Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

EdMan

macrumors 6502a
Oct 17, 2011
Michigan
As I type this response on my iPad 3 while awaiting my Air 2 I can certainly say the 3 has been a very good companion until I made the mistake of putting iOS 8 on it. I never knew it was suppose to be a bad device until I started reading that it was crap on here.

Granted it now freezes all the time and Safari is sometimes crazy slow my feeling is it has been a very good device.

ZBoater

macrumors G3
Jul 2, 2007
Sunny Florida
Assuming 2GB RAM...is the Air 2 the Longevity Model?

Out of nothing but curiosity, why does having only 1GB RAM cause tabs to need to reload?

Maybe people are using a browser that doesn't have options like...

emahyheq.jpg

rotation

macrumors member
Oct 16, 2014
Los Angeles
The iPad Air works great with 1GB I don't see it as a "bad buy" just because safari refreshes tabs lol.

You guys are crazy. Ipad 4 sucks right now you would take it over an Air? Please let me trade you mine!!

rkuo

macrumors 65816
Sep 25, 2010
Did you maybe try another browser?

I will grant that any well optimized app can probably decrease the RAM it needs. I prefer the stock browser for a number of reasons.

----------

The iPad Air works great with 1GB I don't see it as a "bad buy" just because safari refreshes tabs lol.

You guys are crazy. Ipad 4 sucks right now you would take it over an Air? Please let me trade you mine!!

It works well now, but if iOS ever adds multitasking that 1GB is going to look pretty sorry.

rotation

macrumors member
Oct 16, 2014
Los Angeles
I will grant that any well optimized app can probably decrease the RAM it needs. I prefer the stock browser for a number of reasons.

----------

It works well now, but if iOS ever adds multitasking that 1GB is going to look pretty sorry.

Multitasking is about the dumbest, most useless feature on android. How much dumb crap do you want simultaneously on the screen? If you want desktop multitasking buy an iMac

michael31986

macrumors 601
Jul 11, 2008
This is kind of how I see things as well. The iPad 1 was definitely crippled, but it was a completely new type of device and you missed out on that experience for over a year by waiting. The iPad 2 would not have been all that long-lived had it not been for the fact that Apple decided to keep it around for educational and corporate use due to the 30-pin connector. For the average user it was a very minor upgrade - especially considering most of the limitations at that point were in software, not hardware.

I went from the iPad 1 to the 4 - which in my mind was the first time the hardware and software really got in alignment and it started to become my main personal computing device. I only went to the Air because it was such a leap in design that it felt like the first device that was really what the iPad was envisioned to be from the start - ie. the first iPad that was effortless to hold all day.

The Air 2 builds on that, but I honestly see it as another incremental improvement. Don't get me wrong, I'd like to have one, but at this point I'm sitting it out. Even if it has 2gb of RAM, I'm not convinced the software is yet going to be optimized for it to make much difference. I don't expect that alone to change the user experience much.

Agreed I'm waiting to see how people freak out when the 2gb ram still cause same amount of safari refreshes.

vmflapem

macrumors 6502
Dec 27, 2013
iPad air 2 has 1GB of RAM. Why does everyone assume that it has 2GB?
As for the longevity, it will not live long because the new iPad Pro will have 2GB or higher RAM.
The leaked image showing the 2GB of RAM is NOT for the new ipad air 2.

rotation

macrumors member
Oct 16, 2014
Los Angeles

As for the longevity, it will not live long because the new iPad Pro will have 2GB or higher RAM.

It has at least 2GB that is def an "A" not an "8" and there are 2 1.6ns BGA memory chips on there. It might have 4GB! Wow Samsung would look like the cheap fools they are only offering a mere 3GB.

Motawa

macrumors 6502a
Jun 24, 2012

and what are you basing it of? they never commented ram upgrade.. Not for the ipad 2 (wich got 512) and not the "new" ipad" wich got 1024.

