Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Allthings-I

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 25, 2014
Yes, that is the case. I have a Verizon iPhone 5c that can be used to activate the SIM so that's my workaround if ever I decide to switch.

Still, at least now a workaround is available. Before, using a GSM iPhone on Verizon was a complete non-option. If you're buying a new device full price, I agree, Verizon is the best choice. However, if you already have a T-Mobile or AT&T iPhone 6/6+ that can be unlocked and can borrow a nano SIM-compatible Verizon phone (or MEID) from someone else for the SIM activation portion then it's possible to switch over your GSM iPhone to Verizon. No need to buy a new device. :)

Yes but also keep in mind that if you say switch your iPhone 5C SIM and put it into AT&T/T-Mobile iPhone 6/6+ and sell or give the iPhone 5C to someone else that is going to use it on Verizon...Guess what....Its going to deactivate your SIM....So its not much of a solution to be honest....

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Yes but also keep in mind that if you say switch your iPhone 5C SIM and put it into AT&T/T-Mobile iPhone 6/6+ and sell or give the iPhone 5C to someone else that is going to use it on Verizon...Guess what....Its going to deactivate your SIM....So its not much of a solution to be honest....
Hmm, are you sure about this? I've been able to activate a couple of SIM cards using the same iPad on month-to-month service and the old SIM card was never deactivated.

ydhuldhoya

macrumors newbie
Sep 10, 2009
Hi, wanted to understand the below output of my iPhone 6. Is it equivalent to 'unlocked'? Can I use any sim on it in USA as well as globally? What are these activation policies that list Verizon-does it need action at Verizon end? Thank you.

IMEI: ------
Serial: --------
Model: IPHONE 6 SPACE GRAY 64GB VERIZON-USA
MAC: --------
ICCID: ---------
iOS Version: 8.0
Activation Status: Yes
Unbricked: true
Unlocked: false
First Unbricked Date: 2014-10-03
Last Unbricked Date: 2014-10-04
Initial Activation Policy: 2023 - US Verizon LTE MM N51/N48/N42 Activation Policy
Applied Activation Policy: 2023 - US Verizon LTE MM N51/N48/N42 Activation Policy
Next Tether Policy (Carrier): 2023 - US Verizon LTE MM N51/N48/N42 Activation Policy
Sim Lock: Unlocked

Allthings-I

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 25, 2014
Hmm, are you sure about this? I've been able to activate a couple of SIM cards using the same iPad on month-to-month service and the old SIM card was never deactivated.

iPads are different, they are universal. If you notice all iPad's are actually factory unlocked...if you haven't noticed it then go buy one from each carrier and you will have the proof in your hand :)

I have handled Sprint, Verizon and T-Mobile iPad Air & Mini so I am 100% sure about this.

----------

Hi, wanted to understand the below output of my iPhone 6. Is it equivalent to 'unlocked'? Can I use any sim on it in USA as well as globally? What are these activation policies that list Verizon-does it need action at Verizon end? Thank you.

IMEI: ------
Serial: --------
Model: IPHONE 6 SPACE GRAY 64GB VERIZON-USA
MAC: --------
ICCID: ---------
iOS Version: 8.0
Activation Status: Yes
Unbricked: true
Unlocked: false
First Unbricked Date: 2014-10-03
Last Unbricked Date: 2014-10-04
Initial Activation Policy: 2023 - US Verizon LTE MM N51/N48/N42 Activation Policy
Applied Activation Policy: 2023 - US Verizon LTE MM N51/N48/N42 Activation Policy
Next Tether Policy (Carrier): 2023 - US Verizon LTE MM N51/N48/N42 Activation Policy
Sim Lock: Unlocked

Yes, your iPhone is FACTORY Unlocked, so you can use any GSM Carrier in USA (AT&T / T-Mobile/ Straight Talk / Cricket / Simple Mobile / Net10 / H2O to name a few)

ruler22

macrumors member
Jul 2, 2010
PA
I have model Model A1586, which I bought from the UK, and looking at the networks it seemed like it would work on most US networks, why do you say it won't work on ATT and only on Sprint...? It is fully unlocked from Apple UK.

benji888

macrumors 68000
Sep 27, 2006
United States
iPads are different, they are universal. If you notice all iPad's are actually factory unlocked...if you haven't noticed it then go buy one from each carrier and you will have the proof in your hand :)

I have handled Sprint, Verizon and T-Mobile iPad Air & Mini so I am 100% sure about this.

