Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BPMCH02

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 10, 2007
Michigan
This thread is for us to form a list of places we have used Apple Pay successfully that are either "supported" or (more importantly) "unsupported" locations.

For example...did you go to a store with the NFC logo that is not listed as a "participating retailer" by Apple and have success? Post that here...

Basically, let's not get into a real discussion on this thread about Apple Pay, but rather simply post retailers where we had success with Apple Pay.

I used it at McDonalds today without issue.

Vegasryn

macrumors 6502
Mar 31, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
There is no such thing as a an unsupported merchant. If they accept NFC, they accept Apple Pay. The list that Apple has, simply is for companies that have insured that EVERY location is equipped to take Apple Pay, or any NFC for that matter.

Zexel

macrumors member
Mar 15, 2010
Massachusetts
The non Apple Pay partners I've tried it with so far that have worked at Rite Aid and a vending machine. Both worked great - no hiccups at all with either my AmEx Platinum or Chase Sapphire Preferred.

Oddly enough, the other place I tried, Panera Bread, did not work. I think it was the cashiers fault.

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
Is Apple Pay always "Apple Pay?"

What I mean is, if you try to pay at these so-called "unsupported" stores and vending machines and they work, are you getting full Apple Pay with tokenization or is it possible that the iPhone can fall back to using the credit card numbers with NFC the same as other services use?

In other words, can an iPhone pretend it's not Apple Pay, but a plain old credit card?

I guess I'm just unclear about how I'm hearing about things like vending machines working if doesn't do something like that. But I admit that sounds un-Apple-like and so I'd expect that it's not doing that and that paying with an iPhone is always Apple Pay.

Zexel

macrumors member
Mar 15, 2010
Massachusetts

What I mean is, if you try to pay at these so-called "unsupported" stores and vending machines and they work, are you getting full Apple Pay with tokenization or is it possible that the iPhone can fall back to using the credit card numbers with NFC the same as other services use?

In other words, can an iPhone pretend it's not Apple Pay, but a plain old credit card?

I guess I'm just unclear about how I'm hearing about things like vending machines working if doesn't do something like that. But I admit that sounds un-Apple-like and so I'd expect that it's not doing that and that paying with an iPhone is always Apple Pay.

It always uses tokenization. My receipt from Rite Aid showed the last four of my device account number, not my actual credit card number.

MTShipp

macrumors 6502a
Mar 25, 2009
Raleigh, North Carolina
What about those vending machines that allow you to swipe your CC or touch it if your card has the chip in it? Is that the same as NFC? Or am I off base? Would they specifically state "NFC" on them somewhere?

ohsnap

macrumors regular
Aug 5, 2004
Same here, went to CVS worked instantly. In fact, I put the iP6+ near the device, looked at the teller, and by the time I looked back, it had gone thru. Did have to sign my name on the NFC device though.

YodasMaster

macrumors regular
Nov 10, 2012
It did NOT work at the Lego a Store, however it did work at OfficeMax. Both are not on Apple's "list".

mrcobra92

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2014
What about those vending machines that allow you to swipe your CC or touch it if your card has the chip in it? Is that the same as NFC? Or am I off base? Would they specifically state "NFC" on them somewhere?

That worked as well, as long as there is the NFC symbol somewhere on the payment area, then it will work.

ohsnap

macrumors regular
Aug 5, 2004

I know of no vending machine that accepts NFC. Look for something that looks like a sideways WiFi symbol.

edit: I'm an idiot, just because I've never seen one, doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

Looks like this:

Attachments

• images.jpeg
    images.jpeg
    3.3 KB · Views: 859

caesarp

macrumors 65816
Sep 30, 2012

No. Apple pay is Apple pay.

bizzy045

macrumors 6502
Oct 5, 2011
Same here, went to CVS worked instantly. In fact, I put the iP6+ near the device, looked at the teller, and by the time I looked back, it had gone thru. Did have to sign my name on the NFC device though.

I just used it at CVS, but didn't have to sign anything ($15 total purchase)..isn't the point of apple pay - that you don't have to sign..that's what the fingerprint is for..anyone else have to sign when using apple pay?

NoBoMac

Staff member
Jul 1, 2014
Last edited:

mantan

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2009
DFW
There is no such thing as a an unsupported merchant. If they accept NFC, they accept Apple Pay. The list that Apple has, simply is for companies that have insured that EVERY location is equipped to take Apple Pay, or any NFC for that matter.

What about MCX POS places like Walmart, Best Buy, Target, 7-11? Don't they technically support NFC, but do not support Apple Pay?

PN4

macrumors regular
Feb 24, 2011
CHS
I know of no vending machine that accepts NFC. Look for something that looks like a sideways WiFi symbol.

edit: I'm an idiot, just because I've never seen one, doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

Looks like this:

I see your edit, but just wanted to say all of the vending machines at my work have NFC and I used my iPhone today to buy a soda.

Natesac

macrumors 6502a
May 29, 2008
Dallas,Tx
What about MCX POS places like Walmart, Best Buy, Target, 7-11? Don't they technically support NFC, but do not support Apple Pay?

I tried at 7-11 today. My iPhone 6 popped up the apple play screen when I held it near the NFC, scanned my print, then the register declined the transaction. Had to scan my plastic

Tried at walgreens, apple pay worked, but I had to enter my debit pin # and do the "Ammount OK?" and "Do you want cash back?" song and dance.

kaielement

macrumors 65816
Dec 16, 2010

LOL Best Buy has NFC terminals but they don't do anything every once and a while when I shop there I accidentally activate it when my card comes close to the sensor (my card is one that has nfc in it) and it errors out saying that contactless payment not supported. I can only guess its a soft wear issue but as stated before Best Buy already said it wouldn't support Apple Pay. Pretty funny when a company like Best Buy tells me they sell the latest and greatest and will support me for the life of my product but in fact they really don't. Bit ironic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.