007p

macrumors 6502a
Mar 7, 2012
It has at least 2GB that is def an "A" not an "8" and there are 2 1.6ns BGA memory chips on there. It might have 4GB! Wow Samsung would look like the cheap fools they are only offering a mere 3GB.

Be funny if that image is from an iPad pro chip. Then the iPad Air 2 has 2gb RAM, and everybody's like "I told you it had 2gb RAM, you could see it in the screenshot".

Then iPad Pro/Plus comes out in March with 4gb RAM >.<

AdonisSMU

macrumors 604
Oct 23, 2010
iPad 1: Basically a prototype, bad buy
iPad 2: Much more powerful, lasted a long time, good buy
iPad 3: Too weak to drive the retina screen, bad buy
iPad 4: Plenty of power to drive the retina screen, good buy
iPad Air: 64 Bit but 1 GB of RAM, bad buy
iPad Air 2: A8X + 2 GB of RAM...should be a really good buy that will be for sale well into the future and handle numerous iOS updates?

Thoughts?

Nope not until it gets NFC. Im not sure why Apple doesnt play the long game here. If they make this device so good they dont have to update the hardware for two years, theyll get great profit margins. Instead the devices are gimped and so people hold out. Look at how long the iPad 2 lasted.

----------

How do you know this?

Ryand123

macrumors regular
Nov 12, 2013
iPad 1: Basically a prototype, bad buy
iPad 2: Much more powerful, lasted a long time, good buy
iPad 3: Too weak to drive the retina screen, bad buy
iPad 4: Plenty of power to drive the retina screen, good buy
iPad Air: 64 Bit but 1 GB of RAM, bad buy
iPad Air 2: A8X + 2 GB of RAM...should be a really good buy that will be for sale well into the future and handle numerous iOS updates?

Thoughts?

Unless of course they do something crazy in a year or two and double the resoluation to give us a 5K or 6K iPad. Obviously I will be helpless to resist.

Jurge92

macrumors newbie
Oct 19, 2014
In this article, were they dissect an Nexus 9, Note 4 and the iPad Air 2, they say the following:

The A8X on the iPad Air 2 is supplemented by 1 GB of RAM and a new M8 motion co-processor, which also promises increased graphics performance. Whether Apple’s software optimization will be enough to make up for the 1 GB RAM remains to be seen.

If that's true, the iPad Air 2 will only get 1 GB of RAM...

rotation

macrumors member
Oct 16, 2014
Los Angeles
Assuming 2GB RAM...is the Air 2 the Longevity Model?

In this article, were they dissect an Nexus 9, Note 4 and the iPad Air 2, they say the following:

If that's true, the iPad Air 2 will only get 1 GB of RAM...

the guy in the article says he doesn't know if it's 2GB or 20MB. Reading comprehension FTW

The guy is reviewing it before he can even use it. Pretty slick Samsung.

sanke1

macrumors 65816
Nov 9, 2010
Even if Air 2 had A100X with 16GB of RAM, Apple's software engineers will make sure that the experience is adjusted in a way to make it feel outdated next year with their planned obsolescence strategy.

No iPad is future proof. Newer products will be made obsolete even faster.

vgamedude

macrumors 6502a
Dec 10, 2013
2gb is okay but not good, they should have put at least 2gb into the phone and 3 or 4gb into the tablet.

Really they could have easily stuck 4gb in both.

puma1552

Suspended
Original poster
Nov 20, 2008
2gb is okay but not good, they should have put at least 2gb into the phone and 3 or 4gb into the tablet.

Really they could have easily stuck 4gb in both.

lol yea ok, didnt take long for people to bitch:rolleyes:

xmichaelp

macrumors 68000
Jul 10, 2012
I think next year we will largely be looking at a form factor change and an A9, among other small things. And if it gets a higher PPI, therein may lie the crippling of the Air 3 if the processor can't drive a potentially upgraded display.

How would it not being able to run it? The A8x has 2.5x upgraded graphics which is lightyears faster than past models. The A9x will have no problem running a higher res display.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.