----------

Yes, your iPhone is FACTORY Unlocked, so you can use any GSM Carrier in USA (AT&T / T-Mobile/ Straight Talk / Cricket / Simple Mobile / Net10 / H2O to name a few)
Not ANY GSM carrier...see below
I have model Model A1586, which I bought from the UK, and looking at the networks it seemed like it would work on most US networks, why do you say it won't work on ATT and only on Sprint...? It is fully unlocked from Apple UK.
There are 2(+) models of each iPhone that is capable of LTE. When you buy a Factory unlocked iPhone in the US, Apple store even sells it to you as a "T-Mobile" phone, so in this list you will find "T-Mobile" and you can see the other carriers it will work with unlocked, but, check this list:
http://www.apple.com/iphone/LTE/

An unlocked iPhone 6 or 6+ that works with Sprint or US Cellular (1586/1524), will not work with AT&T, Verizon, or T-Mobile.(1549/1522), and vice versa . And It's not either CDMA or GSM, it's a matter of which bands the phone has in it (hardware, not software), as an unlocked iPhone 6/6+ will have all radios on/enabled.

Last edited:

ruler22

macrumors member
Jul 2, 2010
PA
Why will it not work with ATT, specifically? The reasons given previously was that Sprint doesn't fully unlock the phone, however in my case - the phone was bought fully unlocked via Apple UK Store (and not in the United States), and does NOT need to be unlocked via any specific carrier. It looks to support the same regular & LTE bands as the other models, but also supports 4 additional bands for asian networks.

Via the Apple UK Store, the unlocked iPhone (bought from the UK) can work with any GSM carrier worldwide.

Allthings-I

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 25, 2014
Not ANY GSM carrier...see below

An unlocked iPhone 6 or 6+ that works with Sprint or US Cellular (1586/1524), will not work with AT&T, Verizon, or T-Mobile.(1549/1522), and vice versa . And It's not either CDMA or GSM, it's a matter of which bands the phone has in it (hardware, not software), as an unlocked iPhone 6/6+ will have all radios on/enabled.

Ok, first learn to give reason because the reason being it won't work on AT&T or T-Mobile or other GSM networks in USA is if it is bought from Sprint...now you ask why?

1) Sprint Will not unlock the iPhone for you unless you meet all their very specific requirements

2) Even if sprint unlocks the phone for you, their Unlock Policy prevents their iPhones from connecting to any US Carrier and only allows the phone to work on any International carrier.

----------

When I said about A1586, I was referring the SPRINT MODEL ONLY -- IF you have a UK purchased iPhone A1586 and it is Factory Unlocked, then YES you can use it on ANY GSM network in USA but remember, it cannot be a SPRINT A1586 unlocked, IT MUST BE PURCHASED FROM ANOTHER CARRIER, UNLOCKED.

----------

Why will it not work with ATT, specifically? The reasons given previously was that Sprint doesn't fully unlock the phone, however in my case - the phone was bought fully unlocked via Apple UK Store (and not in the United States), and does NOT need to be unlocked via any specific carrier. It looks to support the same regular & LTE bands as the other models, but also supports 4 additional bands for asian networks.

Via the Apple UK Store, the unlocked iPhone (bought from the UK) can work with any GSM carrier worldwide.

Because your iPhone A1586 is purchased from a international location and factory unlocked (based on what you are telling me) It will work on AT&T and T-Mobile with Full 4G/LTE support.

