Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

How confident are you in updating to iOS 8.1?

• I will update immediately, I think they will have no bugs.

Votes: 48 77.4%
  • I will update after I hear more about others experiences, I suspect there may be bugs.

Votes: 13 21.0%
  • I think Apple QA has issues, I am just waiting for the bugs and errors in QA.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I am not going to update, maybe wait until 8.1.1.

Votes: 1 1.6%

• Total voters

Starfyre

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Nov 7, 2010
We've seen how certain updates from Apple have caused problems (i.e. 8.0.1) How confident are you that iOS 8.1 is going to be released without problems from the get go or will there be an iOS 8.1.1 to be release before you update?

iOS 8.0.2, though fixing major issues has also caused other semi-annoying issues cropping up from basic function like "issues with screen rotation" (https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1804774/), among other issues that don't impact cellular ability, but affects other commonly used functions built into iOS.

Last edited:

yaboyac29

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2014
You're making it seem like there's been many problems before with updates.

8.0.1 was the only time EVER the iphone was unusable after an update.

Don't expect that mistake to happen again.

sethlution

macrumors regular
Dec 13, 2011
I've posted this on many threaded already, and I'm gonna say it again here. 8.1 is very stable. It fixes a lot of the problems on 8.0.2 (especially keyboard bugs). The only downside is that battery life is just as horrible (maybe slightly better) than on 8.0.2.

Starfyre

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Nov 7, 2010
The only one I've experienced on 8.0.2 that has been bothering me is the screen rotation lock. Sometimes it gets stuck in portrait and never changes when you turn the device to landscape. It better not be a gyroscape/accelerometer issue, which I don't think it is since restarting seems to help.

nateo200

macrumors 68030
Feb 4, 2009
Upstate NY
You're making it seem like there's been many problems before with updates.

8.0.1 was the only time EVER the iphone was unusable after an update.

Don't expect that mistake to happen again.

Alright well look at it this way. 8.1 is a BRAND new bridge, it looks really nice, except none of us can see the support beams and what not and its a bit windy outside...you can be the first one to walk across the bridge I'll just wait and watch :D:D;):p

Shadowbech

macrumors G3
Oct 18, 2011
I chose this: I will update after I hear more about others experiences, I suspect there may be bugs.

Oridus

macrumors 65816
Oct 8, 2012
Alright well look at it this way. 8.1 is a BRAND new bridge, it looks really nice, except none of us can see the support beams and what not and its a bit windy outside...you can be the first one to walk across the bridge I'll just wait and watch :D:D;):p

Alright, well I'll enjoy my train ride across and be well on my way to the destination, while you sit back and watch my ass disappear :p

Shadowbech

macrumors G3
Oct 18, 2011
The only one I've experienced on 8.0.2 that has been bothering me is the screen rotation lock. Sometimes it gets stuck in portrait and never changes when you turn the device to landscape. It better not be a gyroscape/accelerometer issue, which I don't think it is since restarting seems to help.

That happened to me too on 8.0.2 so I ended up downgrading back to 8.0 and that fixed my screen rotation lock issue.

CoilTap

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2014
I've been running 8.1 since it dropped the first beta. It's fine.

However, your option for "it will have no bugs" is a pointless option. Every piece of software everywhere has bugs somewhere. No two ways about it. It just depends on if those bugs are major blockers or just minor nuisances.

CoilTap

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2014
Also, confident enough that my phone is updating right now. Looks like the release just hit.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
I always wait before updating my iPhone. Actually, that's what I use the iPods and iPads for - to test stability and app compatibility. iOS 8.0.1 may be the worst in terms of bugs but it's certainly not the only buggy update Apple has pushed. :rolleyes:

THE dAY

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2010
SFV California

Try this as it helped with my 6 when I had it.
Go into settings and enable zoom view.
You can then disable it and go back to standard view.
This helped with the phone being stuck in portrait mode.

Jmausmuc

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2014
I just updated and now I am scared because I read about some people having battery issues on this forum.
Hope it turns out to be wrong.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.