Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Excluding Apple, do you have a favourite smartphone maker?

• No. I don't have a favourite

Votes: 10 16.1%
  • Asus

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Google (Nexus)

Votes: 6 9.7%
  • HTC

Votes: 7 11.3%
  • Huawei

• Lenovo

• LG

Votes: 2 3.2%
  • Microsoft/Nokia

• Motorola

Votes: 9 14.5%
  • OnePlus

Votes: 1 1.6%
  • Oppo

• RIM (Blackberry)

Votes: 2 3.2%
  • Samsung

Votes: 10 16.1%
  • Sony

Votes: 14 22.6%
  • Xiaomi

• Other

Votes: 1 1.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

JunBringer

macrumors regular
Oct 7, 2014
Sony's focus on waterproofing everything is definitely very interesting.

Agreed, I feel like they pushed Samsung into making the S5 water resistant, which is great since Samsung is a big player these days.

I voted Sony because of waterproofing, sd card slots and pushing boundaries. For example my Xperia Z Ultra is 6.44 inches, probably the biggest smartphone out there. While it didn't do very well I like that they took the risk. Since they didn't do a Z3 Ultra I'll just be hopping up to the Z3 Tablet Compact asap.

nickchallis92

macrumors 6502a
Mar 4, 2012
London
How can people vote Sony?

They live off their reputation whilst producing products which are obviously inferior to those of Samsung and HTC.

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
Sony Ericsson, now Sony. Great forward thinking phones they have made, still do in some aspects, plus they understand people like to have battery life..... and why are they STILL the only manufacture to make a high end small phone?

XmeX

macrumors regular
Sep 21, 2014
For me after Iphone 6 & IOS 8 Apple would be always excluded

Nokia is the best ...

cdmoore74

macrumors 68020
Jun 24, 2010
Hardware wise I'm going Samsung. While everyone else was going away from SD cards and removable batteries Samsung stuck with them. And the Note series just proves that Samsung did not give up against the naysayers when it came to larger powerful phones. Today the Note 4 has the best screen of any smartphone made along with features galore. And even though the Note Edge is not for me it shows that Samsung is willing to try new things.

Software wise would be Nexus. Give me vanilla Android with a unlockable bootloader and I would be happy. I just wish the Nexus had SD card support, removable/larger battery and IR blaster. The worst issue I have is that it's not available on Verizon.

Today I don't believe that there is a perfect phone. If the Note 4 had a unlockable bootloader which allowed for custom roms it would be perfect.

----------

They live off their reputation whilst producing products which are obviously inferior to those of Samsung and HTC.

Exactly! Just look at the Verizon version of the Z3. They finally put a flagship on Verizon but they kept the Z2 design. Non-sense.

Savor

Suspended
Jun 18, 2010
Most of my favorites I like them for many different reasons and positives they bring to the industry.

Google - Google Search. YouTube. Android. Play Store. GMail. Google Voice. Google Maps. Google Music. Chrome. And so on. Free OS to use. Free services to use. Google is the only company that offers an open mobile platform with endless personal customization offered now that Symbian is practically dead. Microsoft's WP and Apple's iOS doesn't give us those liberties and their homescreens generally all look the same from each other than different background wallpapers or apps.

HTC - Hardware? Check. Premium design/build quality. Makers of the Xperia X1, and Nexus One (aka HTC Passion). Software? Check. Makers of arguably one of the best and slickest Android custom skins. BlinkFeed. Zoe. Makers of Tytn, Touch Diamond, HD2, Evo, Thunderbolt, Butterfly, and Desire EYE. Pioneers of touchscreen smartphones and Android's first Dream. One M7 was their pinnacle in hardware design. Taiwan is near Japan's level in testing and quality. Everytime I see HTC vs Sony comparisons, I feel torn.