Tthomas612

macrumors 65816
Aug 24, 2013
I have an iPhone 6 that I bought full price from the Apple Store. It is Model1586. It was bought to be used on Sprint, but it is internationally UNLOCKED... It wil not work with any DOMESTIC SIM.

benji888

macrumors 68000
Sep 27, 2006
United States
Ok, first learn to give reason because the reason being it won't work on AT&T or T-Mobile or other GSM networks in USA is if it is bought from Sprint...now you ask why?

1) Sprint Will not unlock the iPhone for you unless you meet all their very specific requirements

2) Even if sprint unlocks the phone for you, their Unlock Policy prevents their iPhones from connecting to any US Carrier and only allows the phone to work on any International carrier.

----------

When I said about A1586, I was referring the SPRINT MODEL ONLY -- IF you have a UK purchased iPhone A1586 and it is Factory Unlocked, then YES you can use it on ANY GSM network in USA but remember, it cannot be a SPRINT A1586 unlocked, IT MUST BE PURCHASED FROM ANOTHER CARRIER, UNLOCKED.

----------

Because your iPhone A1586 is purchased from a international location and factory unlocked (based on what you are telling me) It will work on AT&T and T-Mobile with Full 4G/LTE support.
You have tried this and it works?

Because, something you are not realizing is that there are 2 models of each iPhone. While some may appear on this list to have some of the same LTE bands, that does not mean it will work on any GSM or CDMA network. The phone signal is not carried over LTE, the data is. Apple does not list here the specific GSM & CDMA radio frequencies or hardware network compatibilities by technical data, only which carriers work with each unlocked model.

If you look on this list, you will see that while T-Mobile, Verizon & AT&T use the same model iPhone, Sprint works only with the other iPhone model. This is not because of the LTE bands, it is because of the GSM & CDMA capability which is not listed.

A1549/A1522 UNLOCKED only works with the carriers listed within this model number.

and

A1586/A1524 UNLOCKED only works with the carriers listed within this model number.

One of those models will not work with every single global network that uses the LTE bands listed, it is more complicated than that, as far as hardware goes, as I already tried to explain.

• From the notes on the above linked webpage:

(2) "Unlocked iPhone models may support LTE networks outside the country of purchase when using a valid SIM from a supported carrier"

(3) "LTE band support is based on iPhone model number and configuration for either CDMA or GSM networks. LTE wireless service may not be available even if listed bands are supported by your carrier."

An unlocked iPhone 1586/1524 that works with 3, EE, O2 & Vodaphone in the UK will work with Sprint, US Cellular in the US, but, I would not trust it to work on AT&T, T-Mobile or Verizon.

If someone has actually used one of these phones bought in the UK and was able to fully use the phone on AT&T, T-Mobile or Verizon, then correct me.

(edit) NOTE: iphone 5c & 5s use different radio chips, don't support the same way as iPhone 6/6+.

Also, iPhone 5 was the first LTE iPhone and does not have the same radio chips as any newer iPhones (will not work in China). (This was main reason for 5c).

Last edited:

terraphantm

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2009
Pennsylvania

Should work fine here.

Can you look under settings and see if the phone reports an MEID? If so, it should work on Verizon too

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
So pretty much Sprint sucks
If your only concern is either getting a Sprint iPhone to use on another network or getting off of Sprint's network and still using the phone you have on another network, then yeah. Sprint sucks.

But if you live in a good coverage area and have good Sprint service and no intention of leaving Sprint - then no. You're wrong. It doesn't suck.

So, in which category are you?

Tthomas612

macrumors 65816
Aug 24, 2013
If your only concern is either getting a Sprint iPhone to use on another network or getting off of Sprint's network and still using the phone you have on another network, then yeah. Sprint sucks.

But if you live in a good coverage area and have good Sprint service and no intention of leaving Sprint - then no. You're wrong. It doesn't suck.

So, in which category are you?

