Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eyeangle

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 2, 2014
Melbourne, Australia
I'm thinking of buying the EVGA GeForce GTX 680 for my 2010 Mac Pro.

I read on the site someone in the review section said after installing the card I'll need to
"download the drivers first. And also download the CUDA drivers from NVIDIA, this is a separate download. If you use Windows via BootCamp, another download is needed but can be done after the card is installed."

What drivers is he talking about and what exactly is the CUDA driver? Will I really need it?

Also, the Windows drivers?? Will I need the Windows 7 driver or the Mac Bootcamp Windows 7 driver? If there's any difference...

MacVidCards

Suspended
Nov 17, 2008
Hollywood, CA
I'm thinking of buying the EVGA GeForce GTX 680 for my 2010 Mac Pro.

I read on the site someone in the review section said after installing the card I'll need to
"download the drivers first. And also download the CUDA drivers from NVIDIA, this is a separate download. If you use Windows via BootCamp, another download is needed but can be done after the card is installed."

What drivers is he talking about and what exactly is the CUDA driver? Will I really need it?

Also, the Windows drivers?? Will I need the Windows 7 driver or the Mac Bootcamp Windows 7 driver? If there's any difference...

One of the fundamental differences between OS X and Windows is that any given version of OS X contains drivers for any and all GPUs "supported" by that version.

This is both a blessing and a curse. So, all you need is a new enough version of OS X and drivers for 680 are already in there.

Nvidia offeres for each OS a separate set of drivers that improve some things. They call these the "Web Drivers", they are a supplement, not a requirement, unless you are on "bleeding edge". (GTX980)

CUDA is a completely separate thing, worth a google. If you don't know what it is, you might vey well not need it.

Windows has a basic set of drivers for most things from our friends in Redmond. Most often you are better off downloading latest ones and using those. The Apple Bootcamp ones are like most Apple products, stuck in a place in time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.