Sony - Top 5 in design. Walkman app. Sound quality. Excellent camera quality. Water/dust resistant on their flagships. Offering Xenon flash back in the K900 days. Xperia PLAY concept was awesome but underutilized. PS4 Remote Play. Sony's ecosystem can be underrated. Xperia Compact series. Inspiration to Apple's designs. While Sony might not be as popular as before and were never really popular with smartphones, they are still a legend in technology. I hope Kaz Hirai stirs the ship right for Sony.

Xiaomi - A Chinese brand worth supporting. Offers best specs/price ratio. Actually have a mascot with their Mitu merchadising. Rise to the top in four years in a very large and competitive market in China. A business model that completely disrupted the market and inspired OnePlus to do the same. Their Mi flagships were the early flagship killers right before OnePlus One's mantra.

Asus - I never owned an Asus product but I just like them because of their build quality/price ratio. I saw a catalog last year of Asus showing a chart that said their laptops have a low number of defects and their rigorous testing. Their laptops can survive Mount Everest! First smartphone I ever liked from them was the Padfone 2 (hybrid). Zenfones might be a poor man's HTC phones but Asus' porfolio is much more diverse. Watch their 10 min product promo video of the Zenfones. Their attention to detail is amazing and can match HTC's but with a Xiaomi-like price.

Nokia - A legend. Inventors of GSM and 3G technology. Snake II. Nokia ringtone. Current camera quality. Sound quality of the N91. Unique swivel of the N93. The N82's Xenon flash. N8's build quality. Design of the 6500 Slide & Classic. If cell phone technology had a Hall of Fame, only Motorola and Nokia would be in it after several decades of experience and innovation they brought to the table.

Now just because they are my favorites doesn't mean I have 100% brand loyalty to any of them. They all have flaws. Not everyone is a fan of Google's data farming, HTC's customer service and marketing, Sony's prices and downfall since 2006, or Xiaomi's blind purchasing flash sales and aping of Apple's designs. I believe brand loyalty is blind, breeds fanboy tunnel vision, and limits our options for something better.

This is also what makes Android so appealing. Brand hopping and trying to combine each of their strengths to make it a better and more complete experience instead of relying on just one device. Carrying TWO phones (with holster cases) really is much better for me in most situations. Never have to worry about battery life as I range from 3-12 hrs of sceen on usage or any glaring weaknesses that could randomly pop up and compromise me if I carried only ONE phone.

ozaz

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 27, 2011

I think you misunderstand the nature of the thread. I purposefully asked for favourite rather than which you think makes the best devices.

This leaves the potential reasons totally open. One reason for your choice of favourite could be because you think a particular manufacturer currently makes the best phones, but any other reason is perfectly valid, including having a soft spot for a manufacturer because of products they made 25 years ago.

-------

Having said that, if we were taking about which devices are best I would disagree with your dismissal of the current crop (Z3) of Sony phones. If you place a high value on battery life, I think there's a strong argument that they are amongst, if not, the best Android phones available.

Savor

Suspended
Jun 18, 2010
It was GSMArena, Howard Forums, and AnythingButiPod that opened up my mind to different brands. The latter especially since MacRumor's #1 topic before iPhones were never about Macs but iPods. When I used to lurk here in 2006, overpriced iPods were all people talked about. Then I was introduced to Cowon, Creative, and iRiver which didn't force me to pay $200 for an mp3 player. Now that smartphones have pretty much killed that industry, buying iPods were a waste of money.

I made a list of different tech brands I liked, disliked, and felt indifferent last summer, so this topic is right up my alley. I put Facebook, Apple, Samsung, Microsoft, and BlackBerry all under my blacklist. My most hated company is Smart Communications (Filipino carrier) which has robbed me 5-6x in my prepaid balance. Then Cherry Mobile which is really a Chinese maker that rebrands to Filipinos. They make cheap, disposable phones. I also blacklisted PC makers like HP, Dell, & Lenovo.

