Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mixel

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2006
Leeds, UK
I run my bootcamp partition from Parallels. Does it really give a better performance? I thought it would be the same
Performance is a lot better in Bootcamp - partly because all the ram and cpu is dedicated to the native OS in Bootcamp.

Things like games run a looooot better in Bootcamp. Many are still playable in parallels but you lose a lot of FPS and some graphical effects tend to not work as well.

MacBH928

macrumors G3
May 17, 2008
Yes bet I meant, what if I use Parallels to use my bootcamp partition. Is it any different than installing a Virtual Machine within parallels?

I didn't actually mean re-booting my macbook into Windows

Sym0

macrumors 6502
Jun 6, 2013
Yes bet I meant, what if I use Parallels to use my bootcamp partition. Is it any different than installing a Virtual Machine within parallels?

I didn't actually mean re-booting my macbook into Windows

This is what I do, I have W8.1 (formally W7) in bootcamp, and I directed Parallels and now Fusion to the bootcamp. Only one install of windows but I can access it via VM or reboot.

MacBH928

macrumors G3
May 17, 2008
This is what I do, I have W8.1 (formally W7) in bootcamp, and I directed Parallels and now Fusion to the bootcamp. Only one install of windows but I can access it via VM or reboot.

does it have any advantages in performance?

Sym0

macrumors 6502
Jun 6, 2013
does it have any advantages in performance?

No. Just means which ever way you boot you have just the one w8.1 install. Because you could have one bootcamp and multiple VM systems but if you just want one OSX and one Wondows (with two ways to access) then just use VM Fusion to access bootcamp in osx.

cjd

macrumors newbie
Nov 25, 2010
Fusion 6 and 7 lack multiple display support

I was able to use 4 displays with a Fusion 5 WinXP VM. Fusion 6 and 7 seem to only support 2 displays. Spoke to VMWare support. It is a known issue on V6 which was supposed to be fixed on V7 but apparently it is not. Stay on V5 if you need to use more than 2 displays.

----------

Will Fusion 6 still run on Yosemite ?

Yes, It does.

pygothian

macrumors newbie
Sep 3, 2014
They finally honoured the upgrade

After quite a few emails, a complaint, and escalation to a manager they eventually honoured the upgrade to the latest version for me.

I was apparently 6 hours outside their "grace period" of purchasing and receiving the upgrade.

I basically argued, if they had mentioned their we about to release a new version, I would have never purchased the prior version in 6 hours prior to releasing a new version.

Sym0

macrumors 6502
Jun 6, 2013
Version 7.0.1 is out and while they don't detail the changes in detail the performance seems to be back to V6 levels, but I am running it in iGPU mode so if it's this good in iGPU, then dGPU should be alright...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.