Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

megalaser

macrumors 6502
Nov 17, 2009
Does the LG 34UM95 wake from sleep OK if you move the mouse? I have the 6 core 2013 Mac Pro as well and am thinking of the same monitor you have, at the moment I am using 2 X 27 inch iMacs in target display mode as monitors and only one of them wakes from sleep. Thanks

kendrickhphoto

macrumors member
Jan 20, 2011
To update everyone, I updated my Mac Pro to Yosemite; however the issue is still occurring. So, Yosemite changed nothing about this issue. I also checked with someone else using this monitor and a 2013 Mac Pro connected via TB, and they said they do not have this issue, and the monitor works as it should. So, it looks like mine is an isolated issue, and no one has a clue how to fix it :(

This is doing the same for me, along with not recognizing when I switch to the Thunderbolt input from Displayport. I have my work computer hooked up during the day with the Mac Pro running on my other monitors but still connected to this display. I try to switch over and it won't recognize that it is there at all. I have to unplug my work computer from the display (have tried Displayport and HDMI) and reboot the Mac Pro with the input set to Thunderbolt to get it to show anything.

Oh, and don't buy it from Tiger Direct, they have it in stock but don't allow returns. You have to contact LG directly and they make you send it in for repair before you can do a defective return. That defective return has to fall into the 30 day window from when you purchased it including all the time they take to get it back to you.

- Creating a shipping label and emailing it to you takes 2 days.
- Shipping is via UPS Ground and takes ~3 days.
- Repair work takes 7-10 business days.
- Shipping back to you takes ~3 days.

10 business days could theoretically be 16 total days + 8 more for shipping = 24 days.

B1ueB1aze

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 22, 2013
Does the LG 34UM95 wake from sleep OK if you move the mouse? I have the 6 core 2013 Mac Pro as well and am thinking of the same monitor you have, at the moment I am using 2 X 27 inch iMacs in target display mode as monitors and only one of them wakes from sleep. Thanks

It does wake from sleep just fine. And while its a beautiful display; I just can't recommend it if you're going to use Thunderbolt with it due to this issue though. Along with LG support being nothing but terrible.

This is doing the same for me, along with not recognizing when I switch to the Thunderbolt input from Displayport. I have my work computer hooked up during the day with the Mac Pro running on my other monitors but still connected to this display. I try to switch over and it won't recognize that it is there at all. I have to unplug my work computer from the display (have tried Displayport and HDMI) and reboot the Mac Pro with the input set to Thunderbolt to get it to show anything.

Oh, and don't buy it from Tiger Direct, they have it in stock but don't allow returns. You have to contact LG directly and they make you send it in for repair before you can do a defective return. That defective return has to fall into the 30 day window from when you purchased it including all the time they take to get it back to you.

- Creating a shipping label and emailing it to you takes 2 days.
- Shipping is via UPS Ground and takes ~3 days.
- Repair work takes 7-10 business days.
- Shipping back to you takes ~3 days.

10 business days could theoretically be 16 total days + 8 more for shipping = 24 days.

I've been thinking about picking up a DispkayPort to Mini DisplayPort cable. Is it possible for you to try the DisplayPort with your Mac Pro and let me know if it works?

Thanks

Last edited:

mintakax

macrumors regular
Dec 19, 2013
I was just about to throw down on this monitor to use with my nMP and I thought, " better check with Mac Rumours first ". Good thing I did !
I'm going to wait until it's actually compatible.

kendrickhphoto

macrumors member
Jan 20, 2011
It does wake from sleep just fine. And while its a beautiful display; I just can't recommend it if you're going to use Thunderbolt with it due to this issue though. Along with LG support being nothing but terrible.

I've been thinking about picking up a DispkayPort to Mini DisplayPort cable. Is it possible for you to try the DisplayPort with your Mac Pro and let me know if it works?

Thanks

I just tried and it's giving me the same issues. Even if that did help for me though it wouldn't be an option because the work computer stays hooked up in the Displayport spot and the HDMI is only 30 Hz. For the cost of the monitor and them touting Mac Pro compatibility on the box it is unacceptable that you should have to do any work arounds.

B1ueB1aze

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 22, 2013
I just tried and it's giving me the same issues. Even if that did help for me though it wouldn't be an option because the work computer stays hooked up in the Displayport spot and the HDMI is only 30 Hz. For the cost of the monitor and them touting Mac Pro compatibility on the box it is unacceptable that you should have to do any work arounds.

