Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gødspeed

macrumors regular
Jun 11, 2009
Oregon
My Pelican 1495 arrived today, and I thought I'd give a quick review.

It's big, it's heavy, and it's built like a tank. It's kind of silly that they include a carrying strap, because I'm a big guy (6'5", 200lbs), and I look ridiculous with it hanging on my shoulder. This is the kind of case that you throw in the back of a truck along with a bunch of other gear, drive through a rainstorm and work in inclement weather, and trust to keep your laptop safe the whole time. Maybe it's for fording a river. It's not a case for taking around town, to the office, or to the coffee shop.

The built in lock is a nice touch, and I feel safe with the four latches + 2 loops for additional padlocks. I'm not a materials physicist, but I don't think anyone could break into this case without extremely specialized equipment.

I wish it were a little less bulky. Either width & height, or depth. As it is, I shaped the perforated foam blocks to let me keep the charging cable under the laptop, and three external hard drives on the side. This makes good use of the space, but I still feel like it's too big. I like that I can open the case and use the laptop in-place, keeping it off potentially wet, unstable, or scratchy ground.

Pelican is an amazing brand. There is a reason why every film production I've ever worked on relies on their cases to keep cameras, lenses, and other expensive pieces of technology safe. The idea of putting my $4000+ worth of computer equipment in a case like that is very reassuring. I foresee using this case on field productions, but it's definitely not the all-arounder that I hoped it would be.

iososx

macrumors 6502a
Aug 23, 2014
USA
The massive size and number of independent accessory companies that build and sell various items for Apple products is legendary.

It's highly likely that's why the iPhone 6 series wasn't restyled.

By reusing the same old form factor with nothing but slightly changed corner shapes, slightly thinner body and nothing truly new... they made it particularly easy for this thriving industry to continue to enjoy fat profits off robust sales.

Some things never change, Apple plays it safe. Bold moves of innovation are left for others.

Tubamajuba

macrumors 68020
Jun 8, 2011
here
The massive size and number of independent accessory companies that build and sell various items for Apple products is legendary.

It's highly likely that's why the iPhone 6 series wasn't restyled.

By reusing the same old form factor with nothing but slightly changed corner shapes, slightly thinner body and nothing truly new... they made it particularly easy for this thriving industry to continue to enjoy fat profits off robust sales.

Some things never change, Apple plays it safe. Bold moves of innovation are left for others.

We get it, you don't like Apple. No need to hijack a thread just to tell us what we all know already.

riker1384

macrumors regular
Jun 29, 2007
West Coast
Forgive me if these are newbie questions, but this thread is too long for to go through. I just bought a Macbook Pro Retina (Clearance deal on the version before this one) and I'm wondering what I should do to protect it.

I have a bag to carry it around in, but I want a case that stays on when I use it. Is there anything priced that would be much better than the popular cheap span-ons on Amazon such as the Kuzy? Are there any snap-on or similar cases that can protect from a drop?

And what's the consensus on keyboard protectors and screen protectors? Apple says not to use keyboard protectors because there isn't room and they can damage the screen when the macbook is closed. (http://support.apple.com/kb/TS4384?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US) What if I get an ultra-thin one such as this? http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007FL6100/ I mainly want to protect the computer in case of a spill.

And screen protectors, are they advised?

Also a family member got a Macbook Air 13, so the same questions apply to that.

Last edited:

MUWarrior10

macrumors member
May 7, 2014
Chicago
Forgive me if these are newbie questions, but this thread is too long for to go through. I just bought a Macbook Pro Retina (Clearance deal on the version before this one) and I'm wondering what I should do to protect it.

I have a bag to carry it around in, but I want a case that stays on when I use it. Is there anything priced that would be much better than the popular cheap span-ons on Amazon such as the Kuzy? Are there any snap-on or similar cases that can protect from a drop?

And what's the consensus on keyboard protectors and screen protectors? Apple says not to use keyboard protectors because there isn't room and they can damage the screen when the macbook is closed. (http://support.apple.com/kb/TS4384?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US) What if I get an ultra-thin one such as this? http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007FL6100/ I mainly want to protect the computer in case of a spill.

And screen protectors, are they advised?

Also a family member got a Macbook Air 13, so the same questions apply to that.

I am a huge fan of Tech21 products. I have the Tech21 Impactology on my 15" RMBP, that I would highly recommend. It is a little pricey, at 100 dollars, but I believe it is well worth the investment.

HyperliteG4

macrumors regular
Jul 18, 2002
Southern California
Purchased the Incase Icon Pack about 2 weeks ago, this is my first purchase of any incase product, and while i am please by the quality, the Icon pack being their flagship bag definitely needs some serious attention to detail and refinement.

Before going any further, I do wish to disclose that i had tried to change colors a few hours after ordering, however i was sent an email saying that they were unable to facilitate that request and that I was free to try out the grey icon pack and send it back within 30 days if i still wanted the red one. I kept the grey one for 4 days and sent it back, its been a week, waiting for a refund so that i can repurchase, because that is apparently quicker and easier then exchanges (so shipping time + credit card refund processing time + new order/new payment processing time + shipping time = less then a bloody exchange?)

