Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

flux73

macrumors 65816
May 29, 2009

Apparently you have boxy legs.

My legs have a bit of a curve to them. I'm sorry for my genetic mutation.
First of all, we can't verify the legitimacy of his complaint. He could have very well had a 9 year old child sitting on his lap during the wedding that he forgot about. He could have been leaning over a sink with his phone on the edge that he didn't even notice.

Second of all, that's not the way the phone was bent. The bend doesn't follow the curvature of a leg - there's not enough force. The only way there's enough force to bend the phone the way it was shown in the photo is if somehow his pocket and where the phone rests was over the bending point between your leg and your pelvis/waist. Even then, it's highly implausible. Why? ...

You need a fulcrum point. Anyone who's taken basic physics understands this. Note in the bending videos, the two thumbs provides that fulcrum point. In your front pocket, where is that fulcrum? The cloth on your pants? Seriously? Prove me wrong - try to bend your phone without placing your thumbs on the back of the phone.

What I'm saying is, try it out for yourself to assess the real-life risk of this happening. Is there any torque being applied to YOUR phone as it sits in your front pocket when you sit? My argument is that this doesn't happen to the vast majority of people and without a fulcrum point. This has nothing to do with the curvature of your leg. :rolleyes:

On a final note - the level of critical thinking in this forum is depressing. This reminds me of all the people online who insisted there was a critical design flaw with the Tesla Model S last year when a guy in Washington hit a large piece of metal shrapnel on the highway and a fire started in the battery pack. Nobody was hurt and the car performed exactly as designed, protecting the driver from the flames. But somehow, it became the hottest topic on wall street, stock forums, and car forums for the next month - "Is Tesla doomed??" Hysteria apparently has no use for logic.

Last edited:

benji888

macrumors 68000
Sep 27, 2006
United States
That was a waste of 7 minutes.
I couldn't get past the shifty eyed guy who tried so hard to bend the phones that he couldn't always do it (you figure this out less than 2 minutes in), so I stopped.

This conversation needs to stop already. No one is out there trying to bend their aluminum laptops. Would you?

DO THIS: Sit on the hood of your car, is it bent? No? Sit on it harder, just land your butt on there, bent yet? Try jumping on it, how many times can you jump on it before it bends? You have a defective hood! Cheap! Recall! ...don't ever buy a car from them!

:rolleyes:

Last edited:

Trapezoid

macrumors 65816
Mar 19, 2014
I couldn't get past the shifty eyed guy who tried so hard to bend the phones that he couldn't always do it (you figure this out less than 2 minutes in), so I stopped.

This conversation needs to stop already. No one is out there trying to bend their aluminum laptops. Would you?

DO THIS: Sit on the hood of your car, is it bent? No? Sit on it harder, just land your butt on there, bent yet? Try jumping on it, how many times can you jump on it before it bends? You have a defective hood! Cheap! Recall! ...don't ever buy a car from them!

If your hood bends if you jump on it it's a clear design flaw.

Zxxv

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2011
UK

seemed you missed the 80's

was well tested. Each and every week. Maybe your young :D

VFC

macrumors 6502a
Feb 6, 2012
SE PA.
First of all, we can't verify the legitimacy of his complaint. He could have very well had a 9 year old child sitting on his lap during the wedding that he forgot about. He could have been leaning over a sink with his phone on the edge that he didn't even notice.

Second of all, that's not the way the phone was bent. The bend doesn't follow the curvature of a leg - there's not enough force. The only way there's enough force to bend the phone the way it was shown in the photo is if somehow his pocket and where the phone rests was over the bending point between your leg and your pelvis/waist. Even then, it's highly implausible. Why? ...

You need a fulcrum point. Anyone who's taken basic physics understands this. Note in the bending videos, the two thumbs provides that fulcrum point. In your front pocket, where is that fulcrum? The cloth on your pants? Seriously? Prove me wrong - try to bend your phone without placing your thumbs on the back of the phone.

What I'm saying is, try it out for yourself to assess the real-life risk of this happening. Is there any torque being applied to YOUR phone as it sits in your front pocket when you sit? My argument is that this doesn't happen to the vast majority of people and without a fulcrum point. This has nothing to do with the curvature of your leg. :rolleyes:

If the front pockets are large enough, and the phone moved horizontally in the pocket, the thigh becomes the fulcrum point.

Now imagine bending down with a phone horizontally in your front pocket, your thigh muscles will be stiff and the pants will pull tight down over the two ends of the phone. Also consider that the skinnier your legs are the more concentrated the force will be at the fulcrum. That scenario seems very plausible to me.

VFC

macrumors 6502a
Feb 6, 2012
SE PA.
I'm also an engineer. Try a more realistic story. You drive an SUV.

You have a deeply pitched driveway hill from the main road. You also drive in snow a lot.

You buy an expensive sporty (non SUV) Corvette or Ferrari. Now you find that your low front scoop/ bumper bottoms out up your driveway or your low road clearance prevents you from driving in high snow.

Is that the expensive car's fault? Or did you not think things through correctly?

Having 1-3 report a bending problem out of 10 million is not a problem any car company would respond too. They'd say you need the all terrain package- a tough rigid case by analogy.

I think a better analogy is buying the newly redesigned Hummer and having the front suspension bend when you hit a pothole (normal size pothole you encounter all the time). Now imagine a number of other Hummer owners reporting the same problem. You have an expectation a Hummer should survive a pothole encounter at least as well as the previous model Hummers and better than an ordinary car.

Last edited:

bobob

macrumors 68040
Jan 11, 2008

Sensible analysis.