Thanks for trying it out. At this point, I'm going to get a different monitor. Between the issue with the monitor, false advertising and the worst support I've ever experienced; LG has lost a customer.

kendrickhphoto

macrumors member
Jan 20, 2011
Thanks for trying it out. At this point, I'm going to get a different monitor. Between the issue with the monitor, false advertising and the worst support I've ever experienced; LG has lost a customer.

I completely agree, mine is already on the way back. The other issue I have with this monitor is the fact that from where I'm sitting it is too wide to use comfortably which may be a non issue for everyone else. The lack of VESA mount on the 97 is holding me back on that even though.

I'm actually getting rid of the Mac Pro now since it's a base model and going with a maxed out Retina iMac. It is coming in $10 cheaper but comes with a mouse, keyboard, and a 5k display. I have a 27" Cinema Display that I'm going to use with a converter for my work computer and a Thunderbolt display that will give me plenty of resolution. My Late 2013 iMac maxed out that I had before the Mac Pro scored 1500 points higher in Geekbench so I'm guessing the new 4.0 GHz processor is going to score a bit higher than the 3.5 GHz that was in the iMac.

B1ueB1aze

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 22, 2013
Hey,

I'm going to update everyone about what's going on. I did get a new monitor, the Asus PB287Q to be exact, and it's also having the same issue. So, I tested the LG out on my brothers computer, and it works fine. His computer is custom built by him, and not a Mac. So, it is definitely an issue with the Mac Pro now.

Today, I took it to the Apple Store, and a Genius took a look at it. He ran some hardware tests that came back fine. He also tested it with an Apple Thunderbolt Display, and another display with a VGA to display port adapter, and they both worked fine. There was nothing else he could do, as the hardware checked out and it works with those displays. He thought it might just be the drivers now.

I'm back to square one now, with only partially working display support. I was told engineering isn't even working on the issue. This is extremely disappointing as I've never had monitors cause an issue with any other computer. For a "Pro" desktop, you'd think 4k display support would be solid, however with the Mac Pro at this point it's very poor.

The only way to get this resolved is if others would please call Apple and let them know about this issue. Otherwise, the issue will never be fixed, and 4k support will continue to remain lacking.

megalaser

macrumors 6502
Nov 17, 2009
I'm using the Samsung 28 inch 4K, it wakes from sleep fine but when I reboot it does not wake up unless I press the button on the back of the monitor. I have a 2013 Mac Pro with the D700 card.

kendrickhphoto

macrumors member
Jan 20, 2011
I'm definitely glad about my decision to go with the Retina iMac. It's running my 27" Cinema Display and Thunderbolt display perfectly. It's frustrating that a top of the line Pro machine has trouble like this but I will enjoy my iMac for now and look at the next iteration of the Mac Pro hopefully with an updated Thunderbolt Display to go along with it.

B1ueB1aze

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 22, 2013
I'm using the Samsung 28 inch 4K, it wakes from sleep fine but when I reboot it does not wake up unless I press the button on the back of the monitor. I have a 2013 Mac Pro with the D700 card.

That sounds similar to my issue. if you don't see the Apple boot splash then this issue is most likely occurring. If you could, please call Apple and let them know about this issue. Also, if you do call, tell them about this thread. It's the only way to get Apple to listen and add support for these monitors.

Thank you

calaverasgrande

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2010
Brooklyn, New York.
It's coming up on a year since the release of the Mac Pro and still no solid monitor solution?
I was one of the first in line for these, but I am starting to regret it. I need to get work done, not research displays.

I remember the first time I was able to get an Apple display to misbehave with a Mac. Used to be you could not do that!
Please Apple lets get back to that state, where it plugs in, works perfectly and you get to work.
(no the old TBD is not the solution!)

Last edited:

megalaser

macrumors 6502
Nov 17, 2009
There is a solid display from Apple, the Thunderbolt display, they haven't promised anything else . . . . There is loads of choice from other manufacturers, 4K is pretty new still but I think next year the prices will be coming down and we will see a TON of choices in 4K monitors, Apple have it seems unfortunately chosen to not be part of this display market, when they introduced the 5K iMac and no new Thunderbolt display at the recent media event I took that as a signal to look to other manufacturers for monitors from now on. The way I see it we are lucky they brought out the Mac Pro because their Pro division is getting marginalized by consumer, you can also see this from the Mac Mini update, they got rid of the server and didn't even increase the RAM capacity beyond 16GB . . .

