Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

17MBPC2D

macrumors regular
Nov 12, 2006
Lots of bad information in this thread. at&t will unlock the offed device after you've waited out the 14-day return period even if you're in the middle of a contract. If you're getting denied after 14 days, something is wrong from their end and I'd suggest escalating the issue.

THE ABOVE IS 100% CORRECT....thanks

Shadowbech

macrumors G3
Oct 18, 2011
There are two different things. The contract for your phone line, and your commitment to pay back the supplemented cost for your phone (so that you can unlock it). Switching to the next does void your line contract and put you under a new next contract. This does not guarantee that they will unlock your phone.

ah right

mdlooker

macrumors 65816
Mar 7, 2011
US
As I said, you might get someone to do it, but that is not their policy. Unless you have paid for the phone they do not unlock (unless you have a business account).

Because people do it after escalation does not change the policy.

Customer service can't do it but they can create a case to have it escalated with exception.

I believe if you try to do it through the defaulted request device unlock page, as others have said, the computer will probably see that the device is "still under contract" and automatically deny the request.

JT2002TJ

macrumors 68000
Nov 7, 2013
Customer service can't do it but they can create a case to have it escalated with exception.

I believe if you try to do it through the defaulted request device unlock page, as others have said, the computer will probably see that the device is "still under contract" and automatically deny the request.

I agree. This is why I never said it is impossible. Anything can be done, but they don't have to.

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota

I've successfully unlocked two devices in the middle of a contract using the default request device unlock page after device swapping the new iPhone from a different line to my line. The only requirement is I had to wait out the 14 day buyers remorse period. This policy is in effect to prevent people from unlocking the offed device then changing their mind and returning the new iPhone while still in the middle of a contract.

mdlooker

macrumors 65816
Mar 7, 2011
US
I've successfully unlocked two devices in the middle of a contract using the default request device unlock page after device swapping the new iPhone from a different line to my line. The only requirement is I had to wait out the 14 day buyers remorse period. This policy is in effect to prevent people from unlocking the offed device then changing their mind and returning the new iPhone while still in the middle of a contract.

Okay I'll keep that in mind. Thanks for the correction.

Slicktype

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 8, 2011
Sorry, I have been MIA since starting this thread. Thanks for all reply's.
I just wanted to inform anyone that is wondering the same question.
AT&T will indeed unlock your old device if not met the two year contract term if the new phone was purchased retail and has met their 14 day buyers remorse period.
I found this out by calling and explaininig my situation. The one issue that I experienced was submitting an unlock request through AT&T's web site.
I had to personally call them and the rep had to manually submit a written unlocking request to a supervisor to have my 5S unlocked. The web site recognized my phone as still being under the two year contract which resulted in a reject email every time.
My current plan: Mobileshare value plan (2 lines) with 30GB and unlimited talk and text. My two year contract is up September 2015.

terraphantm

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2009
Pennsylvania
Lots of bad information in this thread. at&t will unlock the offed device after you've waited out the 14-day return period even if you're in the middle of a contract. If you're getting denied after 14 days, something is wrong from their end and I'd suggest escalating the issue.
There is indeed a lot of bad information here. What you're saying only applies if you do an early upgrade. When you sign a new 24 month contract, the old one is considered fulfilled.

If you buy the phone retail (like the OP did), the contract isn't extended, so the old phone is not eligible to be unlocked. The new phone however is eligible to be unlocked since it was never a part of a contract

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
There is indeed a lot of bad information here. What you're saying only applies if you do an early upgrade. When you sign a new 24 month contract, the old one is considered fulfilled.

If you buy the phone retail (like the OP did), the contract isn't extended, so the old phone is not eligible to be unlocked. The new phone however is eligible to be unlocked since it was never a part of a contract

No, that's partly incorrect. Device swapping a new iPhone from another line to a iPhone still in the middle of the contract will make the offed device eligible to be unlocked after 14 days, and you're not extending nor fulfilling that contract. I've done it a few times so it doesn't only apply to early upgrades.

terraphantm

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2009
Pennsylvania
No, that's partly incorrect. Device swapping a new iPhone from another line to a iPhone still in the middle of the contract will make the offed device eligible to be unlocked after 14 days, and you're not extending nor fulfilling that contract. I've done it a few times so it doesn't only apply to early upgrades.

You slipped through the cracks then. The official policy differs

Tinmania

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2011
Aridzona
You slipped through the cracks then. The official policy differs

Apparently you didn't read the OP's update to his unlock request.

