Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tengorazon

macrumors regular
Sep 30, 2012
My 2013 rMBP (2.4ghz, 8gb RAM, 256gb SSD) arrived on Friday, so I spent yesterday setting it up with the LG 34UM95 monitor (34 inches), apple bluetooth keyboard, and apple bluetooth magic trackpad. This is an awesome setup. When I ordered the monitor, I thought it might be too big, but it's actually a great size.

This is my first Mac, though I've had 3 iPhones over the years (currently an iPhone 6) that have sort of served as a gateway drug. My college also had the colorful iMacs everywhere on campus to check e-mail way back in 2001, so it's not my first time using a Mac, but it's been a while. Upon setting everything up, first I had to figure out why there were two power cords and why the larger one didn't seem to fit the computer. Lol that one took a while. Then I had to figure out right clicking, which is easy enough with touch to click (I've forgotten how to do it without touch to click though). Then I had to google the Mac equivalent of ctrl+alt+del. And I still don't know why it was so difficult to figure out how to view my remaining hard drive space.

But anyway, I'm loving it so far. Everything just works so seamlessly, and I love the interconnectivity with my iPhone. The trackpad with its gestures is also great. Hopefully this computer will give me several years of good service.

fskywalker

macrumors 65816
Nov 6, 2009
hey, I would like to think about refurbished but in Turkey, apple online store doesn't sell refurbished product unfortunately. I am buying from education store so it nearly costs the same as amazon however I cannot go for 256gb ssd. I think I am gonna change my mac to the 2.6 ghz/16gb/128gb model.
I can think about ssd later. what do you think?

thanks!

Sounds like a good plan. SSD can be purchase in Ebay or elsewhere, so you can certainly do that later.

HyperliteG4

macrumors regular
Jul 18, 2002
Southern California
I was going to hold out for the Broadwell's but it seems they are too far off still so I broke down and bought a (nearly) top of the line 15" rMBP to replace my 2010 refurb that has been seemingly on it's last legs for the past few months.

Adorama has a killer deal right now, no tax and they throw in AppleCare and a iTunes gift card for the normal price of the computer, so I got a 15", 2.5GHz, 16GB RAM and 1TB SSD and saved $500-$600 if I would have bought it here in California.

Here is a link to all the deals, you can't find them just by browsing Adorama's website: http://appleinsider.com/articles/14...-25-itunes-gift-card-and-no-tax-in-48-states-

slowman

macrumors newbie
Oct 13, 2014
Well just bought my first MacBook Pro today! Ended up going with the Mid 2014 13 inch 256 gb. I bought one of the aluminum unibody MacBooks back in 2008 or something but only had it for a week or two after realizing it wasn't a wise purchase given my $$ situation back then. But now I'll be a happy owner as soon as the new one arrives.

Can't wait to see the screen!

HereBeMonsters

macrumors 6502
Jul 5, 2012
Fareham, UK
The latest macbook that can have both the Ram and SSD upgraded and features an Optcal drive is the Mid 2012 (june,july etc)Non retina Macbook pro.

I presume your after a 13", the safest way to get one of these is of the Apple refurb store. As your in the Uk they are slighty harder to come by but you can use a website called refurb tracker and it will email you as soon as your pacific model is available on Apples refurb store.

If you were after the 15" i would say you may as well get the retina model new from amazon as you can get a new 15" with retina,haswell and 16 gigs of ram for an extra £200 than apples refurbed non retina.
Also the SSD's on the retina can be be upgraded just not of yet, as no 3rd party companys have made a replacement but they will in the future.
Hope this helps.

Thanks for the reply. If I was going for one without an optical drive, I'll wait until after the October event - at least until they start shipping with Yosemite anyway!

I just really like having an optical drive. I'll regularly pick up a DVD when I'm travelling, and like to be able to watch it on my laptop.

About 5 years ago a friend of mine was working at Dell, he got me a very cheap mini laptop to replace my Powerbook G4. I've since upgraded it to 16GB RAM, SSD hard drive and 64-bit Win 7, but every time I go away I take the Powerbook still...poor old thing!

Macmark93

macrumors member
Sep 30, 2014
Thanks for the reply. If I was going for one without an optical drive, I'll wait until after the October event - at least until they start shipping with Yosemite anyway!

I just really like having an optical drive. I'll regularly pick up a DVD when I'm travelling, and like to be able to watch it on my laptop.

About 5 years ago a friend of mine was working at Dell, he got me a very cheap mini laptop to replace my Powerbook G4. I've since upgraded it to 16GB RAM, SSD hard drive and 64-bit Win 7, but every time I go away I take the Powerbook still...poor old thing!

Yeah, I was like you originally i was more interested in the regular macbook. The only reason why I bought the retina is because I came across a great deal on one. I got to say tho I couldn't go back to a regular now, these retina models are amazing. I picked the mid 2014 base 15'' with 16 gigs of ram up for under £1300. Which ever you get will be spot on but if you really want the original I would advise not to try the retina as it will probably make you go for the rmbp.

However if you ''like me'' come across a good deal on a retina one, and if your only concern is the optical drive, you can pick up a good external optical drive for £30 of amazon. I know you say you like it for travelling, but you could always put the external drive and the macbook in a sleeve case with a pocket. That would allow you to have the optical drive running in the pocket whilst your travelling. Obviously this wouldn't be as practical but its still possible to do on the retina model.

Having the non retina machine also has its advantages, so i'm not trying to convince you to buy the retina. I am just trying to help you explore your options but both are solid!

slowman

macrumors newbie
Oct 13, 2014
My MacBook Pro just arrived! Holy crap this thing is beautiful. Best laptop I've ever seen/used. The screen is amazing. I'm going to use this machine more than my PC gaming rig/workhorse with i7-4770k, GTX 770, SSD, and 16 GB of RAM lol.

