Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jonr

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 19, 2014
Hello

I have a Late 2012 Mac Mini and want to upgrade the HDD to SSD - I was thinking of a Crucial M550 512GB (part #: CT512M550SSD1). I wanted to go for a complete replacement not build a hybrid drive. Can I just go ahead and replace it or do I have to do something with the fan pin out i.e. use a jumper? A friend told me he thought I had to do this as the fan will spin constantly due to the temp sensor not getting a signal.

Many thanks for any input.

JamesPDX

Suspended
Aug 26, 2014
USA
Hello

I have a Late 2012 Mac Mini and want to upgrade the HDD to SSD - I was thinking of a Crucial M550 512GB (part #: CT512M550SSD1). I wanted to go for a complete replacement not build a hybrid drive. Can I just go ahead and replace it or do I have to do something with the fan pin out i.e. use a jumper? A friend told me he thought I had to do this as the fan will spin constantly due to the temp sensor not getting a signal.

Many thanks for any input.

Sorry this is so late. Replace the HD with an SSD. The temp sensor attaches with sticky stuff, not a pin/jumper.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.