Now, I LOVED the bag, it was great, but there were a few quirks. Being that this was the best bag you can buy from Incase, the zipper pulls were of the worst quality I've ever had on a bag. For heavens sake, the $30 sleeve from them has zipper pulls that are many times better, the City collection has zipper pulls that are much better, these could have been much better. The zipper pulls had started to disform just from 4 days of use. the bag was also missing things like the attached key holder that shows up in their marketing materials as well as 2 different youtube videos. And the bag did arrive with some issues in the zipper sticking

On the positive side, the bag was incredibly spacious, and seemed to be more durable then most bags I've had. And this Icon pack did have pockets galore. The back of the bag was also made from a firm memory foam like material that was great, and the pockets on either side were also well used.

Not sure if i will be re-purchasing after getting my refund, this entire experience has taken over 12 business days already and that isn't including the time that i had the bag.

I have had this bag for probably 5-6 years now, I use it daily and love it! It's gone on many trips with me as well and has always held up very well.

kfmfe04

macrumors member
Jun 19, 2010
I'm looking for a champagne/gold colored hard case for my Macbook Retina 13 2014-model.

Has anyone found a hard case that would fit the new thinner mb retina perfectly? All the hard cases I have seen fit also the older macbook retina models, which means that they can't have a perfect fit for the new one, i suppose.

amazon.co.jp has one, but you won't be able to use the keyboard cover unless you happen to have a JIS model. JPY2,680 is around USD30.

xzacm102

macrumors newbie
Apr 13, 2011
Here is is my combo that I'm very happy with: Tech21 snap on case & Acme sleeve - hate zippers !

Attachments

• IMG_0103.JPG
    IMG_0103.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 248
  • IMG_0104.jpg
    IMG_0104.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 207

dianestory2

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2014
Just picked up an amcase neoprene sleeve. Love it! It's awesome looking, as you can tell, and it's built really well, so it's gonna last a long time. My macbook fits perfectly in it, with a tiny bit of room to spare.

Attachments

• IMG_20141021_141742329_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20141021_141742329_HDR.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 127

TechZeke

macrumors 68020
Jul 29, 2012
Dallas, TX
Have been using the Waterfield Staad backpack for the past two weeks and it's absolutely amazing. Not cheap by any means, but considering I'm carrying around a $700 iPad and $2000 rMBP, it's more than worth it.

Holds my entire arsenal, including all my rMBP, iPad, all accessories and chargers, a binder, a few notebooks,plus both of my scientific and graphic calculators. The bag is super comfortable, even when carrying allot of stuff. The quick access pockets are perfectly designed and have worked flawlessly. These pockets allow you to swing the bag over and grab stuff without completely taking off the backpack.

Nabooly

macrumors 6502a
Aug 28, 2007
Hello all, I wanna ask if anyone knows of any good protective body films for the 15" retina mid-2014. I just want it for scratches. I'm really not looking for a hard case as it adds a bunch of bulk and just ruins the feeling of the mbp.

I've gone through many google searches and just not coming up with much official stuff.

singjai

macrumors member
Jan 23, 2014
Opinions on these two J Crew bags for everyday casual use?

https://www.jcrew.com/mens_category/bags/abingdon/PRDOVR~51657/51657.jsp?color_name=solid-khaki

https://www.jcrew.com/mens_category/bags/abingdon/PRDOVR~58394/58394.jsp?color_name=solid-khaki

The laptop bag looks really similar to Filson's original briefcase. Obviously the quality isn't up to par but for $66-73 (98 - 25% off), it might be a good buy.

I ended up getting the khaki messenger for $66 + tax and shipping which totaled up to $81.

Which do you guys prefer?

vito

macrumors 6502a
Apr 4, 2006
Manchester, UK
Anyone recommend a sleeve for the MacBook Pro Retina 15 which is a snug fit, zipper guard to prevent scratches and also easy access to the MagSafe so it can be charged with the sleeve closed etc

Many thanks

Tinus

macrumors newbie
Nov 2, 2014
Rosmalen
Anyone recommend a sleeve for the MacBook Pro Retina 15 which is a snug fit, zipper guard to prevent scratches and also easy access to the MagSafe so it can be charged with the sleeve closed etc

Many thanks

Bump, same question.

dianestory2

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2014
For my 11 inch macbook, I have this zipper case that is pretty sleek and protective. I would recommend this one pretty readily. It's less than $15, so you really can't go wrong.

Lukewarmwinner

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2012
I got this for my rMBP 15". It's made out of memory foam so instead of thin neoprene like the most of these sleeves this is very thick and protective. It's gota inner lip so it won't scratch the MacBook. Very recommendedif you want a classic looking but very protective sleeve with a snug fit.

The sleeve is from the French manufactor; Be.Ez

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 211
Last edited:

BenTrovato

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2012
Canada
For a sleeve only my favourite has been the Vatuka. 2 years now and it's perfect. Zippers never interfere and you can use the laptop in the sleeve if you like with the charger plugged in without interference. For a carrying case I just picked up the Thule Stravan from the Apple site - it just arrived but it looks and feels unbelievable.

Attachments

• FullSizeRender.jpg
    FullSizeRender.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 147
  • FullSizeRender2.jpg
    FullSizeRender2.jpg
    111.8 KB · Views: 151

Nabooly

macrumors 6502a
Aug 28, 2007
Well I couldn't find any protective body films for the mbp so I've had to stick with a hard case. To my delight Speck has (finally) added more colors to their 15" line. Still, clear isn't there for the 15". I wonder why they are so limited.

Anyway, I hope this speck case doesn't break like my last one did for my late 08 mbp.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.