Oh and the trackpad, sooooo nice!

MPclk2006

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2013
Texas
Just got my Macbook Pro in the mail today while I was at work, came home and been "setting it up" since. I updated to Yosemite and its working out pretty well, I did not like the fact that I cannot use two fingers for "right click" but now I use the bottom right corner instead.

I still have my Macbook I bought a year ago (bought that mid 09 version for $240 on Amazon and it is still holding on strong, nothing wrong with it other than the battery needs replacing). Thinking about keeping both!

opo101

macrumors member
Apr 9, 2008
My 2011 i7 15" MBP bit the dust also! Lots of this happening lately! :(

I needed a computer right away for a project so I ran to the Apple store and bought the high end 15". It was almost $3000 with tax! Ouch! I returned that because I found a 2012 (15" 2.7GHz, 16GB 768) on CL for waaay under $2000. It still has a year of Applecare so I was stoked. A week in, I realized it had the IR problem, but got the screen replaced and the new screen is awesome!

I've been a mac user since the mid 80s and this is my first glossy screen Mac. However, I'm not a fan of the glossy so put on an anti-glare film. It doesn't degrade the image or colour at all. Happy once again!

From the archives, the Apple family (can you guess the contents?)...

How do you find the anti glare? & where did you get it?

MasterHowl

macrumors 65816
Oct 3, 2010
North of England
Just bought a new 15 inch rMBP :D it's the quad-core i7, 512 GB SSD version.

I couldn't be happier with it so far. The design of the machine is beautiful, and the screen... what can you say? It's a very very nice piece of engineering.

It's seriously ridiculously fast compared to my mid-2009 MacBook Pro. Couldn't be happier.

tivoboy

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2005
Just got my Macbook Pro in the mail today while I was at work, came home and been "setting it up" since. I updated to Yosemite and its working out pretty well, I did not like the fact that I cannot use two fingers for "right click" but now I use the bottom right corner instead.

I still have my Macbook I bought a year ago (bought that mid 09 version for $240 on Amazon and it is still holding on strong, nothing wrong with it other than the battery needs replacing). Thinking about keeping both!

why can't you use two fingers for right click, is that trackpad setting removed for some reason in Yosemite?

MPclk2006

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2013
Texas
why can't you use two fingers for right click, is that trackpad setting removed for some reason in Yosemite?

Its "available", and I checked the settings and it was checked but I could not use the two finger right click, I had to use the "click on the bottom right" option instead...it is very weird because now when I go back and forth between Macbooks, I have different settings going on, haha.

royalgfx1

macrumors member
Nov 3, 2007
I just basically went to the store and bought the 15-inch: 2.5GHz, 512HD. It's sitting in its box, unopened. I'm contemplating whether I did the right thing. I own a 2011 MBP, specced as in signature (8GB ram, though).

I did it, because my keyboard is missing two keys, the graphics glitch strictly in the boot up, but not when using the laptop, Ableton buffers and can't handle multiple third party plug ins. My 2011 also burns my legs. I'm sick of throwing money at it, in the form on new fans and new battery. I could put in an SSD, but that'll needa be like 400 bucks.

I feel bad about this purchase. I don't know why.

puke

macrumors 6502
Dec 30, 2007
Sweden
I just ordered:

15-tums MacBook Pro med Retina-skärm

Hårdvara
2,8 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7, Turbo Boost upp till 4,0 GHz
16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3L SDRAM
512 GB PCIe-baserad flashlagring
Intel Iris Pro Graphics och NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M med 2 GB GDDR5-minne

Thunderbolt Display 27"
Apple Wireless Keyboard
Apple Trackpad

Going to opt for Wireless headphones, any tips?

//J

royalgfx1

macrumors member
Nov 3, 2007
a 2.8 in a 15 inch? Huh?

They max at 2.5ghz.

edit. im an idiot. forgot about customisation.

Last edited:

nealh

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2010
I just basically went to the store and bought the 15-inch: 2.5GHz, 512HD. It's sitting in its box, unopened. I'm contemplating whether I did the right thing. I own a 2011 MBP, specced as in signature (8GB ram, though).

I did it, because my keyboard is missing two keys, the graphics glitch strictly in the boot up, but not when using the laptop, Ableton buffers and can't handle multiple third party plug ins. My 2011 also burns my legs. I'm sick of throwing money at it, in the form on new fans and new battery. I could put in an SSD, but that'll needa be like 400 bucks.

I feel bad about this purchase. I don't know why.

I get this kind of guilt as well with a big purchase. Sounds like your laptop was on its last legs and you deserved this upgrade.

Open and enjoy it. Don't look back!

Cancelled
May 29, 2005
Since an identical Mac mini was $900, I ordered a 13" 2.6 256GB 8GB Macbook pro for $1358 from macmall.com. Might as well pay a bit more and get a retina screen, keyboard, touchpad, and battery, plus most likely way better resale value since this is probably the "Toyota Camry" of Macbook Pro's.

royalgfx1

macrumors member
Nov 3, 2007
I get this kind of guilt as well with a big purchase. Sounds like your laptop was on its last legs and you deserved this upgrade.

Open and enjoy it. Don't look back!

2 days after buying it. It's still sitting there. Taunting me. Jesus, Lord, help me.

Wiesenlooser

macrumors 6502a
Jul 9, 2010
Just bought a 13 inch retina macbook pro for college. Was heading towards the Air but that screen just looked terrible compared to the retina.

Yosemite looks absolutely gorgeous on it. Only gripe is that I am nowhere near 9 hours of battery life?

I am at 66% and have 3 hours remaining. Screen is at 50%. Well I will still give it a few cycles for the battery to get to full potential.

But is this normal?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.