I know you weren't talking to me lol but I'll chime in. The only reason I've stayed with Sprint for as long as I have is because I am in a good service area and the monthly plan is cheap... Which is a good deal of you have good service. I can understand people thinking its a bad deal if they have bad service, but for me getting 25 up and 10-12 down is good and worth the price I pay

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I know you weren't talking to me lol but I'll chime in. The only reason I've stayed with Sprint for as long as I have is because I am in a good service area and the monthly plan is cheap... Which is a good deal of you have good service. I can understand people thinking its a bad deal if they have bad service, but for me getting 25 up and 10-12 down is good and worth the price I pay
Yeah, I just object to generalized statements. If you're going to say it sucks, give a reason. We can either agree or disagree but tossing a grenede into the conversation, like the other person did, and then waiting to see what happens is not contributing to the thread.

For some people Sprint does not suck because it meets their needs and they have good coverage and good service. That has to be taken into consideration. I know some people hate Sprint so much they can't do that, but it's true.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Can you look under settings and see if the phone reports an MEID? If so, it should work on Verizon too
For someone who's just visiting from overseas and just wants to get a prepaid SIM card for their phone, Verizon is somewhat of a non-option.

Because, something you are not realizing is that there are 2 models of each iPhone. While some may appear on this list to have some of the same LTE bands, that does not mean it will work on any GSM or CDMA network. The phone signal is not carried over LTE, the data is. Apple does not list here the specific GSM & CDMA radio frequencies or hardware network compatibilities by technical data, only which carriers work with each unlocked model.

If you look on this list, you will see that while T-Mobile, Verizon & AT&T use the same model iPhone, Sprint works only with the other iPhone model. This is not because of the LTE bands, it is because of the GSM & CDMA capability which is not listed.

There are like four GSM bands (850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900) and five 3G/HSPA bands (850 / 900 / 1700 / 1900 / 2100). Those bands are already listed in the specs and they cover all the GSM/3G bands used by AT&T and T-Mobile. The LTE page is just for that - LTE support. CDMA carriers in the US have a habit of whitelisting devices so even if you do have a supported model, you still might not be able to get service. You'll have better chances of using an international unlocked A1586/A1524 iPhone on AT&T or T-Mobile than you would on Sprint.

Last edited:

Allthings-I

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 25, 2014
You have tried this and it works?

A1549/A1522 UNLOCKED only works with the carriers listed within this model number.

and

A1586/A1524 UNLOCKED only works with the carriers listed within this model number.

One of those models will not work with every single global network that uses the LTE bands listed, it is more complicated than that, as far as hardware goes, as I already tried to explain.

• From the notes on the above linked webpage:

(2) "Unlocked iPhone models may support LTE networks outside the country of purchase when using a valid SIM from a supported carrier"

(3) "LTE band support is based on iPhone model number and configuration for either CDMA or GSM networks. LTE wireless service may not be available even if listed bands are supported by your carrier."

An unlocked iPhone 1586/1524 that works with 3, EE, O2 & Vodaphone in the UK will work with Sprint, US Cellular in the US, but, I would not trust it to work on AT&T, T-Mobile or Verizon.

If someone has actually used one of these phones bought in the UK and was able to fully use the phone on AT&T, T-Mobile or Verizon, then correct me.

(edit) NOTE: iphone 5c & 5s use different radio chips, don't support the same way as iPhone 6/6+.

Also, iPhone 5 was the first LTE iPhone and does not have the same radio chips as any newer iPhones (will not work in China). (This was main reason for 5c).

You can believe what you will and I can assure you majority of your statements/facts are incorrect because they are nothing more than speculation, I have the knowledge and ability to test far beyond your reach because of the tech industry I am in and people I work with.

When I gave my response, I considered all the technical details regarding the phones.

Sprint iPhone 5/5C/5S/6/6+ can very well support AT&T / T-Mobile / Verizon 3G/4G + LTE but the limitations are in place by Sprint and Verizon not accepting any phones not sold by them to be in their database.

