Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

danielceleste

macrumors regular
Jun 16, 2012
I only have one response to the title of this article: "Except When It Doesn't"

Is anyone else having issues with certain folders not showing up on all devices?
Other than that, the sync is great when it works.

Last edited:

eyehop

macrumors regular
Oct 31, 2005
This is disappointing. I was expecting that In iOS I could open a PDF or image from some folder of my choosing. Cloud share is what I need and this is lockdown garbage.

Msail30bay

macrumors regular
Jan 4, 2014
Penn., USA
:( Well, that's nice BUT there isn't any iCloud Drive app for iOS. Don't want to use iPhoto on my Mac or on my iPhone to store and view private pics. Hiding photos is useless as the albums are NOT hidden............ unless I missed something??

So, too bad Apple, Dropbox has just gotten a new customer.

knucklehead

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2003
I only have one response to the title of this article: "Except When It Doesn't"

Is anyone else having issues with certain folders not showing up on all devices?
Other than that, the sync is great when it works.

That's my problem with it. Everything shows up on the iCloud site, but not everything shows up on my computers. My iMacBook Air Shows a couple more apps showing up than my iMac.

Luap

macrumors 65816
Jul 5, 2004
I was a keen user of iDisk and used it quite a lot with little to no problems.
I was hoping iCloud drive would be at least as good, but...

No online file hosting? That was something I used iDisk for a lot.. Picts etc to use in forum posts.. Files I could share with friends/colleagues by giving them a download link..
Maybe that will come later? But for now, this isn't much use to me.

macrushfan

macrumors newbie
May 17, 2012
Yosemite killed my logic board.

I installed Yosemite on my late 2008 MacBook Pro. No issues until I shutdown. Now it is dead. Genious said the installation probably stressed the board. Perhaps they should not have allowed it to be installed on older machines. Not happy.

Luap

macrumors 65816
Jul 5, 2004
I installed Yosemite on my late 2008 MacBook Pro. No issues until I shutdown. Now it is dead. Genious said the installation probably stressed the board. Perhaps they should not have allowed it to be installed on older machines. Not happy.

I don't get what that has to do with iCloud drive?

iPhenom

macrumors regular
Jan 10, 2013
Wonder how we will get iCloud on our phones like Apple shows on their site. See attached picture

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-10-19 at 9.42.52 PM??.png
    Screen Shot 2014-10-19 at 9.42.52 PM??.png
    791 KB · Views: 81

samiznaetekto

macrumors 65816
Dec 26, 2009
We just need to do a mass exodus from the iCrap*. Now, on a count of 3, 2, 1...

*I did, follow me!

----------

There is an app called Cloud Drive Explorer. It's free and works like a first party app should, in that it gives you access to your cloud drive, much like Dropbox or Box.

Give it a shot, may solve your issue.

NEVER use any app that asks for your credentials for iCloud, Dropbox, OneDrive, Google Drive, etc. (except for the apps from the vendor itself). It's like giving a key to your house to some random guy on a street who promises to clean your mess.

AnsonX10

macrumors member
Apr 20, 2009
4/20
So everyone that can't* upgrade to iOS 8 out of luck. Upgrading to iCloud drive will screw their existing iCloud functionality. iCloud still works/worked perfectly on iOS 5 and the old iWork apps.

*edit: Or chooses not to, which is not unreasonable.

Mike Boreham

macrumors 68040
Aug 10, 2006
UK
We just need to do a mass exodus from the iCrap*. Now, on a count of 3, 2, 1...

*I did, follow me!

----------

NEVER use any app that asks for your credentials for iCloud, Dropbox, OneDrive, Google Drive, etc. (except for the apps from the vendor itself). It's like giving a key to your house to some random guy on a street who promises to clean your mess.

It doesn't (ask for your credentials)

It, like hundreds of others, has access your iCloud Drive, which is what Apple intends should happen.

Patriot24

macrumors 68030
Dec 29, 2010
California
I really like iCloud Drive, but Apple definitely needs to go further to address the competition and make it more usable.

Here are some of the things I'd like to see sooner rather than later:

1. Family Sharing - Now that we're sharing photos, apps, songs, movies, books, location, calendars, and credit cards with our families we may as well share files as well. I am not sure if this manifests itself in the form of total access to a family member's drive or just a shared folder, but it would certainly be handy.
  2. Sharing Links - It seems that Apple is content pushing users to send their files as attachments through various services, but does not have a solution similar to that of Dropbox that allows a user to create a link to a file for download from their drive. Why limit sharing to a send and a receive when it could just be a download by the recipient?
  3. Time Machine Backups - Assuming you have the requisite amount of iCloud storage, why not allow users to perform Time Machine backups to iCloud Drive as a standard, integrated feature? Many users are already doing this today via third party cloud backup providers. How many Genius Bar appointments would be saved if users could restore their systems over wi-fi (albeit lengthy) as iOS devices do already?
  4. Preview on iOS - If I am out and about and need to look at a document on my iPhone or iPad, I have to open an iCloud Drive-enabled app and dig through the document picker to open the file. A version of Preview on iOS that shows all of my files and allows me to preview any document would be a huge time-saver. There have been rumors in the past of the existence such an app. Maybe next year?
  5. A Simple Status Indicator - There are indicators for upload progress in Finder today, but it would be nice to know if iCloud Drive is currently syncing files, is up-to-date, is not connected to the internet, etc.
  6. Delete on Device, Keep in the Cloud - If you attempt to delete a file you are met with a warning stating that deleting the file will result in it no longer being available on any device. This is somewhat perplexing since Apple has taught us with iTunes Match that deleting a file on your device leaves the copy in the cloud to be re-downloaded later. In fact, this is one of the core tenants that Jobs preached about when he first introduced iCloud, saying, "the truth is on the cloud."
  7. iCloud Drive is the File System - Upon upgrading to Yosemite and iCloud Drive, users are presented with an interesting dilemma every time they want to save something. Do I save a document in iCloud Drive in a folder called "Documents" or in the top-level "Documents" folder in Finder? What is the difference? Why would I not want this document to be stored, synced, and available on my other devices? Eventually, it probably makes sense to promote iCloud Drive to the parent for all files and folders. That is to say, "iCloud Drive" as a location in Finder would cease to exist and all of the current locations would sync into your drive. iCloudBook Air, anyone?
- Thoughts on iCloud Drive

Overall it is going to be a great solution for novice users that just want to make sure their documents are safe and accessible on all of their devices. Hopefully Apple keeps building upon it.

josephd

macrumors member
Feb 20, 2013
OS X Yosemite Launch Brings Fully Functional iCloud Drive to Mac and iOS

but note that you can access ALL of icloud drive from other apps that can work with files of any type. for example, if you open DropBox, hit the "+" to add a new file, you will be presented w/ a file chooser and can pick "iCloud Drice" and from there browse thru all the files just as you were on your mac or icloud.com.

so really access depends on the app and what it wants to do.

Where in Dropbox do you see iCloud Drive? I click the plus, and when I click on more, only Dropbox is there.

Edit: my bad, operator error.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.