Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JuryDuty

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 22, 2014
Texas
I'm a recent Mac convert and the one thing I really miss from my Windows world is a good Gmail notifier. Any recommendations?

A few caveats:
  1. I prefer to use Gmail within the browser itself, so I don't want a notifier that has its own interface for the service.
  2. Likewise, I prefer not to use another email application, like Mail.
  3. It would be nice if when mail arrived it briefly showed you the email subject with the notification, but then left an unread count in the taskbar.

It could be possible something like this is even built into the Mac and I just don't know about it. I'm a new user, so any help is appreciated.

raccoontail

macrumors regular
Jul 5, 2007
I'd recommend Mailplane. It's a single site browser (yes a separate app), but I love having my email separate form other tabs I have open. The notifications work well and it does show unread count up in the top bar. It also has some integration with your mac's contacts application.

JuryDuty

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 22, 2014
Texas
I'd recommend Mailplane. It's a single site browser (yes a separate app), but I love having my email separate form other tabs I have open. The notifications work well and it does show unread count up in the top bar. It also has some integration with your mac's contacts application.

Wow--I REALLY like Mailplane. The only thing that keeps it from working for me is that while it works with other plugins, it doesn't seem to work with Yesware (which gives me read receipts). Shoot! I really liked that one, too!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.