Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AppleScruff1

macrumors G4
Feb 10, 2011
I'm guessing you have no familiarity with SCM. Money has nothing to do with this. The fact that Apple can ramp up and build so many devices so quickly while maintaining quality control is nothing short of amazing. No other company in the world has to deal with this level of demand.

Samsung builds more smartphones, but the vast majority of them are relatively low tech that gets pumped out throughout the year; not quite the same thing as meeting demand for hundreds of millions of their latest Galaxy and Note series in one quarter.

When has Apple sold hundreds of millions of iPhones in one quarter?

AppleScruff1

macrumors G4
Feb 10, 2011
Of course supply will be limited. These new iPads will be the best yet, and consumers will be desperate to upgrade to take advantage of all the amazing new features and technologies inside.

If you want to own an iPad Air 2 this year, then you better be quick getting your order in. I know I'll be ordering the second I get the opportunity.

Demand for these products will be off-the-charts.

Of course you will. You'd be ordering them even if they just changed the model number and left everything else the same.

zipa

macrumors 65816
Feb 19, 2010
Which they do. Every year they keep making more iPhones and sell more of them. It's simply every year the demand is stronger than the expectation

I don't think so. The biggest problem is that the demand is so clustered around the launch. You can't plan your capacity based on the 8-10 weeks of total craze that comes after the launch, because then you'd have 75 % of your factories and workforce doing diddly squat for the remaining 40-45 weeks of the year.

ErikGrim

macrumors 603
Jun 20, 2003
Brisbane, Australia
Bookmark this:

Apple Macintosh 23.8" 4096x2160 IGZO, soldered ram, pcie ssd only (actually propertary m.2 ssd), cpu from i5+irispro 5200 to i7+ nVidia 980m (top bto model).

NO iMac 27 5K period, maybe also not iMac 27 again (or at least not before q4'15), apple will sell 5k display for Mac Pro maybe sharp branded, next cinema display maybe 4k only and have no Thunderbolt or 1 Thunderbolt + 1 display port (the info on the follow on cinema display it's uncertain).

Oh the lulz.

partouse

macrumors newbie
Oct 19, 2014
I wish Apple had given a release date for the iPad Air 2 so I could plan accordingly. I almost pre-ordered it, till I saw they use Standard shipping, which I assume means they would send it via USPS. I live in an area with shoddy USPS service. They typically can't be bothered to deliver packages or leave notices. Of course they don't allow same day pickup as they pretend they are trying to do their jobs. That's what usually happens to Amazon Prime packages since Amazon started relying on them for deliveries. I wouldn't trust the post office with something as desirable and expensive as an iPad.

The vague release date means people aren't camping in front of the stores yet so I should be able to get an iPad in store when they go on sale. Inventory for the larger storage models doesn't run out as quickly as the cheaper ones, right?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.