Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iososx

macrumors 6502a
Aug 23, 2014
USA
I'm doing reasonably well with my iPad Air except it's heavy and thick. I'm not sure why Apple didn't go further in thinning down this new one.

If only it was the thickness of a credit card and weighed in under 4oz. I could get enthused about it. :eek:

Keirasplace

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2014
Montreal
I wonder how many hours of extra battery life this would have if they kept it the same thickness as last years model with the same battery? Form over function for Ive I guess? Apple has to have those specs bragging rights I guess?

Anyway, about time they had a fused screen, shame they ditched the mute switch cause it's too thin. Wonder what GPU it has in it, and if it has 2gb RAM?

How is it form over function when weight is one of the major selling point for a tablet? Seriously, I'm tired of this senseless rant.

They had to choose choose between boosting performance, diminishing weight, and boosting battery life and seeming performance and weight won.

Why? Because for most people, the tablet has a good enough battery life yet they'd love it to be lighter and more powerful. That's it; function is what it is all about.

You do realize that this thing is massively faster than last year while being smaller and lighter and that since it is clocked way lower than competing tablets, undoubtably doesn't throttle quickly either. It is a major improvement.

As a bonus you have a much better screen. a much better camera, a better wireless, free top notch productivity apps, better integration with other apple devices, and a more secure platform (touch ID).

macgabe

macrumors 6502
Dec 29, 2012
I was hoping for a 27" iPad. Wouldn't have bought one myself, but I think larger is the way to go now. The equivalent of the coffee table book.

Karma*Police

macrumors 68030
Jul 15, 2012
Apple totally neglected the iPad mini form factor. The new one has no A8 processor, no 8 mpx camera, is not thinner, not lighter. I bet it even has the same old screen. They added only Touch ID and gold color.

Most underwhelming iPad mini update ever. :mad:

I agree, but they clearly did that on purpose. I think the larger iPhones negates the need for a mini for most people and it makes sense for Apple to focus on the Air and even larger iPads and evolve them into true productivity devices.
I have a feeling Apple has big things in store for iPad and we'll be seeing that play out within the next couple of years.

Karma*Police

macrumors 68030
Jul 15, 2012
How is it form over function when weight is one of the major selling point for a tablet? Seriously, I'm tired of this senseless rant.

They had to choose choose between boosting performance, diminishing weight, and boosting battery life and seeming performance and weight won.

Why? Because for most people, the tablet has a good enough battery life yet they'd love it to be lighter and more powerful. That's it; function is what it is all about.

You do realize that this thing is massively faster than last year while being smaller and lighter and that since it is clocked way lower than competing tablets, undoubtably doesn't throttle quickly either. It is a major improvement.

As a bonus you have a much better screen. a much better camera, a better wireless, free top notch productivity apps, better integration with other apple devices, and a more secure platform (touch ID).

It's surprising how many people just don't get it. The masses would take a paper thin iPad that weighs a couple of ounces that gets a reasonable 7 hours of battery life over a 1lb tablet that's 8mm thick and gets 15 hours of battery life.

Battery life on iPad is not the problem. The weight, however, can still be vastly improved, even with the significant strides they've made with the Air.

Trahearne

macrumors 6502
Oct 6, 2014
I'm no Samsung lover, merely pointing out the facts. Apple has one of the lowest spending on R&D.
LG Prada.
Samsung Electronics has fabs, and fabs are costly and will be even more costly in the future in both running and R&D. Apple is fabless.

RockSpider

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2014
I'm doing reasonably well with my iPad Air except it's heavy and thick. I'm not sure why Apple didn't go further in thinning down this new one.

If only it was the thickness of a credit card and weighed in under 4oz. I could get enthused about it. :eek:
It can't be heavy and thick, it's called the Air because it's as light as Air according to Apple, although mine feels like a brick at times.

thefourthpope

Contributor
Sep 8, 2007
DelMarVa
Better camera, seriously? In 3+ years I've not used my rear camera for anything once. I don't speak for everyone obviously, but am I alone? Doesn't feel like it.

At a conference yesterday my phone died. I needed a pic of the award ceremony going on and used my iPad mini. First time I've taken a picture with it in over a year (like you, I've never used the rear camer on my iPad 2). The photo was fine, I guess, but I felt like an idiot and the whole process was silly. It's just not the way to take a picture.

----------

So what is the end game for thinness? How long until I can fold up an iPad and stick it in my pocket?

I thought that's what 'bend gate' was all about

thefourthpope

Contributor
Sep 8, 2007
DelMarVa
Multitask?
Separate user profiles?
Maybe browse some network shares?
A USB port?

Seems the lack of ideas coming from Apple has spread to their fans too.

It's been too long waiting on real multitasking. The new mail feature (swipe down your draft message to browse others) just makes the overall lack more aggravating.

User profiles would be such a bonus. I'm not sure what the holdup is here.

But...these are software features. And though I agree that the appeal of apple products is the marriage of soft and hardware, I thought OP was more about the hardware

partouse

macrumors newbie
Oct 19, 2014
It's been too long waiting on real multitasking. The new mail feature (swipe down your draft message to browse others) just makes the overall lack more aggravating.

User profiles would be such a bonus. I'm not sure what the holdup is here.

But...these are software features. And though I agree that the appeal of apple products is the marriage of soft and hardware, I thought OP was more about the hardware

Yes it's been too long. Being able to use apps side by side would send productivity through the roof. Having to pull away from what you're working on to type a couple of words in a reply completely derails one's focus. Given that it's taken this long, I doubt Apple will implement side by side apps until Android comes out with an implementation that starts taking away customers as was the case with phone sizes. The other possibility for rolling out that feature would have to be if they release a 13 inch iPad, which I don't see happening anytime soon.

Aloft085

macrumors regular
Sep 26, 2014

Yeah I seriously charge my iPad about once a week at best. I don't need extra battery life on the iPad.

thefourthpope

Contributor
Sep 8, 2007
DelMarVa
Yes it's been too long. Being able to use apps side by side would send productivity through the roof. Having to pull away from what you're working on to type a couple of words in a reply completely derails one's focus. Given that it's taken this long, I doubt Apple will implement side by side apps until Android comes out with an implementation that starts taking away customers as was the case with phone sizes. The other possibility for rolling out that feature would have to be if they release a 13 inch iPad, which I don't see happening anytime soon.

It's such an inefficient system right now.
I think it would also benefit from an overhaul of how iOS handles copy and paste. A true side by side multitasking incorporating some kind of drag and drop cut/paste feature would be so welcome.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.