Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
I'll admit it. I experienced hate at first sight. I still hate it. It think it's ugly and I'm really disappointed over the price point. Unfortunately, I am a tech geek. As much as I've tried to resist it, I am certain I will buy one, and the thought of it doesn't make me happy. I am sure I will be sorry that I bought it, and/or wished I would have waited for the 2nd edition. It doesn't matter. Knowing all that, I'll still buy it.

I'd say that's pretty stupid. If you've got the disposable cash give it to charity instead. :)

GrimmsGirl

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2013
I'd say that's pretty stupid. If you've got the disposable cash give it to charity instead. :)

I and my family is my favorite charity. Friends benefit as well from my disposable cash. The US economy also benefits from my disposable cash. What I choose to do with my money is my business. What you choose to do with yours is your business. I wouldn't call you stupid for giving money to charity if that's what you chose to do. Even though I might think it. ;)

SHNXX

macrumors 68000
Oct 2, 2013
I and my family is my favorite charity. Friends benefit as well from my disposable cash. The US economy also benefits from my disposable cash. What I choose to do with my money is my business. What you choose to do with yours is your business. I wouldn't call you stupid for giving money to charity if that's what you chose to do. Even though I might think it. ;)

It's crazy how people give unprovoked financial advice to strangers around here.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011

I just think it's odd you would spend money on something you hate and think is ugly.

ttmrn

macrumors regular
Oct 6, 2014
tx
Initially when i watched the keynote, i was thinking.. omfg that shyt looks ugly. They shld have gotten some hot dude/gal to wear and present the :apple:watch.

now, with all the advertisements and photos of celebrities wearing them - i think they look pretty nice actually.

GrimmsGirl

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2013
I just think it's odd you would spend money on something you hate and think is ugly.

I didn't say I hate the watch. I hate the way it looks and I'm disappointed with the price. I said I suspect I may be sorry I didn't wait for :apple: watch 2 or 3 instead of jumping on the first release. Be that as it may, I've been waiting a long time for the watch. I don't hate what it is, or the functionality I hope it will provide. I've almost pulled the trigger several times on a Pebble, but instead decided to wait to see the Apple offering.

Hate is such a strong word. I would describe my initial feelings towards it as unnecessary, not justified, and expensive.

It's probably my deep rooted fanboyism talking, but I've definitely felt a bit of a shift towards wanting one... What it's probably going to come down to is if it's allowed at my work. I work at a location where most electronic devices aren't allowed. I have a feeling that the bluetooth and wifi capability will make it a no-go. It would be crippled anyway, because I don't have my iPhone at work, but I'm not gonna buy a watchthat I can only wear on evenings and weekends..

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
...What it's probably going to come down to is if it's allowed at my work. I work at a location where most electronic devices aren't allowed. I have a feeling that the bluetooth and wifi capability will make it a no-go....

It has Airplane mode.;)

rkuo

macrumors 65816
Sep 25, 2010
I never hated the way it looked, But it does seem a bit thick in pictures. I know myself well enough to not assume I will hate or love something until I get a hands on look at it.

leenak

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2011
It has Airplane mode.;)

I don't think that matters. I know in some places dumb pedometers aren't allowed in so I doubt that a wifi/bluetooth capable watch would be if you work in a restrictive environment.

It has Airplane mode.;)

I don't think that matters. I know in some places dumb pedometers aren't allowed in so I doubt that a wifi/bluetooth capable watch would be if you work in a restrictive environment.

Right, unfortunately it wouldn't be as simple as turning in airplane mode. The microphone/recording capability would probably be another no-go. Oh well, maybe it's for the best. I should be working elsewhere around th watch 2 launch, so this can just help me be patient :p

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
Right, unfortunately it wouldn't be as simple as turning in airplane mode. The microphone/recording capability would probably be another no-go. Oh well, maybe it's for the best. I should be working elsewhere around th watch 2 launch, so this can just help me be patient :p

Probably not much help but I don't believe it has voice recording ability (although someone maybe could make an App???). It looks like the mic/speaker is only used in iPhone paring (unless I'm missing something).

FurElise

macrumors newbie
Oct 3, 2014
Midwest, USA
My fitbit has died and am unwilling to plunk down another 100+ now that they announced no plans to integrate with health kit. Soooo, the first generation :apple: watch is looking more and more attractive. At the entry price of $350, a person could blow that on activity trackers that end up useless in a short time. And I suspect the watch will be far more useful.

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
My fitbit has died and am unwilling to plunk down another 100+ now that they announced no plans to integrate with health kit. Soooo, the first generation :apple: watch is looking more and more attractive. At the entry price of $350, a person could blow that on activity trackers that end up useless in a short time. And I suspect the watch will be far more useful.

For now if you have an iPhone 5S or 6 you can use it for Steps and Milage.

FurElise

macrumors newbie
Oct 3, 2014
Midwest, USA
For now if you have an iPhone 5S or 6 you can use it for Steps and Milage.

Thank you! I do have the 6 and had not noticed that the data is being collected. Now I recall setting "Health Kit" up on my 5, but immediately realized the 5 needed a data source. Then my 6 arrived and I forgot to go back. Sometimes it takes a kind poster to remind me of the obvious. Thank you again. :)

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
...Then my 6 arrived and I forgot to go back. Sometimes it takes a kind poster to remind me of the obvious. Thank you again. :)

The 6's M chip will store up to 7 days of data (I think). So you will have some back data too.

Also looks like you are a Beethoven fan.

FurElise

macrumors newbie
Oct 3, 2014
Midwest, USA
The 6's M chip will store up to 7 days of data (I think). So you will have some back data too.

Also looks like you are a Beethoven fan.

Look at that, there is more data! Neat. A fan of most classical music, probably from all those years of piano lessons.

However, carrying a 6+ around as a step and stair counter is not as feasible so I still want a :apple: watch! ;)

docprego

macrumors 65816
Jun 12, 2007
Henderson, NV
I honestly expected something much sleeker, it seemed so bulky to me at first. In the weeks since the look has grown on me and I now definitely want one.

melman101

macrumors 68030
Sep 3, 2009
Well, honestly I didn't really want the watch at first, but after watching the iPad event, and them showing it again, man I think I have to get one of these things.

I hope the prices aren't ridiculous.

plastiksmoke

macrumors newbie
Jul 26, 2014
Seattle Wa.
I want one but I dont know if its worth the $350 price tag, plus we dont know how often we will need to charge it. I also want to know how water proof the watch will be. That will be a deciding factor for me, since the Nike FuelBand is now only $100 and does most of what the Apple Watch will do

Pretty please share? All those drugs, your having to much fun by yourself

You can either join the lengthy discussion of Gruber's post on MR here or you can read Gruber's own words here. His article is definitely worth a read. Very insightful and does a much better job (IMO) than the Apple Keynote in articulating what the Apple Watch means for Apple and the industry as a whole.

FTA: "Most people think I’m joking when I say the gold ones are going to start at $5,000. I couldn’t be more serious. I made a friendly bet last week with a few friends on the starting price for the Edition models, and I bet on $9,999"

theSeb

macrumors 604
Aug 10, 2010
none
I'll admit it. I experienced hate at first sight. I still hate it. It think it's ugly and I'm really disappointed over the price point. Unfortunately, I am a tech geek. As much as I've tried to resist it, I am certain I will buy one, and the thought of it doesn't make me happy. I am sure I will be sorry that I bought it, and/or wished I would have waited for the 2nd edition. It doesn't matter. Knowing all that, I'll still buy it.

Hate is a very strong emotion to feel about a gadget. #firstWorldProblems

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.