You need to understand that the sprint model (We just call it sprint model because its only carried by Sprint / US Cellular / C Spire but sprint being the largest in USA but its just another model sold by Apple with more LTE bands that are used by international carriers), is sold worldwide on many other carriers, and when it is unlocked by those carriers it will work on any US GSM network.

The A1586/A1549 is also sold in China, Australia and many other countries that have the TDD-LTE bands.

Phone is a phone at the end of the day, if it has the hardware enabled, It will work on any network worldwide that supports that hardware. What comes down to CDMA is the restrictions in place by the carrier, most carriers worldwide do not accept CDMA phones that are not sold by them much like how Sprint and Verizon are very strict on that policy.

You are 100% Wrong with a A1586 model that works on 3, EE, O2 & Vodafone in the UK to work on Sprint, US Cellular in the US = 100000% Incorrect. It will work on All GSM Carriers in USA but not Sprint.

Also GSM is the global standard, not CDMA, It is simple to switch over a GSM Unlocked phone from one network to another, while a CDMA phone requires far more work to "flash" over to another network = not convenient.

The iPhone 5 wasn't sold in China because it lacked TDD-LTE bands, the carriers would not be happy to launch a iPhone with lack of 4G/LTE in China while rest of the world got 4G/LTE compatible iPhone. So Apple re-wrapped the iPhone 5 into a 5C and added support for more LTE bands to make it compatible with China's LTE networks.

As for Apple, they don't have the time to educate each and every individual so they break it down based on country and tell you which model you need to buy.

Don't worry tho, Apple is working hard to remove any and all confusion by consolidating the models. I suspect next iPhone 6S/6S+ will have just 1 model rathe than 2 much like they did with the iPad Air 2 and Mini 3.

Last edited:

Tthomas612

macrumors 65816
Aug 24, 2013
Yeah, I just object to generalized statements. If you're going to say it sucks, give a reason. We can either agree or disagree but tossing a grenede into the conversation, like the other person did, and then waiting to see what happens is not contributing to the thread.

For some people Sprint does not suck because it meets their needs and they have good coverage and good service. That has to be taken into consideration. I know some people hate Sprint so much they can't do that, but it's true.

Yes very true. Some people just throw hate towards Sprint just to do it. Everyone knows they're not the greatest carrier in the US, but for some people they are completely usable and a viable option. I know Sprint makes a lot of promises they just can't keep... A whole lot of broken promises over the past few years. However I do feel as though they may FINALLY be headed in the right direction.

I also know that every Sprint customer is not in the situation I'm in... Where my data speeds are very good and I have no issues with dropping calls or losing LTE.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
I know. It's more a personal curiosity. I want to know if non-US phones also have CDMA enabled
Given they're used in China (which unlike Sprint and Verizon, uses SIM-based authentication afaik), I'm going to guess yes on this one. Granted, I'd like confirmation about MEID (CDMA-enabled) on the international A1586, too.

nateo200

macrumors 68030
Feb 4, 2009
Upstate NY
You can believe what you will and I can assure you majority of your statements/facts are incorrect because they are nothing more than speculation, I have the knowledge and ability to test far beyond your reach because of the tech industry I am in and people I work with.

When I gave my response, I considered all the technical details regarding the phones.

Sprint iPhone 5/5C/5S/6/6+ can very well support AT&T / T-Mobile / Verizon 3G/4G + LTE but the limitations are in place by Sprint and Verizon not accepting any phones not sold by them to be in their database.

You need to understand that the sprint model (We just call it sprint model because its only carried by Sprint / US Cellular / C Spire but sprint being the largest in USA but its just another model sold by Apple with more LTE bands that are used by international carriers), is sold worldwide on many other carriers, and when it is unlocked by those carriers it will work on any US GSM network.

The A1586/A1549 is also sold in China, Australia and many other countries that have the TDD-LTE bands.

Phone is a phone at the end of the day, if it has the hardware enabled, It will work on any network worldwide that supports that hardware. What comes down to CDMA is the restrictions in place by the carrier, most carriers worldwide do not accept CDMA phones that are not sold by them much like how Sprint and Verizon are very strict on that policy.

