Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stol

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 11, 2011
Greece
Not sure if this has been answered elsewhere, couldn't find anything here.

I have an iPhone running iOS 8, an iMac I am about to install Yosemite on, a 2008 Macbook stuck with Lion and an iPad 1 with iOS 5.

Does anyone know what will happen to those devices not supporting iCloud Drive, but the old "Documents & Data" iCloud functionality. Will it entirely stop working on them? I'd like to know before I flip that switch. Apple has a support article, but does not mention what happens to such devices, just that they won't sync with iOS 8/Yosemite and as expected it advises to upgrade to latest OS.

Phil A.

Moderator emeritus
Apr 2, 2006
Shropshire, UK
Not sure if this has been answered elsewhere, couldn't find anything here.

I have an iPhone running iOS 8, an iMac I am about to install Yosemite on, a 2008 Macbook stuck with Lion and an iPad 1 with iOS 5.

Does anyone know what will happen to those devices not supporting iCloud Drive, but the old "Documents & Data" iCloud functionality. Will it entirely stop working on them? I'd like to know before I flip that switch. Apple has a support article, but does not mention what happens to such devices, just that they won't sync with iOS 8/Yosemite and as expected it advises to upgrade to latest OS.

Switching on iCloud Drive in iOS 8 breaks iCloud for apps running versions of OS X before Yosemite - it warns you of that fact when you enable it

Here's an Apple support document about it: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT6312?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.