Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stephen1108

macrumors 65816
Sep 30, 2007
iOS 8 is just a mess. I've been getting these resprings too. I've even gotten a blue screen of death. Orientation bugs, you name em and I've experienced it.

Future software updates should rectify these issues.

kchloee

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2014
Happened to me a few times during the first week I had my Plus... the latest update seemed to fix it.

Woochifer

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2007
It actually sounds like this issue is more specific to the iPhone 6/6 Plus, and a few have already chimed in that a hardware bug caused it.

Those who say that they restored their phone. Are you referring to a restore to factory settings? Or just a restore from backup?

Restoring to factory settings and then setting it back up as a new phone should be the starting point. If the random restarts don't occur, then try restoring from backup and see if anything changes. Also, you might want to try the restore using iTunes rather than OTA, since it seems that the iOS 8 issues disproportionally affect those who updated OTA.

The "white screen of death" bug that accompanied iOS 7 was a firmware issue and caused problems across all iPhone models. The random restart issues with iOS 8 don't seem nearly as widespread.

FWIW, I have not had a single random reset since updating to iOS 8. And the only app crashes occurred with apps that already frequently crashed in 7.1.2.

----------

Now in my reloading, I noticed about 1/3 of my apps are NO LONGER ON THE APP STORE, I am loading all from my phone, and I tap the app to see if it is still available and I want/need it, if after clicking on the app, if the store just spins then it is an old (no longer available in the app store) app and I don't download it, I also check when the last update to the app was, if it is 2009 ish I think about if I will use it or not to load it back.

In this process I have purchased in the past, EA games, that now EA has abandoned on the app store and came out with new versions, MANY so be advised not to spend money with them unless you use the game now, cause in the future they will abandon it for sure. Others may have also, I just noticed them for now. I have not loaded any of the abandoned games or apps from anyone as of now.

Do you have an old local backup that you can use?

The OTA updates will reload everything from the app store, whereas restoring from a local backup will reload whatever version (and game data and settings) was locally backed up using iTunes.

dfran1

macrumors 6502
Apr 18, 2008
Hi all!!!!

Ok first, PLEASE lets calm down a little....... (meaning lets not think it is hardware related until you follow the steps below PLEASE)

Ok now that we are calm, lets take this in baby steps PLEASE.

Lets understand something related to ALL computer devices.

1. When we get our devices (computers, mini computers, that is what they really are), we load programs / apps in this case, and an app is only as good as a developer writes/programs it. SO we get good, great, fair, and finally JUNK apps that put junk on our computers / SMART PHONES (mini computers).

2. How do we get rid of or even find the junk and fair apps.... NOW that is the best question.
A. Try to find apps that freeze a lot.
B. Try to find apps that don't open.
C. Try to find apps that are not updated enough or at all.
D. Try to find apps that are no longer in the app store (this was my culprit most likely)
E. If A, B, C and D are taking us too long or not possible to find then use option F.
F. Format the computer and start from scratch or in this case Wipe the phone completely and activate as a new iPhone.

3. Sometimes programs and apps can find others that are causing or caused issues and those programs or apps can fix the issues (like restoring from a backup in our case's) BUT other times NOTHING will work but a format (wipe and set up as a new iPhone).

4. If after you have tried
A. wipe and restore
B. wipe and set up as a new iPhone
C. LOADED very little apps (after you did B) for a few days to make sure one of your favorite apps is not causing the issue (due to it not being happy with the OS or the developer screwed up, they are human).
and neither has fixed your issue THEN YOUR device is most likely defective.

Now the Wipe and start as a new iPhone worked for me, I have not seen one reboot yet and I am going on a week (this weekend), Now I also did not load any apps that are not available in the app store, AND I was picky as to load apps that have not been updated for 2-5 years, on those apps I looked at the reviews and if others had negative about the app not performing and not getting updated then I did not load it.

Do you have an old local backup that you can use?

The OTA updates will reload everything from the app store, whereas restoring from a local backup will reload whatever version (and game data and settings) was locally backed up using iTunes.

I have loaded from my backups many times before I posted here (I do not back up to the cloud, only to my computer) So yes, maybe if I did the cloud, a restore then would have MAYBE worked, but a good flush is good for computers and mini computers (smart phones) from time to time, especially going to a new major OS update like IOS8.

My androids would also need a flush after a major update or they hiccupped and chugged also, I know IOS is better BUT IF we encounter these hiccups we need to follow these instructions.

I hope this info is helpful, Thank you for your time and PATIENCE.

EDIT: Please learn from my stubbornness, by not starting from scratch until after a phone replacement, that did NOTHING for me.

Last edited:

nin7474

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 29, 2009
Update-10/13
No random/sudden short restarts since the last one I posted.
Hopefully everyone is doing better with their issue too.

Carlo1717

macrumors newbie
Sep 25, 2014
I went to Apple and they replaced my phone on the 9th and so far no reboots on the new phone they suspected it was a hardware issue. We will see.

