Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

smiddlehurst

macrumors 65816
Jun 5, 2007
Even looking at the 5k iMac, it has a 5k monitor but then only 8gb of ram and no SSD. Have they lost their minds? It's $2500, and it hardly would of cost them more to put an SSD into the damn thing.

Apple is so miserably out of touch with reality here.

You need to spend some time on the Apple store. If you want an SSD the 256Gb is a no-cost option on the retina iMac but, frankly, for most users the fusion drive is actually a better bet. 256Gb will get sucked up very quickly indeed if you're doing the sort of high end video / photography work that screen is perfect for.

Aside from that minor point it's also ridiculously good value when compared with the non-Retina iMac. I was pricing up for one of our labs today and a 3.5Ghz (albeit an i5 rather than i7), 8Gb ram, 1TB Fusion option Retina was about £40 more than the non-Retina!

DeeGee48

macrumors regular
Jun 28, 2007
Havertown, Pa
Yes! We need split screen on the air 2!

I think Apple know their tens of millions of iPad customers very well. The majority probably couldn't care a monkeys about splitscreen.
I've had an iPad since they were first released and I have no idea why I would ever want a splitscreen!

One for instance, which I definately would use: compiling lists or writing articles with the web on one side and my notes, or Pages, on the other. That's just ONE thing. Bring it on Apple for the Air 2!

rotation

macrumors member
Oct 16, 2014
Los Angeles
There isn't going to be an "ipad pro" not this year at least.

The iPad pro rumors are 99% a byproduct of whatever the MacBook Air retina will be.

And btw split screen is pretty dumb.

irnchriz

macrumors 65816
May 2, 2005
Scotland
There isn't going to be an "ipad pro" not this year at least.

The iPad pro rumors are 99% a byproduct of whatever the MacBook Air retina will be.

And btw split screen is pretty dumb.

The 12" iPad rumours have been around since last year. I think they replaced the mythical Apple LED TV set rumours.

iSee

macrumors 68040
Oct 25, 2004
I don't even care about 2gb of ram if I'm stuck in fullscreen land 24/7.

Split-screen would be a software feature. It doesn't have anything to do the Air 2 other than requiring hardware powerful enough to run two average apps at one (which i-devices have been for years).

Even looking at the 5k iMac, it has a 5k monitor but then only 8gb of ram and no SSD. Have they lost their minds? It's $2500, and it hardly would of cost them more to put an SSD into the damn thing.

Apple is so miserably out of touch with reality here.

Upgrade? It's literally a few clicks when you're ordering. Is there something difficult about that for you?

I'm afraid you're the one out of touch with reality here.

s2mikey

Suspended
Sep 23, 2013
Upstate, NY
I don't get the fuss over split screens on a tablet. Alls it does is take what's a perfectly sized screen to work and play on and cut in half. Why? So users can try to do multiple things at once? Because the phrase "multi tasking" is sooooo cool or whatever these days?

Alls multi tasking usually means is that you have 4 things 50% done which means have actually have nothing done. Or, even worse, they are done more cheesily than they should have been.

I dunno.... Bleh.

AdonisSMU

macrumors 604
Oct 23, 2010
Right it is priced competitively and that is because they skimped out on the rest of the specs. People will buy it because its 5K but if what the other people said is right that it only has 8GB ram and no SSD then yeah its behind, I have a pc with 12GB ram and a SSD from last year that runs fast as hell. idk why they cant include more than only one new feature like the 5k but no ssd.

From all accounts the iMac runs fast.

----------

I don't get the fuss over split screens on a tablet. Alls it does is take what's a perfectly sized screen to work and play on and cut in half. Why? So users can try to do multiple things at once? Because the phrase "multi tasking" is sooooo cool or whatever these days?

Alls multi tasking usually means is that you have 4 things 50% done which means have actually have nothing done. Or, even worse, they are done more cheesily than they should have been.

I dunno.... Bleh.
Makes no sense to me on an iPad. Even on a computer you are only doing one thing at a time. Get an android tablet with split screen and see if its useful. If it is great! If its not then you know for the future,

----------

One for instance, which I definately would use: compiling lists or writing articles with the web on one side and my notes, or Pages, on the other. That's just ONE thing. Bring it on Apple for the Air 2!
To read on one screen and type on another.

rotation

macrumors member
Oct 16, 2014
Los Angeles
The 12" iPad rumours have been around since last year. I think they replaced the mythical Apple LED TV set rumours.

I mean, who is really crying for a 13" tablet? I get that you guys like the idea of OSX on a tablet but it's not a mobile OS and it's not touch enabled AT ALL. Its implementation would be worse than surface pro. Apple will never release a product knowing Microsoft of all people have a better one.

Mak47

macrumors 6502a
Mar 27, 2011
Harrisburg, PA
That makes it abit more tempting, but even so. The $2400 macbook pro retina has a 512gb ssd. Why not make that the base for the iMac.

Why not?

First, that's not the entry level rMBP by a long shot. You can certainly have a 512GB SSD in the iMac if you choose an upgraded model like the rMBP.

Second, this is a 27" 5k display--the rMBP is 15.4" and not even close in resolution. Why isn't a 60" TV the same price as a 32"?

irnchriz

macrumors 65816
May 2, 2005
Scotland
Right it is priced competitively and that is because they skimped out on the rest of the specs. People will buy it because its 5K but if what the other people said is right that it only has 8GB ram and no SSD then yeah its behind, I have a pc with 12GB ram and a SSD from last year that runs fast as hell. idk why they cant include more than only one new feature like the 5k but no ssd.

