Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kgirje

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 7, 2014
Hello. I am not sure how this happened but here it is. A wrinkly chip on my Macbook. Thankfully a chip on the side doesn't stop my Apple from working, but I would like to get this fixed if there is any way possible (which I am sure there is).

What can I do? And where should I go to get it fixed?

Thanks so much ;););)

Attachments

• 20140906_120154.jpg
    20140906_120154.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 3,511

joshlalonde

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2014
Canada
First of all, do you have a warranty that covers accidental damage?

If not,
You need to determine who damaged it (yourself or another person if you don't know who do it) and have the respective party be responsible for it.

Take it to the store and get an estimate or just get it replaced if you're still on warranty.

Good luck!

canuckRus

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2014
Alike

Hello. I am not sure how this happened but here it is. A wrinkly chip on my Macbook. Thankfully a chip on the side doesn't stop my Apple from working, but I would like to get this fixed if there is any way possible (which I am sure there is).

What can I do? And where should I go to get it fixed?

Thanks so much ;););)

A similar situation?
< https://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=19543150#post19543150 >

Again, how old and how purchased? Take it to an Apple store to have it looked at
and then decide where to go from there.
Best wishes

Last edited:

Agent47

macrumors member
Jun 11, 2014
Heat? No, thats solid aluminum. More like scraped against stone or asphalt. Apple won't do a thing other than offer to sell you a case.

I did this to an old MBP setting it down too roughly on a stone fireplace hearth. Aluminum is a soft metal and deforms easily, but is also easy to work with. I "fixed" it by using a Dremel tool, first grinding off the rough bits then using progressively finer sanding pads.

mvmanolov

macrumors 6502a
Aug 27, 2013
Heat? No, thats solid aluminum. More like scraped against stone or asphalt. Apple won't do a thing other than offer to sell you a case.

I did this to an old MBP setting it down too roughly on a stone fireplace hearth. Aluminum is a soft metal and deforms easily, but is also easy to work with. I "fixed" it by using a Dremel tool, first grinding off the rough bits then using progressively finer sanding pads.

could you post a pic!

and very well done on the DIY initiative :D

Agent47

macrumors member
Jun 11, 2014
Sorry, I sold that laptop some time ago.

But it did work well, and if you don't want to buy a Dremel, sandpaper can work well too but will be less precise and take longer. I just happened to have a Dremel. Get a rough sanding block and a package of progressively finer grit sandpaper. The finished product will be obvious that some metal is missing, and you will never match the original finish. Mine turned out looking like the dull side of aluminum foil. But it works!

kgirje

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 7, 2014

I went to Apple and Best Buy and they were absolutely useless. They want me to replace my frames and pay 900$. Stupid

Your suggestion of filing sounds risky, but at least you're not making it seem like replacement is the only choice.

I wanted to ask you if aluminum reanodizing or plating or coating/polishing methods can fix the chip as well. I'd appreciate your help if you're familiar with any of those methods.

Thanks so much.

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
A little filing would get rid of the rough. Then if you go the filling route, assuming you are successful you still have to finish it so it blends with the surroundings, like painting a car, usually not a job for amateurs.

If I were u, I file, and use a hard thin casing.

kgirje

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 7, 2014

I'm not the one doing the filling. I wanted to take it to someone professional.

tinkshusband

macrumors newbie
Oct 19, 2014
if you could find one cheap enough on ebay you could swap your working innards into the case of a dead macbook of matching model?
would basicly be what apple are suggesting but cheaper. alternatively you could file it down and paint the whole thing colorware style ( id take it apart to do that) tho.

kgirje

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 7, 2014
if you could find one cheap enough on ebay you could swap your working innards into the case of a dead macbook of matching model?
would basicly be what apple are suggesting but cheaper. alternatively you could file it down and paint the whole thing colorware style ( id take it apart to do that) tho.

Oh no. My entire point here is to repair it without paying a lot of money. Buying a new one will not be much different in terms of price of replacement (and I want to avoid that method).

Thanks for the suggestion of removing it while filing. That sounds like a safer idea.

JohnLT13

macrumors 6502a
Dec 9, 2012
Boston (aka Red Sox Nation)
I'm not the one doing the filling. I wanted to take it to someone professional.

I second the file method. Real easy to do. Go to Home Depot or Lowes and get a small steel file (for steel not wood) and very slowly file it until smooth. then hit it with 1000 grit sandpaper. If you take your time it should almost disappear. Good luck.

kgirje

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 7, 2014
I second the file method. Real easy to do. Go to Home Depot or Lowes and get a small steel file (for steel not wood) and very slowly file it until smooth. then hit it with 1000 grit sandpaper. If you take your time it should almost disappear. Good luck.

That's a good idea, but I can't trust myself in doing such a thing (If I was going to do that I'd send it off to a professional to fix up).

orestes1984

macrumors 65816
Jun 10, 2005
Australia

I had my screen replaced in my MacBook, it had an ugly chip on the outer case like this one. They replaced it, no more chip :p Now I've got a dent on my top case, but I really don't care anymore. Unfortunately it fell out of a car onto asphalt from less than a foots height.

TLDR: they will replace it if it has something to do with something else, it's not the end of the world, it wont void your warranty.

flyinmac

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2006
United States
I put bondo into a computer case once before back in the 90's... was a vintage plastic cased machine that I wanted to look smooth. worked fine... fixed the scrape.

Course, old plastic and bondo match colors better. So, you'll need to find some nice silver metallic paint to blend yours. Auto parts house is probably a good bet for some nice paint.... either that, or check the nail polish isle. Just tell the women you're picking out a lovely shade for your computer... they'll understand.

dukebound85

macrumors Core
Jul 17, 2005
5045 feet above sea level
I went to Apple and Best Buy and they were absolutely useless. They want me to replace my frames and pay 900$. Stupid

Your suggestion of filing sounds risky, but at least you're not making it seem like replacement is the only choice.

I wanted to ask you if aluminum reanodizing or plating or coating/polishing methods can fix the chip as well. I'd appreciate your help if you're familiar with any of those methods.

Thanks so much.

I'd just live with it. It is just a tool and not worth spending almost as much as it new to get it repaired.

kgirje

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 7, 2014
I had my screen replaced in my MacBook, it had an ugly chip on the outer case like this one. They replaced it, no more chip :p Now I've got a dent on my top case, but I really don't care anymore. Unfortunately it fell out of a car onto asphalt from less than a foots height.

TLDR: they will replace it if it has something to do with something else, it's not the end of the world, it wont void your warranty.
They can make them replace it, yet also pay almost 700$ to do that which isn't worth it.
I'm happy you got yours fixed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.