So the OP did it, I've done it, and the other people who said this is the norm did it. Doesn't look like "slipping through the cracks" to me.

Michael

Last edited by a moderator:

terraphantm

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2009
Pennsylvania
Apparently you didn't read the OP's update to his unlock request.

So the OP did it, I've done it, and the other people who said this is the norm did it. Doesn't look like "slipping through the cracks" to me.

Michael

It's not their official policy. Looks like reps are bending the rules (may also depend on ARPU). I guess I could get my 5S unlocked if I really want to by calling

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
It's not their official policy. Looks like reps are bending the rules (may also depend on ARPU). I guess I could get my 5S unlocked if I really want to by calling

Being authorized to unlock the offed device when doing device swap (or "cross upgrade") has been allowed for years now. Just because they don't like to advertise cross-upgrading (because they lose money that way) doesn't mean we're slipping through the cracks. It has always been allowed per their internal policy.

terraphantm

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2009
Pennsylvania
Being authorized to unlock the offed device when doing device swap (or "cross upgrade") has been allowed for years now. Just because they don't like to advertise cross-upgrading (because they lose money that way) doesn't mean we're slipping through the cracks. It has always been allowed per their internal policy.

If it's always been allowed then the online requests wouldn't be denied.

Official policy: https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/

Tinmania

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2011
Aridzona

I'm sure it is more than that. There isn't much of a downside for AT&T.

1.) The person is still under contract. I would venture the number of people who just bought a phone to use on AT&T are not looking to leave AT&T. The number of people who would burn AT&T on whatever is left on the ETF just to get away with the unlocked phone is probably insignificant at best.

2.) Despite being able to tout the phone as "unlocked" a majority, if sold, will probably generate revenue for AT&T anyway: either directly, through an MVNO, or via roaming. That locked phone could be placed into a drawer and let sit dormant and there is nothing AT&T could do about it.

3.) Goodwill.

Michael

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
If it's always been allowed then the online requests wouldn't be denied.

Official policy: https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/

Wrong. I've successfully unlocked the offed device using the online request twice in the past when doing "cross upgrade" despite not being in the official policy.

The online requests are not always reliable (but improving). If you'll do a search, you'll see that many members have reported being denied despite having an "official" reason.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
If you they offer you an early upgrade (it wont be a year early, since the OP is talking about a 5s) they will unlock it (this is like a month or two). If you switch to a Next, without fulfilling the contract, you haven't paid off the phone yet, so they wont. At least that is how I understand it.

We were able to get new devices on next before our contracts were over. As soon as we switched over to Next, our current contract was considered fulfilled. They unlocked the phones for us when we requested them two weeks later.

(sorry for the late response, haven't logged in a while)

ssl0408

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2013
New York
I upgraded via NEXT and 2 days later I submitted an unlock request for the 5S that I purchased last November. I did not have to wait 14 days, so I'm not sure that that's right either. I did the online request for what it's worth.

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
I upgraded via NEXT and 2 days later I submitted an unlock request for the 5S that I purchased last November. I did not have to wait 14 days, so I'm not sure that that's right either. I did the online request for what it's worth.

It's different with NEXT because they consider the old contract fulfilled. The 14-day buyer remorse period doesn't apply if the contract is fulfilled, either by waiting the full two years or by switching to NEXT.

richard13

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2008
Odessa, FL
It seems to me that subsidized phones are locked for a reason. The carrier wants to make their money back. If you decide to walk away from your contract and the phone is locked you can't use it elsewhere. Sure they still have you under contract but it's much harder to enforce it with an unlocked phone.

In this particular case the OP says he bought the iPhone 6 retail. I take this to mean that he has an unlocked, contract free phone that he wants to now swap in for his old phone on contract. I just don't see AT&T saying "oh ok, we'll unlock your old device even though we have no control over your new one. We trust you to honor your contract."

If the new phone is indeed locked then I don't see what the hub-bub is about.

Tinmania

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2011
Aridzona
It seems to me that subsidized phones are locked for a reason. The carrier wants to make their money back. If you decide to walk away from your contract and the phone is locked you can't use it elsewhere. Sure they still have you under contract but it's much harder to enforce it with an unlocked phone.

In this particular case the OP says he bought the iPhone 6 retail. I take this to mean that he has an unlocked, contract free phone that he wants to now swap in for his old phone on contract. I just don't see AT&T saying "oh ok, we'll unlock your old device even though we have no control over your new one. We trust you to honor your contract."

If the new phone is indeed locked then I don't see what the hub-bub is about.

Did you even read beyond the first post? Good lord.

Michael

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.