You are 100% Wrong with a A1586 model that works on 3, EE, O2 & Vodafone in the UK to work on Sprint, US Cellular in the US = 100000% Incorrect. It will work on All GSM Carriers in USA but not Sprint.

Also GSM is the global standard, not CDMA, It is simple to switch over a GSM Unlocked phone from one network to another, while a CDMA phone requires far more work to "flash" over to another network = not convenient.

The iPhone 5 wasn't sold in China because it lacked TDD-LTE bands, the carriers would not be happy to launch a iPhone with lack of 4G/LTE in China while rest of the world got 4G/LTE compatible iPhone. So Apple re-wrapped the iPhone 5 into a 5C and added support for more LTE bands to make it compatible with China's LTE networks.

As for Apple, they don't have the time to educate each and every individual so they break it down based on country and tell you which model you need to buy.

Don't worry tho, Apple is working hard to remove any and all confusion by consolidating the models. I suspect next iPhone 6S/6S+ will have just 1 model rathe than 2 much like they did with the iPad Air 2 and Mini 3.

Your 100% correct. I don't know what that guys problem is but as a massive cellular tech nerd who tinkers with this stuff on a regular basis beyond what most iPhone fans deal with I can say your correct. I'm still sorta pissed Apple just didn't make the A1586/A1549 with all 20 LTE bands available on all carriers....with the exception of Canada and the US all other countries seam to gravitate toward the model with TD-LTE bands included, it would have been nice for roaming but I'm guessing in the future 90%+ TD-LTE networks will have FDD LTE running alongside it (Even China Unicom and China Telecom are going to run FDD LTE). The key bands I see as important on all iPhone 6's are Band 7 2600MHz and of course the big one of the future Band 28 700MHz, I'm guessing in the future if your device supports Band 28 and Band 7 your pretty much covered (with the exception of North America in most areas)

Allthings-I

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 25, 2014
Your 100% correct. I don't know what that guys problem is but as a massive cellular tech nerd who tinkers with this stuff on a regular basis beyond what most iPhone fans deal with I can say your correct. I'm still sorta pissed Apple just didn't make the A1586/A1549 with all 20 LTE bands available on all carriers....with the exception of Canada and the US all other countries seam to gravitate toward the model with TD-LTE bands included, it would have been nice for roaming but I'm guessing in the future 90%+ TD-LTE networks will have FDD LTE running alongside it (Even China Unicom and China Telecom are going to run FDD LTE). The key bands I see as important on all iPhone 6's are Band 7 2600MHz and of course the big one of the future Band 28 700MHz, I'm guessing in the future if your device supports Band 28 and Band 7 your pretty much covered (with the exception of North America in most areas)

Also gotta keep in mind that the world beyond US is still growing with LTE, I would say Verizon probably has the best LTE coverage (not speeds were talking about) in the world when it comes to deployment and somewhere along iPhone 6 build cost it must be helping Apple save money by not mass producing the US A1524/A1522 models as these are sold predominately in North America.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013

I already know iPads are universal, thanks. The thing is there's a good chance that so is the iPhone 6/6+. Thus far, the only "universal" iPhone model (well, at least one that supports 3 of the major US carriers) was the Verizon version. The AT&T, T-Mobile and GSM Factory Unlocked 5s and 5c had CDMA disabled. This year, that seems to have changed with the 6/6+ so it's a chance to test Verizon's system.

Mind, I checked my Verizon account and for Device ID, it lists the ICCID for the SIM card so it doesn't seem as if the account/line is linked to the ESN/MEID/IMEI. Alas, I'm not really up to opening another postpaid account using the same phone just to see if Verizon will deactivate the SIM card that the phone was originally activated with. Until someone tries, we don't really know how Verizon will handle things. Hmm, perhaps I'll try to see if I can activate an ALLSET prepaid account with 5c to see what happens. Hopefully, ebay would have some cheap Nano SIMs.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.