Interestingly, the originator of the bending rumor - MacRumors member "Hanzoh", has not posted again on the forums after kicking off all this discussion.

benji888

macrumors 68000
Sep 27, 2006
United States
If your hood bends if you jump on it it's a clear design flaw.
You're jumping on it wrong.
seemed you missed the 80's

was well tested. Each and every week. Maybe your young :D

YouTube: video

yeah, I'm old enough, saw every episode of duke's of hazzard, saw all of those shows, but, that's hollywood, no one can hold on like that and not fall off (1), (2) hoods aren't made like that anymore. Some are aluminum now.

I just think this "it bends" conversation is as stupid as saying the hood bends on your car if you stand on it. Try hard enough you can bend or break anything.

Let's all sit on our aluminum laptops now and see if they bend. :rolleyes:

Sensible analysis.

Interestingly, the originator of the bending rumor - MacRumors member "Hanzoh", has not posted again on the forums after kicking off all this discussion.
Of course he hasn't, he just likes to stir up trouble. :p

Anyone here realize that reality TV does not = reality?

bobob

macrumors 68040
Jan 11, 2008
Of course he hasn't, he just likes to stir up trouble. :p

Anyone here realize that reality TV does not = reality?

Perhaps I am most surprised at MacRumors role in all of this.

They plucked Hanzoh's comment from the forums, ran it up into an international incident, spun it off into five or six front page stories - - yet never followed up with the original "victim".

You're absolutely right, it's reality TV posing as journalism.

benji888

macrumors 68000
Sep 27, 2006
United States
Perhaps I am most surprised at MacRumors role in all of this.

They plucked Hanzoh's comment from the forums, ran it up into an international incident, spun it off into five or six front page stories - - yet never followed up with the original "victim".

You're absolutely right, it's reality TV posing as journalism.
Well, it is called MacRumors, so, should we expect more? Unfortunately, or fortunately, however you want to look at it, this site does have some useful information in the forums, and sometimes we get a good article from them, but, mostly, like too many websites today, they try to be first with anything that has to do with apple, and hope to get more website hits (attention).

WestonHarvey1

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2007
Sensible analysis.

Not surprising - I'd head for the hills too. He's probably worried about getting dox'd on Reddit and having his life ruined or disrupted... "for the lulz".

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
How can u not feel this ?

It's thin ya, but u can still feel it in your pocket... It's not that light.

All i gotta say is, this bending will just add to the amount of dropped iPhones go in to an Apple Store.

If so many of us are now "accidental" bending too, then I predict double the numbers of phones Apple gets back now.

What did Apple get into.. :rolleyes:

hachiman

macrumors regular
Jan 31, 2008
Maybe this was an unadvertised feature, a bendable phone, not just a bendable display. :D

I guess some things getting bent isn't a very good thing. :p

Mad Bob

macrumors newbie
Apr 19, 2009
I know people must be getting fed up with the discussions on bent phones, but I have had my plus for less than a week, and yesterday after seeing a report on a phone that appeared to have twisted after regular use, I decided to test mine.

I took it out of the case and sat it screen down on a flat surface, and low an behold, the phone rocked from corner to corner. It doesn't affect the use of the device in any way, but after forking out over £700, and owning it less than a week, it is a bit frustrating to have it happen.

I always wear loose fitting trousers, and its been in a case since the day I got it. Anyway, I then held it at the very ends of the phone and applied a tiny amount of force to see if it would twist straight, and when checking it again, it had over twisted. This phone is extremely fragile.

Ok it wont bend in half easily, but it will twist, extremely easily. People are obsessed with the whole bending in half issue, which was obviously blown out of proportion, I'm not sure how many people are checking if their phones have twisted though.

Tinmania

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2011
Aridzona
I'm sorry, but what is this retarded so-called "test"? You took it out, sat it down on a flat surface but you FORGOT that the camera is protruding? Holy crap, you're the most ignorant sob I've seen yet.

You called him ignorant yet were incapable of comprehending "screen down."

Unbelievable.

Michael

justinf77

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2003
I know people must be getting fed up with the discussions on bent phones, but I have had my plus for less than a week, and yesterday after seeing a report on a phone that appeared to have twisted after regular use, I decided to test mine.

I took it out of the case and sat it screen down on a flat surface, and low an behold, the phone rocked from corner to corner. It doesn't affect the use of the device in any way, but after forking out over £700, and owning it less than a week, it is a bit frustrating to have it happen.

I always wear loose fitting trousers, and its been in a case since the day I got it. Anyway, I then held it at the very ends of the phone and applied a tiny amount of force to see if it would twist straight, and when checking it again, it had over twisted. This phone is extremely fragile.

Ok it wont bend in half easily, but it will twist, extremely easily. People are obsessed with the whole bending in half issue, which was obviously blown out of proportion, I'm not sure how many people are checking if their phones have twisted though.

This is exactly what happened to me. I also tried twisting it back and was very surprised by the tiny amount of pressure it took to do so. In fact, if I notice any wobble at all, the first thing I do is twist the phone back into shape.

I don't want people to get the wrong impression. I'm not applying a substantial amount of pressure to twist the phone back into shape. It's ridiculously easy to do so. This is why I think there's actual substance this bendgate issue (as much as I hate to use that word).

The people making videos in which they intentionally bend their phones using a lot of pressure are just taking attention away from people, like myself, who have bent phones from normal usage. It's easy to say, "Hey, look all these idiots bending their phones on purpose. Of course metal bends if you apply that much pressure to it!" I was one of those people. It's very different, though, when a phone just bends in your pocket from what should be normal usage situations.

That said, I'm not too concerned about the slight bend for now. The phone still works perfectly and I'm not about to demand a replacement from Apple which will likely have the same issue.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.