For other some brands I didn't talk about earlier, here goes -

Motorola - Grandfather of cell phones would be the first inducted to a mobile HoF. But I was never really a fan of Moto or its RAZR. I always felt their software was crap while their hardware design and reception were stellar. I know most old timers love StarTec or whatever, but I never really enjoyed owning their V600 or V3. First Motorola product I owned was actually a pager back in 1999 about 9 months before I got an Audiovox (first cp). Moto was always rock solid in build quality. They were king of the flip phone era. But when they entered the smartphone era, they always looked lost like Nokia. They needed marketing from Verizon's Droid line while Google helped them in software last year. Most of Moto X's best features are really Google's ideas. I respect Motorola, but it doesn't mean I have to love them.

LG - First time I liked an LG product was the 3DO when they were still known as Gold Star. First phone ad I ever liked was from the LG Viewty (2007). Only LG product I ever owned was a portable air conditioner. Never an LG phone like a Chocolate or Vu. I don't think I missed out on much as LG phones always seemed to have a bad reputation until 2012 when the Optimus G/Nexus 4 exceeded expectations. The G2/Nexus 5 improved. I actually like the design of the G3 but I don't think LG is on par Apple or Samsung or any of my favorites when it comes to consistent QUALITY yet. Second tier. And I do hate LG's logo! Such an eyesore on the front of the G3.

Huawei - First time I knew about them was back in 2011 when my Dad owned a crappy Huawei touchscreen with MetroPCS. Reception was awful. I couldn't pronounce Huawei and first thing that came to my mind was Hawaii. But it is "Wow-way." Xiaomi was more obvious because "Xi = "Sh" and I was a Ling Xiaoyu fan since Tekken 3. It wasn't until I saw the Ascend Mate and P6 last year that I started respecting Huawei's design and build quality. Unsure of Emotion UI and the SoC Huawei makes seems weak. Huawei, MediaTek, or Intel SoC don't really compare to Qualcomm's esp the Snapdragon 800+ series.

Meizu - Knew about them back in 2009 but they haven't released their phones outside China. Among the early iPhone copycats, they were among the better ones. Checked out the MX4 video reviews yesterday. Not bad. Not familiar with Flyme OS and not a fan of Taiwan's MediaTek. Qualcomm FTW!

Gionee/IUNI - Makers of the world's thinnest phones with the recently announced Elife S5.1. I still question the price, specs, and Amigo OS.

BlackBerry - Just never a fan with their overpriced BlackBerry plans and apps although I did like the Bold 9900 design and the PlayBook's QNX UI which copied some of webOS but videos played in the background while switching to another app.

Microsoft - Same as above although I do think Windows Phone's Metro UI is the most unique interface out there. Surprising considering Steve Jobs called a company like Microsoft (or Bill Gates) BORING, NO TASTE, UNORIGINAL. Now that Ballmer owns the LA Clippers, I might have to start tolerating Microsoft again.

Any of these companies can ascend or descend in the charts. It's like songs in The Billboards. I can hate one maker and start to love them next month. There's a thin line between love & hate. Most companies are walking on a high wire. None of us have owned every single phone from each manufacturer to ever really know. A sample here or there. There was a period in the 1990's when Apple was a joke. My PC nerd classmate called their products MacIntrash. There was time Samsung was a joke as well. Now Apple and Samsung became the most popular phone makers in the world. Market is fickle & volatile. Like in team sports. My Clippers are becoming popular while the Lakers are becoming a joke recently because there are enough bandwagoners for everyone.

MindsEye

macrumors regular
May 3, 2010
All things considering i.e hardware & software , i've gotta give it to Sony. I'm a sucka for the glass back design on phones. Their skin is very unobtrusive and love the different themes you can install. I've also found many of their preinstalled apps like photos, music and of course the ability to pair a DualShock controller without root to be very useful.

There's pretty much only one reason why i'm not continuing with them and that is the 16GB offering. They're also quite slow with updating their handsets to the latest and greatest of android but if they bump up to atleast 32GB, i'll jump right back on to this brand.

kevinof

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2008
Dublin/London
Moto. Use to be a big Nokia user and loved their products. Miss those days!

