Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

biosci

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 16, 2010
Chicagoland, IL
As the subject states. I don't think this model supports any of the main continuity/handoff features of Yosemite anyway but I was wondering if you guys thought that it would be best to leave it Mavericks vs. Upgrading it to Yosemite. Computer will only be used for internet use/streaming of movies via netflix/youtube and email.

It was my mobile workhorse (or pony basically) but I'm thinking of giving it to my Mom to use to replace her even older White Macbook.

Thoughts?

FuNGi

macrumors 65816
Feb 26, 2010
California
As the subject states. I don't think this model supports any of the main continuity/handoff features of Yosemite anyway but I was wondering if you guys thought that it would be best to leave it Mavericks vs. Upgrading it to Yosemite. Computer will only be used for internet use/streaming of movies via netflix/youtube and email.

It was my mobile workhorse (or pony basically) but I'm thinking of giving it to my Mom to use to replace her even older White Macbook.

Thoughts?

You only need 2GB to run Yosemite. I put Yosemite on my late 2010 MBA (1.86Ghz/4GB) and it seems to be running just fine. It's too early to tell if the battery life will benefit but one of the key features presented with Yosemite is the increased battery life on Safari/Netflix. This sounds to me like you would benefit on your 11" MBA.

Last edited:

tom4444

macrumors newbie
Apr 17, 2010
If your is 11' then I have the exact same model. Yosemite runs fine, without any problems, (except Apple Shake that was working in Mavericks and in yosemite it doesn't - that makes me sad and angry :) )
Mavericks is pretty good and for this kind of use it is no big difference.
But why not upgrade when it's free? Still there are features like icloud drive, new design etc. It's up to you...

calvol

macrumors 6502a
Feb 3, 2011
I'm sticking with Snow Leopard, afraid to take the leap, might break something!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.