It does have an SSD. The entry model comes with a fusion drive, thats a 128GB SSD paired up with a 7200rpm 1TB HDD. It sits in the middle of ultra performance and mass storage, which suits a desktop machine. The RAM is user replaceable and 8GB is a reasonable starting point. You can always upgrade through Crucial or New Egg at a later date. Likewise, the i5 is a capable CPU and unless you are in need of 8 threads then it will cover the bases nicely. The only thing I would upgrade to straight away is the 4GB graphics card.

liegate

macrumors member
Oct 5, 2014
The 5k is great but not very useful if the hardware is lacking.

I'm not going to wait 5 months for their update if I can buy a different product that has what I want right now lol.

Then don't buy it. I doubt even if Apple put 16Gb of RAM and charged the same price you would buy it. :rolleyes:

pacorob

macrumors 68020
Apr 8, 2010
the Netherlands
I hope the iPads (and iPhone 6Plus) will have split screen feature in the near future. It can be a very usefull feature on a large screen.

rotation

macrumors member
Oct 16, 2014
Los Angeles
The Nexus 9 certainly looks like the best android tablet to come along in awhile.

But...

The iPad Air 2 looks great, it's the first iPad i'll be buying. It's got 2GB Ram, a faster processor than even the iphone 6.

I will give nvidia credit for making what would appear to be the closest competition the retina mini 2 or 3 in a long time.

It's looking like this (air 2) is gonna be the fastest ipad by a long margin.

addictzz

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2012
The Nexus 9 certainly looks like the best android tablet to come along in awhile.

But...

The iPad Air 2 looks great, it's the first iPad i'll be buying. It's got 2GB Ram, a faster processor than even the iphone 6.

I will give nvidia credit for making what would appear to be the closest competition the retina mini 2 or 3 in a long time.

It's looking like this (air 2) is gonna be the fastest ipad by a long margin.

Only if they really put in that 2GB RAM. There are rumors everywhere on the net but I am just skeptical against Apple. Who ever predicts that Mac Mini is going to have soldered RAM.

Anyway this is gonna be my first iPad too :)

pear21

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2012
Michigan
It does have an SSD. The entry model comes with a fusion drive, thats a 128GB SSD paired up with a 7200rpm 1TB HDD. It sits in the middle of ultra performance and mass storage, which suits a desktop machine. The RAM is user replaceable and 8GB is a reasonable starting point. You can always upgrade through Crucial or New Egg at a later date. Likewise, the i5 is a capable CPU and unless you are in need of 8 threads then it will cover the bases nicely. The only thing I would upgrade to straight away is the 4GB graphics card.

Right, isn't that 4GB graphics card going to be running pretty hot with a 5k display? Especially if you are trying to run games at ultra.

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
I think Apple know their tens of millions of iPad customers very well. The majority probably couldn't care a monkeys about splitscreen.
I've had an iPad since they were first released and I have no idea why I would ever want a splitscreen!
That's the same thing people said when power windows and power door locks were an extra-cost accessory in cars. :D

FSMBP

macrumors 68030
Jan 22, 2009

Millions bought Motorola Razrs in 2004-2006 & those sold well. People enjoyed them. People don't know what they want until someone shows them. It's like what Henry Ford said "If I had asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses.”

I think split screen would absolutely stink on the iPad as it is.

You want an idea of how it will look? With iOS 8 installed on the iPad Air, turn the device into landscape, open Safari, and then open the bookmarks bar. This shrinks the right of the screen to show you the web page, and leaves the left as the bookmarks up. You can continue to browse the web on the right side of the screen.

Do you really want to use an iPad with a split screen that small?

It may not be a great experience on an iPad Mini but it may work on the iPad Air. Imagine 2/3 of the screen is Safari and the 1/3 is Spotify. Either way, Apple has started to code for split-screen. Ironically, Microsoft of all companies, made it work well on the Surface:

http://reviews.tablets-help.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/Surface-Pro-3-Overview.png

jvette

macrumors 6502
Dec 29, 2007
Going back to what the OP said in the title of this thread. It may be a loser to some but who is Apple trying to sell this to? Is Apple becoming the old persons computer? Everything I have is Apple but I'm getting old and being happy with the little improvements they make because I'm not going to crack open a computer any longer to add memory or a different hard drive. I really don't need split screen. I have a hard enough time keeping focused on one screen.

So see, you have to understand the demographics Apple is leaning towards. This isn't the company it use to be. Ok, I'm really not that old, I'm 57 but when if I was 30 I would be looking for different things. So that makes me think this may not be a loser at all.

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
Going back to what the OP said in the title of this thread. It may be a loser to some but who is Apple trying to sell this to? Is Apple becoming the old persons computer? Everything I have is Apple but I'm getting old and being happy with the little improvements they make because I'm not going to crack open a computer any longer to add memory or a different hard drive. I really don't need split screen. I have a hard enough time keeping focused on one screen.

So see, you have to understand the demographics Apple is leaning towards. This isn't the company it use to be. Ok, I'm really not that old, I'm 57 but when if I was 30 I would be looking for different things. So that makes me think this may not be a loser at all.

Funnily enough I have heard this elsewhere that more and more Apple is starting to be seen by kids as the mum and dads brand.
The kids love to customize and change things and actually be different and Android gives them all of that and more.

I've no idea how true this is, but I've heard it said before now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.