Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

davidbf1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 6, 2014
Hi, I'm a bit lost on what would be the best storage solution to work with my gear and needs: I have an iMac and MBP, as well as iPhone 5 and iPad Air.
I'm looking to relocate my itunes music and probably photos, off my MBP (only 250gb HDD) and potentially onto my newer more capacious iMac (1tb), but wondering if I'd be better with a large external drive plugged into an airport express or something, to perform time machine backups also.
If I did this, will it have full functionality of itunes - accessing my music AND cover artwork, or can I expect a more limited experience?
I did attempt this previously when all I had was the iPhone and MBP, and although I'd successfully moved my music onto an external HDD, when I next sync'd the phone it wiped all music from it. Luckily all my music was still on the external HDD, just itunes wasn't
T syncing it to the phone DESPITE "seeing" the new location fine and playing OK from it, on the MBP.

Thanks in advance for any advice

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.