Here's what I'd like all the Android manufacturers to do - stick to stock android. No TW, no Sense. Just concentrate on delivering the best hardware you can provide (screens, battery life, waterproofing etc) and leave the core Android development to Google. Supply add on services and tweaks through the play store and we can choose what to add or not ( you can even charge extra for them if you want).

ozaz

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 27, 2011
And mocking the thread of course

Swear we had a similar thread made recently

I think I know the thread you mean, but that thread didn't include a poll, and it took a completely different tone. The tone in that thread was something along the lines of - of course we all know apple is best, but if you really had to use something else, what would you use? My intention in this thread is absolutely not to imply Apple is best (or that it's everyone's favourite). I just want to exclude it from the poll to get an idea of whether people have a favourite amongst the other manufacturers.

The deep thinking award must go to you, Savor :)

All things considering i.e hardware & software , i've gotta give it to Sony. I'm a sucka for the glass back design on phones. Their skin is very unobtrusive and love the different themes you can install. I've also found many of their preinstalled apps like photos, music and of course the ability to pair a DualShock controller without root to be very useful.

There's pretty much only one reason why i'm not continuing with them and that is the 16GB offering. They're also quite slow with updating their handsets to the latest and greatest of android but if they bump up to atleast 32GB, i'll jump right back on to this brand.

Yeah, the 16gb thing is really annoying. In 2014, the minimum for internal storage in high end phones should really be 32gb.

Last edited:

Jibbajabba

macrumors 65816
Aug 13, 2011
Hardware wise I'm going Samsung. While everyone else was going away from SD cards and removable batteries Samsung stuck with them. And the Note series just proves that Samsung did not give up against the naysayers when it came to larger powerful phones. Today the Note 4 has the best screen of any smartphone made along with features galore. And even though the Note Edge is not for me it shows that Samsung is willing to try new things.

Software wise would be Nexus. Give me vanilla Android with a unlockable bootloader and I would be happy. I just wish the Nexus had SD card support, removable/larger battery and IR blaster. The worst issue I have is that it's not available on Verizon.

Today I don't believe that there is a perfect phone. If the Note 4 had a unlockable bootloader which allowed for custom roms it would be perfect.

----------

Exactly! Just look at the Verizon version of the Z3. They finally put a flagship on Verizon but they kept the Z2 design. Non-sense.

Pretty much mirrors what I think. I don't have the N4 yet because unlike any other phone I owned before (Original iPhone,IP3G,3GS,4,4S,5S,S2,3,4), the Note 3 is the first one I don't care about replacing . In fact, I had water damage and insurance just replaced it with a new shiny one. Could have sold it, buy something else, but I don't see a need. The N3 ticks all the boxes.(or I am just getting old).

Savor

Suspended
Jun 18, 2010
It is ironic that 2 of my Top 5 favorite phones ever (iPhone 4 & Focus) was from Apple and Samsung, but I don't rank them as high as a brand. I guess because I sometimes dislike what they try to push as an overall company, think their popularity is overrated, or don't always agree with their principles. If I rank it BEST, Apple and Samsung would rank in the Top 5 but this is based on FAVORITES.

1. Google (USA)
2. HTC (Taiwan)
3. Sony (Japan)
4. Xiaomi (China)
5. Asus (Taiwan)
6. Nokia (Finland)
7. Sanyo (Japan)
8. Motorola (USA)
9. Apple (USA)
10. Samsung (South Korea)
11. Microsoft (USA)
12. LG (South Korea)
13. Oppo/OnePlus (China)
14. Sharp (Japan)
15. Huawei (China)
16. MyPhone (Philippines)
17. BlackBerry (Canada)
18. Meizu (China)
19. Lenovo (China)
20. Acer (Taiwan)
21. Gionee/IUNI (China)
22. Kyocera (Japan)
23. Pantech (South Korea)
24. Kata (China)
25. O+ (USA)
26. ZTE (China)
27. Alcatel (France)
28. Starmobile (Philippines)
29. Arc Mobile (Philippines)
30. Cherry Mobile (Philippines)
31. Torque (Philippines)
32. SKK (Philippines)

^ Based on brands I've seen. I can go on and on. There is an endless number of makers from China, luxury brands, or whatever local brand for whatever specific country like Karbonn and Micromax for the Indian market.