3bs

macrumors 603
May 20, 2011
Dublin, Ireland
Update-10/13
No random/sudden short restarts since the last one I posted.
Hopefully everyone is doing better with their issue too.

I'd say it's happened to me about 5-6 times since I got it on the 19th and it's still happening on 8.0.2 iPhone 6. I restored from a backup from my 5S.

bhaffar

macrumors newbie
Oct 28, 2010
I'd say it's happened to me about 5-6 times since I got it on the 19th and it's still happening on 8.0.2 iPhone 6. I restored from a backup from my 5S.

Same thing with me - happened with 8.0.0 and 8.0.2 (I skipped 8.0.1) on iPhone 6 (Verizon) using Straight Talk ATT SIM card. Restored 5s backup on new 6. Phone seems to randomly go to black screen with white Apple logo as if it wants to reboot but then comes back to main screen with my apps within 10 seconds or so. Turning the phone completely off and back on again doesn't seem to stop it from happening.

Elibruh

macrumors newbie
Oct 16, 2014
I got my iPhone 6 128gb on 9/19. Since that Friday, it has restarted twice by itself.
Actually it was both today. Still on iOS 8.
Anyone else experience their 6 restarting by itself?
Same thing I have a iPhone 6 plus 16gb for about 3 weeks now and I'll be writing a text or browsing the web minding my own business when it just randomly restarts but doesn't complety turn of

PrettyJoanna

macrumors newbie
Oct 20, 2014
I have this problem but worse. I got my phone about a week ago and it keeps restarting back to back. The little apple will pop up and then restart again and it did that all night. It also wont charge past 41%.

Sparkeze

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2014
Indiana
Just updated to 8.1 an hour ago and it just did a quick restart. I think I'm going to do a full restore and add each app back individually

Carlo1717

macrumors newbie
Sep 25, 2014
Just a update ever since I got my iPhone 6 replaced 2 weeks ago not a single reboot which make me think it's a hardware issue. Return your phone and get another one and don't spend another minute guessing and wasting your time.

bhaffar

macrumors newbie
Oct 28, 2010
Just a update ever since I got my iPhone 6 replaced 2 weeks ago not a single reboot which make me think it's a hardware issue. Return your phone and get another one and don't spend another minute guessing and wasting your time.

Glad to hear your problems disappeared after the replacement. I am with Apple chat right now and they are giving me a hard time about express shipping. Did you buy applecare or purchase express shipping or did they give it to you? I'm of the opinion that those of us early adopters who took a chance on the new iPhone 6 and have issues with them should get complimentary express shipping but this chat rep I'm talking with right now will not budge at all.

Carlo1717

macrumors newbie
Sep 25, 2014
Yeah I too got the iPhone 6 on launch day and did get applecare+ but I just made an appointment and walked in and they checked my crash rate which was 48 crashes and they told me it's most likely a hardware issue and they replaced it without any questions. It's was after my 14 day return period I also felt it was a hardware issue since my wife and my brother and a few friends that I know did not have the reboot issue using iPhone 6 64gb with more apps installed on their phone than mine running the same iOS version.

bhaffar

macrumors newbie
Oct 28, 2010
Yeah I too got the iPhone 6 on launch day and did get applecare+ but I just made an appointment and walked in and they checked my crash rate which was 48 crashes and they told me it's most likely a hardware issue and they replaced it without any questions. It's was after my 14 day return period I also felt it was a hardware issue since my wife and my brother and a few friends that I know did not have the reboot issue using iPhone 6 64gb with more apps installed on their phone than mine running the same iOS version.

Thanks for sharing.

DARKiLLUSiON

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2007
Toronto, Canada
Happen to me twice so far too, it flickers and the apple logo shows up for a split second and back to the lock screen. It boots up too quickly for be a reboot and everything seems to be ok but if it gets worst then I'll have to make a visit to the store.

Last edited:

dfran1

macrumors 6502
Apr 18, 2008
If you are having reboot issues

1. Wipe phone

2. Make sure you wipe everything , get into menu and wipe again , just to be sure.

3. Restore as a new iPhone

Someone I know just did a wipe for another problem they had , and they set it up as new when they purchased also

Myself I swapped my phone and it did nothing , I had to do my steps above , and never a single reboot !

Then if I his does not help , get a new phone .

SidBoggle

macrumors regular
Sep 30, 2007
Bucks, UK
Mine does seem a little better since the 8.1 update but I still have a had a couple of resprings since updating. Has happened when I double click the home button to view other tasks.

In settings->privacy->diagnostics and usage->diagnostics and usage data I have loads of SpringBoardxxxxxxx logs. Each tallies with these mini reboots. In here you can see which thread triggered the exception. In my case SBAppSwitcherSnapshotView.

Oh well here is hoping for 8.2 beta. I really don't want to have to start from scratch with a blank phone. I have a loads of data that would take me ages to recreate. Right pain in the aris.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.