Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Next Gen Nerd

macrumors newbie
Oct 20, 2012
I plan to buy Warcraft III Rein of Chaos and The Frozen Throne from Best Buy today, will it not work on my Mountain Lion (10.8.2) Mac Book Pro?
If I try a transfer method from another Mac (below 10.6) that had installed Warcraft 3 RoC and TFT to my ML Mac, will it then work?

Operationlvy

macrumors newbie
Nov 29, 2012
San Francisco, CA
WC3 transfer

Just got a new Mac and transferred over Warcraft III via Migration Assistant (along with all applications, but not the users).

When connecting to Bnet, it gives the "Tried to install to HD, check if space is available" error. This error was common with Vista, the fix was to run it as an administrator.

I assume this error is because of an administrator user issue, since I created a new user on the new Mac and transferred only the Applications with Migration Assistant.

Any way to get around this and not have to re-install via the methods described in this thread?

8000rpm

macrumors regular
Jan 14, 2011
Any official updates? I bought a retina and ill be selling it of I can't get TFT to play. I have it installed on an 11 iMac at home and on several ssds I swap from alienwares I've bought recently so I have several installed patched and playable copies.

I downloaded from bnet but it downloads somewhere and there's no icons to click .. Not sure where to begin ...

8000rpm

macrumors regular
Jan 14, 2011
I do have a copy of snow leopard I purchased a long time ago.. Can I reinstall snow leopard.. Install TFT patch it and then upgrade it to the current os?

8000rpm

macrumors regular
Jan 14, 2011
Well I just copied the wc3 folder onto a USB stick from my iMac and pasted it into the app folder on my new retina mbp 15. Clicked the TFT logo and it fires up and works perfectly :)

I'm not one to give advice but what I did is :

On an older Mac (2011 iMac 27)
Log onto bnet
Download wc3
Download TFT (into wc3 folder)
Open TFT let it update and played a quick game online

Copy entire wc3 folder and paste onto thumb drive
Copy/paste from thumb drive into app folder in MacBook Pro
Open app folder, click into wc3 folder and click the TFT icon.

Hope it helps anyone.

Schranke

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2010
Copenhagen, Denmark
Well I just copied the wc3 folder onto a USB stick from my iMac and pasted it into the app folder on my new retina mbp 15. Clicked the TFT logo and it fires up and works perfectly :)

Log onto bnet
Download wc3

Hope it helps anyone.

if this help i need to find some 1 with SL since i do not have one anymore..
damm i miss wc3

sniffs

macrumors regular
Jan 24, 2013

Log onto bnet
Download wc3

Hope it helps anyone.

Couldn't this theoritically work for Diablo II And D2: LOD?

Dominique89

macrumors newbie
Jul 29, 2013
Mac problems

I am on a 10.8 macbook pro and installed warcraft and frozen throne by installing it on an older version and moving it across. But I am still having problems actually playing the game.

The game starts up fine but if I go into settings it freaks out and I have to force quit the application.

I play this game mostly at lans but the lan function isn't working properly either. I cant see others games and I also cant start a game myself. When I try it just resets to the main screen. I tried installing the modified files from SiDVacant but it still doesn't fix my issue.

Any ideas :mad:

hlongo

macrumors newbie
Aug 2, 2013
Warcraft 3 - my PC will not recognize/see another game on mac

We have been trying to play warcraft 3 on our PC against a player in the same home on his mac. Any suggestions?

Tigrao

macrumors member
Jun 1, 2012
I hope that you're joking :(:(:mad:

Unfortunately, I am not joking. I am hoping it is just my machine, but I don't have another 10.9 machine to test with. I may end up having a Mountain Lion and a Mavericks partition on my machine after the final release, just so I can continue to play Warcraft III network games.

Jovian9

macrumors 68000
Feb 19, 2003
Planet Zebes
Update to this thread for those who love WC3:

2013 27" iMac
OSX Mavericks (GM build)

Tonight I downloaded and installed WC3 ROC and WC3 TFT directly from my battle.net account on Blizzards website directly to a G4 iMac running OSX Tiger 10.4.11. I installed the patches and ran the game (everything was working as well as battle.net).

I copied the entire WC3 folder (in the applications folder) onto a thumb drive and put it onto my new iMac. After first running WC3 it took a moment and the screen flashed a few times and the game started. I changed the settings to match the display and it is running great and looks great. Both ROC and TFT are working fine and playable.

.....except battle.net. It will not connect. I've attached the error. For me this is okay b/c I don't use that aspect of the game. But for others this will obviously be an issue.

Attachments

• wc3 bnet error.jpg
    wc3 bnet error.jpg
    349.5 KB · Views: 743

Tigrao

macrumors member
Jun 1, 2012
2013 27" iMac
OSX Mavericks (GM build)

.....except battle.net. It will not connect. I've attached the error. For me this is okay b/c I don't use that aspect of the game. But for others this will obviously be an issue.

Yeah... Mavericks obviously changed something with the networking layer and Warcraft 3 doesn't even know that there is a network card in the system anymore. I hope that we can figure out how to make the game recognize a network card in Mavericks...

goMac

Contributor
Apr 15, 2004
Mavericks removed Open Transport, which was shared with OS 9 about a decade ago. Given that WCIII was coded for OS 9 and OS X, and it's pretty old, I'm thinking there is a good chance Open Transport being cut killed the network capabilities.

iLog.Genius

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
Mavericks removed Open Transport, which was shared with OS 9 about a decade ago. Given that WCIII was coded for OS 9 and OS X, and it's pretty old, I'm thinking there is a good chance Open Transport being cut killed the network capabilities.

This. Apple isn't going to fix this (they removed Open Transport for their reasons) which leaves Blizzard to write an update/patch and Warcraft III being such an old game, it's not likely they'll be doing this anytime soon.

iG.

macrumors newbie
Nov 3, 2013
Does anyone know how to fix the black minimap?

Hi everyone,

I would like to thank all of you for your input, but I am still facing a problem with Warcraft 3. I own a 13' MB Pro (OS X 10.8.5) bought in september of this year and I successfully installed War3 by copying the files from my previous MB Unibody bought four years ago (OS X 10.6). The game runs just fine and I can log onto Bnet but some icons and the in-game minimap are black.

I tried re-installing the game, same thing happens.
I tried the PC version from my brother and downloaded that chinese file, same problem.

The game plays just fine but I am not enjoying the online gaming since I can't use the minimap (which makes it incredibly hard to win as you can expect). And I can't use my previous MacBook to play since my mum is using it and I am living in another town.

Does anyone know how to fix this problem?? I really want to play that game again. I guess I'll just move to StarCraft II if there is no solution...

Thanks for reading

meme1255

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 15, 2012
Czechia
Is there someway how to copy 10.8 network layer (maybe as some kind of symlink for W3) ?

Btw.: How about using wineskin wrapper? Is network working in wrapper? I'll take a look on it :)

Last edited:

arkmannj

macrumors 68000
Oct 1, 2003
UT
Don't suppose anyone has figured out how to get WIII ROC/TFT working?
Particularly on Yosemite.

onions

macrumors member
Aug 17, 2011
so, i did a clean install of yosemite and tried to install wariii but got that dreaded circle with the line through it icon over the application. so after googling the issue, i came upon this thread. One of the posts describes installing and patching the game in Snow Leopard and then copying the directory over. I remembered my previous os installation of Lion had a copy of War III patched up so I moved it over from my time machine backup and everything seems to work. Here's a screenshot:

yosemite%2Bwariii.png

THe only thing that didn't work was battle.net understandably. I'll see if there's an open transport work around and post again if anyone cares.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.