Excluded -
Audiovox (USA)
Qualcomm (USA)
Ericsson (Sweden)
Palm (USA)
HP (USA)
Dell (USA)

My first two cell phones were actually Audiovox and Qualcomm. Ericsson and Palm = RIP. HP did release the Pre 3 which I wanted but realized webOS was only for the short-sighted . Dell did release the Streak which spawned phablets. Most of them are MIA except Qualcomm which makes SoC's.

Panasonic (Japan) - There was a time I actually liked Panasonic more than Sony. If I ranked my Top 10 overall tech brands, Panasonic would be in it. For any Panasonic fans would know they used to build more durable products. I have a Panasonic DVD player that is 11-years old and still works. My Wife's Panasonic TV is 18-years old and still works. I couldn't include Panasonic among phone makers because their smartphones are limited to specific countries. This also applies to Toshiba and many other brands geared to limited markets. Panasonic's Eluga smartphone is limited, overpriced, and under spec'ed.

Amazon (USA) - I like Amazon as a company. I love buying cheap SanDisk memory cards from them and they ship it to me FAST. They sometimes offer free credits to purchase songs or watch a movie during Christmas. I used their music cloud service well before Google. But I can't rank them among favorite phone makers since I never seen the Fire phone in person. If I did, Amazon probably would NOT rank in my Top 20 as I would hate using a crippled Android OS and wouldn't want to be stuck in their ecosystem as restrictive Apple's. But as an overall brand, they would be in my Top 10 even higher than Apple! Best online retailer to me. Anytime I see FAIR prices, I root for them. I frequent their site to read reviews or find any discounts. I can trust Amazon more than eBay or Craigslist. I already got ripped off twice with the latter buying memory cards and fake iPod headphones.

Destroysall

macrumors 65816
Feb 28, 2012
United States
I've always had a fondness for HTC phones. The One X for AT&T is beautiful. I didn't care all that much for the One M7 even though it looked sleek. However recently I did an upgrade and picked the M8 (even over iPhone 6) and I am in love. The UI is a gorgeous adaption of Android and the aesthetics of this phone definitely makes it a pleasure to own and use day-to-day. I'd choose this phone over any Samsung, any day. :)

Savor

Suspended
Jun 18, 2010
HTC is now dropping to #4 because my One (M7) is starting to crack on the bottom in the micro-USB area because the charger getting very hot. I am usually patient with my phones but quirks like this, purple photos, average battery life, and overheating is starting to become unacceptable. I guess metal design is overrated but even my Nexus One never had this deformality from overheating.

Guess it is time to sell the M7 and get a Sony Xperia Z3.

sony-xperia-z3-compact-blackb-sny-z3c.jpg

kaz-hirai-playstation-4.jpg

New rankings -

1. Google
2. Sony
3. Xiaomi
4. HTC
5. Asus
6. Nokia

I am also seriously getting a Windows Phone again even a 2013 model like the Nokia Lumia 1020 which probably still has the best camera found on a smartphone. And the price should be reasonable these days...

ChazUK

macrumors 603
Feb 3, 2008
Essex (UK)
Being a previous Nexus One, S, Galaxy Nexus, Nexus 4 and now a Nexus 5 owner, I only could go one way.

Singular OEM wise, Sony really are the best alternative to Apple out there today, I long for a Sony made Nexus.

ozaz

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 27, 2011
Even though I voted for them myself, am genuinely surprised how well Sony are doing in this poll (leading with 23% at the moment). It's been my impression over the past few years that Sony doesn't get much love......maybe that's changing with the Z3 series.

Also expected a lot more than 15% to vote "No. I don't have a favourite".

flameproof

macrumors 6502a
Jan 14, 2011
Google
Innovative
Always the first in line for updates
No bloatware (Samsung, are you listening)
Really good price

Pity the Nexus 6 is too big....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.