calaverasgrande

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2010
Brooklyn, New York.
it seems to have been decreed from on high that the computer is dead. We all must use personal devices now.
I suppose you will also edit video, code and produce records on your ipad in the future.
Right now I just want to be able to buy a display that works without having to engage in hacks.
it seems that whenever I settle on a known good model, I find a thread on Macrumors or apple support detailing what you have to do to actually get it to work at stated resolution.
I get that Apple may never release a stand alone display during the lifetime of my just paid off Mac Pro. But you would think they would work with LG, Asus etc to validate their products.
The 'verified' list of 4k/uhd displays is ludicrously short. There are literally dozens of more models out there!
As far as the TBD, it just isn't a viable solution to pay that much for a display that doesn't vesa mount or have height adjustment. I'd rather get one of those Planar look alikes.
I was going to pick up the LG 34um94 but now I am seeing complaints about that one as well.

megalaser

macrumors 6502
Nov 17, 2009
The problem is that the list of monitors that work flawlessly is ludicrously short and Apple won't recommend any that don't work properly. I am pretty happy with my pair of Samsung 28 inch 4K ones, they will do me until something better comes along, probably next year because it is early days with this product, anyone who buys a 4K display is an early adopter. They're expensive prototypes at the moment unfortunately.

megalaser

macrumors 6502
Nov 17, 2009
I don't see any need to be embarrassed by proxy for Apple if there is an incompatibility between a Mac Pro and a non-qualifying monitor that was released 8 months after their Mac Pro, I would be more embarrassed for LG if they claim that it's compatible.

ThoreEliasson

macrumors newbie
Oct 21, 2014
It's not LG in my case, just another 4K monitor.
Embarrassed because Apple promoted the nMP hugely on 4K capabilities. Being restricted to just a few models while all others seem to be working just fine in Windows is...well...

megalaser

macrumors 6502
Nov 17, 2009
Well Windows has always been much more compatible with a wider range of peripherals than Apple, what's your monitor and if you can describe the problem with it please and which model of graphic card is in your NMP?

brentsg

macrumors 68040
Oct 15, 2008
It's not LG in my case, just another 4K monitor.
Embarrassed because Apple promoted the nMP hugely on 4K capabilities. Being restricted to just a few models while all others seem to be working just fine in Windows is...well...

First off, the LG that this thread is about isn't 4k. It's 3440x1440..

Second, the display has been having all kinds of problems with Displayport and wake/sleep across a lot of different products including PCs. It's not limited to Apple by any means.

megalaser

macrumors 6502
Nov 17, 2009
So that's a few people that are squarely blaming Apple but not saying which monitor that are having the problem with other than it's 'not LG' - so, which monitor are we talking about?

calaverasgrande

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2010
Brooklyn, New York.
That is kind of the bone of contention I have to pick.
This NMP is supposed to be able to drive multiple 4k monitors. Yet it seems like everyone is having issues getting it to drive anything bigger than a TBD.
Of course part of that is my own confirmation bias, and part of it is the well known phenomena that people who buy a product are less likely to post online if it works perfectly. Only the complainers do!
But I bought this Mac planning on hooking up at least two large displays. Yet every model I settle on (like the 34um95) seems to have a special batch of issues.
There is also the Samsung 4k TN display with tearing, and 30hz only problems.

Apologies for my venting, but I thought I'd have a display by now!

More on topic, has anyone returned a 34UM95 for a 34UM94?
I've read elsewhere that the latter model is supposed to address some of the shortcomings of the 95.
I dig the form factor and aspect ratio of this LG monitor. I really want to dent my credit card with it. (plus it actually has VESA mount, unlike most of the newer Samsung UHD/QHD/4k?)

megalaser

macrumors 6502
Nov 17, 2009
The tearing on the Samsung 28 inch 4K was resolved with Yosemite, I have two of them, they run at 60z with a minidisplayport to display port cable and seem great for the price. Apple says that the Pro can drive two 4K 60z displays if they are on separate buses (there are 3 buses), if you add a third 4K display it will only run at 30hz. The LG34M95 is not 4K of course, I was considering one until I saw the complaints about backlight bleed and clicking sounds. If you want some 4K's now that are a good price and work with the Pro there are the Samsungs or ASUS 28 inch TFT's, for around 2.5X the price there are the big ASUS ones and if you want full qualification by Apple there is the Sharp. Aside from that there will be more choice next year. I actually think Apple have been specific about the ones they qualify, a lot of people are blaming Apple instead of the display manufacturers, it's them who should be making sure their products work with the Mac Pro because some do and perhaps they should follow their lead.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.