It's definitely Hardware issue I'm on iOS 7.1 he's on 6.x and we both are out of warranty sadly but as @threelions says you are covered a little in the UK under Sales of Goods Act.

@threelions You bought the phone from Three which means your contract is with them in terms of the law. Therefore contact them if they say you should take it to Apple you should tell Three no that is their job as you have the sale with them not Apple. Be prepared to fight under the Sales of Goods act. I got a laptop fixed for free under it before. What I would do if I were you, contact three see what they say if they say its out of warranty tell them "Under the Sales of Goods Act I have the right for the phone to be fixed or replaced by the person I bought the product from. (they may keep moaning) So you say, due to the cost of the phone I purchased the phone under the assumption it would last longer than xx months and as it currently stands it is not fit for purpose."

You need to stress the cost, and not fit for purpose. They should really back down then. I got a £300 repair cost on a laptop for free after saying that. The laptop cost about the same as an iPhone too. Also they may try to sell you an extended warranty, stand firm you do not have to pay this at all, unless you want it of course.

Haynzee

macrumors regular
Mar 13, 2012
Update!

Quick Update:

I sent my iPhone in for repair on Monday and today I got a new/refurb unit. It looks brand new came with iOS 6.0.4 on it screen was perfect brand new battery, I'm happy best of all completely free. UK peeps - Use Sales of Goods Act, it works!

threelions

macrumors regular
Nov 7, 2013
Thanks for the info Haynzee.

Well I took your advice and had a LONG call with Three. Went through the whole "Well it's no longer in warranty" "You'll have to take it to Apple" but after a back and forth with them telling me to take it to Apple and they would refund me any charges, which I didn't want to do as I don't trust them 100% to keep their word, they offered me a Iphone 5C as a replacement, as they no longer stock the Iphone 5. I wasn't keen as I'm not a big fan of the plastic back but it's a working new Iphone and looking around my local exchange shops should I choose to sell it at the end of my contract(or to help pay for an Iphone6) I would get an extra £100 over the standard Iphone 5. So I accepted their offer and have a new white backed one on the way. Maybe I should have pushed more I don't know but a working Iphone and the extra exchange price is enough for me.

Again thanks for the help.

Retired Cat

macrumors 65816
Jun 12, 2013
I just noticed the pink hue in the display of my almost-1-year-old iPhone 5 today. The hue is usually noticeable only when there's a lot of white on the screen (For example, when iOS 7 apps like calendar and Safari are open).

This seems to be a design defect in the display, given the widespread appearance of the problem in new and refurb units.

Zmanbaseball2

macrumors 68040
Aug 24, 2012
New York, USA
I went to the apple store. They will only replace the display and not the whole iPhone. I was thinking in the future to just wreak the iPhone so I can get a full replacement under AC+ for $50 before my upgrade/AC+ expires. Anyone have a way of doing this? Do I dent a part of the iPhone and crack the screen? What should I do? I want a full replacement with a new battery.

richwoodrocket

macrumors 68020
Apr 7, 2014
Buffalo, NY
I just noticed the pink hue in the display of my almost-1-year-old iPhone 5 today. The hue is usually noticeable only when there's a lot of white on the screen (For example, when iOS 7 apps like calendar and Safari are open).

This seems to be a design defect in the display, given the widespread appearance of the problem in new and refurb units.

My dad noticed exactly this on his iPhone 5.

truelies

macrumors regular
Oct 14, 2011
My phone had this problem. Changed six months ago, now the new one turns yellow again.

recoil80

macrumors 68040
Jul 16, 2014
Damn, I just noticed that problem while I was restoring my phone for 8.0.2 and I was watching the Apple logo on the white background.
Do you think the problem may get worse in the future? Now I can live with that, I only notice the pink hue with a complete white background but on a daily usage is not so bad.
Too bad my warranty is over, I wish I noticed that a couple of months ago :(

Retired Cat

macrumors 65816
Jun 12, 2013
Do you think the problem may get worse in the future? Now I can live with that, I only notice the pink hue with a complete white background but on a daily usage is not so bad.

Too bad my warranty is over, I wish I noticed that a couple of months ago :(

I've had the pink hue for the past 5 months and it hasn't gotten worse. I too only notice it when the screen is mostly white. It's not visible at all in most apps or when I'm watching video.

recoil80

macrumors 68040
Jul 16, 2014
I've had the pink hue for the past 5 months and it hasn't gotten worse. I too only notice it when the screen is mostly white. It's not visible at all in most apps or when I'm watching video.

True, but I want to sell the phone and a buyer is gonna notice that.
I'm still in the second year warranty (in the EU we have 2 years) but I can't take it to the Apple store, I'll have it fixed by my carrier since Apple offers free repair only on the first year. It will take a couple of weeks, but in the meantime I bought an iPhone 6 :)

Haynzee

macrumors regular
Mar 13, 2012
I'm on my 3rd iPhone now because of this issue, and its back again. Getting rather sick of it to be honest.

Retired Cat

macrumors 65816
Jun 12, 2013
I'm on my 3rd iPhone now because of this issue, and its back again. Getting rather sick of it to be honest.

Are these all iPhone 5 units? I'm wondering if this problem is unique to iPhone 5, or if 5C and 5S units suffer the same issue.

Haynzee

macrumors regular
Mar 13, 2012
Are these all iPhone 5 units? I'm wondering if this problem is unique to iPhone 5, or if 5C and 5S units suffer the same issue.

Yeh all iPhone 5s. Original one I bought, then I got a refurbished (could tell by the serial) then a newer one, and now Ive contacted apple again to send it back.

yukyuklee

macrumors 6502
Jan 4, 2011
Boston, MA
MAN! I was trying to trade in my iPhone 5 and they showed me this problem I never noticed this until the sales rep pointed this out to me... I just paid the $200 with 2yr agreement anyhow

Haynzee

macrumors regular
Mar 13, 2012
Its only because someone pointed this out to us all. Now that I know its there its bugging the hell out of me

Actually I noticed it on my first device and thought it was the edge going yellow until I put a full white screen on it.

beaugold

macrumors newbie
Mar 17, 2013
Guys, I just wanna say that I am also facing this issue. After sending a picture of the screen on Apple Chat the Genius on hand told me that he does not notice anything. Guess I have to head down to a store now :(

Merkie

macrumors 68020
Oct 23, 2008
First iPhone 5 had this issue, got a new one. Now after a year, my new iPhone has the same issue AGAIN. Only now I'm out of warranty. This sucks :mad:.

snowie0wl

macrumors newbie
Feb 16, 2015
Workaround

If your phone is jailbroken, you might be able to reduce the appearance of the problem somewhat with Color Profiles, which I think is a couple dollars on Cydia. This does not entirely remove the problem but the experience is no longer overly distracting (as it was for books on my phone). This workaround will make the phone's image color slightly off and dimmer but it can be removed easily if the effect is not desired.

In Color Profile's settings, I set the upper and lower Color Temperature bars to ~37% and ~48%, respectively. I turned on the "enable" switch. This temporarily made things fairly cyan. I then set the Profile to "Red" and the profile percentage bar to ~17%. Your phone's screen and pink blob may differ so adjust until things look pretty good. Hope that helps someone!

Last edited:

lennychipe

macrumors newbie
Nov 11, 2016
Not the whole iPhone?
My iphone have a hue color in the center what is the problem of that?
[doublepost=1478911026][/doublepost]
pink hue.

Hey ! I work for a Telus dealership and I seen this once before. it is a defect in the LCD. If your phone is still under warranty i'd just go in and get a replacement !
My iphone have a hue color in the center. What is the problem of that?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.